Ignition/Tuner/ECM/Fuel Injection Need advice on ignition issues? Questions about a tuner? Have questions about a EFI calibration or Fuel Injection? Tips on Engine Diagnostics, how to get codes, and what they mean. Find your answers here.

18mm O2 port placement 2006 RK

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2019, 12:31 PM
FLTRI17
Stellar HDF Member
Received 599 Likes on 414 Posts

From my experiences Max and Ed are spot on. By the nature of the exhaust design it feeds air into the rear sensor at light throttling as you would experience slow riding in town or maneuvering parking lot speeds.
So the fix is to cause enough restriction on the left side to reduce air pollution to the sensor.
The best resolve, in my experience, is to find a 2009 headpipe, gut the cat if it has one, and install it to retain the dual exhaust while assuring good sensor sampling.
Another resolve is to use an adapter to eliminate the “y” pipe and convert it to tru-duals. The kit includes a “j” pipe for the rear and a straight piece to connect the front headpipe to the tailpipe. While not my favorite exhaust design at least it runs better due to better sensor sampling.
And the best resolve IMO is to spend the money to get a well-designed 2:1 but certainly not necessary to get a great running bike.
Bob

Old 02-11-2019, 11:19 AM
hrdtail78
Road Warrior

Received 565 Likes on 393 Posts

Originally Posted by FLTRI17
From my experiences Max and Ed are spot on. By the nature of the exhaust design it feeds air into the rear sensor at light throttling as you would experience slow riding in town or maneuvering parking lot speeds.
So the fix is to cause enough restriction on the left side to reduce air pollution to the sensor.
The best resolve, in my experience, is to find a 2009 headpipe, gut the cat if it has one, and install it to retain the dual exhaust while assuring good sensor sampling.
Another resolve is to use an adapter to eliminate the “y” pipe and convert it to tru-duals. The kit includes a “j” pipe for the rear and a straight piece to connect the front headpipe to the tailpipe. While not my favorite exhaust design at least it runs better due to better sensor sampling.
And the best resolve IMO is to spend the money to get a well-designed 2:1 but certainly not necessary to get a great running bike.
Bob
Yeah, those guys really knocked it out of the park with their suggestions.

Old 02-11-2019, 03:10 PM
Ed Ramberger
Stellar HDF Member
Received 887 Likes on 621 Posts

One last thing - if running the head pipe that runs up to 2008, when the rear pipe is off, remove the internal portion of the pipe that protrudes from the rear head down into the horizontal portion of the pipe. You will find that it can easily block 1/3 of the horizontal runner. I use a steel deburring bit to grind it right off.