Ignition/Tuner/ECM/Fuel Injection Need advice on ignition issues? Questions about a tuner? Have questions about a EFI calibration or Fuel Injection? Tips on Engine Diagnostics, how to get codes, and what they mean. Find your answers here.

Please validate - TTS vtune plans after full engine rebuild

Old 02-11-2019, 10:28 AM
grasscat
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Please validate - TTS vtune plans after full engine rebuild

i just rebuilt my entire engine, top and bottom, and am about to start some break-in runs but wanted to validate my TTS process with the community first to make sure it is sound. my previous TTS tune was done on a dyno by a very good tuner and i enjoyed the tune for about 2 years. wanted to get some extra eyes on my process before i get going on this break-in. already did 3 heat cycles to 150 degree head temp and let cool completely.

the break-in period of an engine is super important so i wanted to double check. if i could afford to have it done on a dyno i would go that route, but i only have enough money to get it dyno'ed one time so would like to do that after i get 1,000 miles on the new build.

old engine:
  • 103", dragos 580 cams, stock throttle body, stage 1 air cleaner, dragos 2-1 pipe

new engine:
  • 117" with casework and s&s crank, s&s 570 cam, 58mm throttle body, 5.3g injectors, stage 1 air cleaner, dragos 2-1 pipe

i was thinking that since the dragos 580 cam and the s&s cam had such similar intake open/close profile i could use my original tune as a basemap. i wasn't able to find a calibration file that matched my setup that closely.

S&S 570
intake open/close 20/40
exhaust open/close 55/20

dragos 580
intake open/close 20/42
exhaust open/close 44/18

here is my process:
  1. take existing TTS tune, change ECU ci to 117, fuel injector size to 5.32
  2. reload and do heat cycles (<-- i am at this step, engine idled great during heat cycles)
  3. prepare basemap for vtune runs
    1. set all cells in main lambda table to .977
    2. set adaptive knock retard to 0
    3. change PE mode in ECU constants to 10k rpm
  4. save this as a new file and load into bike
  5. setup flight recorder and go do some break in runs
  6. come back and run vtune
  7. rinse and repeat until changes are less than 3-5%
  8. put back in main lambda setup, adaptive knock retard, and PE mode to starting map values

this sound right?

Old 02-11-2019, 10:56 AM
rigidthumper
Stellar HDF Member

Received 5,373 Likes on 1,581 Posts

Might want to read about recording cam tune data, section 4.7.2 in the TTS Tuning guide, and then use Datamaster to record cam tune data ( I do this on the first heat cycle) to verify/set IVO. Apply any changes as needed, set rev limit to 4000, flash the bike, then start running the flight recorder sessions. Since you don't want to spend a whole lot of time in any one area that's not close, start off with neighborhood stop and go- gives the opportunity to run up & down the lower gears without spending a lot of time at any one RPM/Throttle position, yet still load/unload the rings to help them wear in. A few Vtune sessions of 15 minutes each without sitting and idling/WOT bursts should get the majority of the closed loop section close. Pay attention to what parts of the map you get naturally, with your riding style, then modify that style on subsequent runs, to fill in more cells. Using a notated piece of tape on the grip to roughly mark throttle position will help this psocess.

Old 02-11-2019, 12:16 PM
grasscat
Intermediate

Originally Posted by rigidthumper
Might want to read about recording cam tune data, section 4.7.2 in the TTS Tuning guide, and then use Datamaster to record cam tune data ( I do this on the first heat cycle) to verify/set IVO. Apply any changes as needed, set rev limit to 4000, flash the bike, then start running the flight recorder sessions. Since you don't want to spend a whole lot of time in any one area that's not close, start off with neighborhood stop and go- gives the opportunity to run up & down the lower gears without spending a lot of time at any one RPM/Throttle position, yet still load/unload the rings to help them wear in. A few Vtune sessions of 15 minutes each without sitting and idling/WOT bursts should get the majority of the closed loop section close. Pay attention to what parts of the map you get naturally, with your riding style, then modify that style on subsequent runs, to fill in more cells. Using a notated piece of tape on the grip to roughly mark throttle position will help this psocess.
on the camtune it advises to bring the bike to operating temp then record for 3 minutes...i'm worried this is too much time to be sitting in idle on a fresh build...i could do a 3 minute heat cycle and capture camtune data, but it would be from a cold engine. not sure how much of a difference this makes..

Old 02-11-2019, 01:39 PM
FLTRI17
Stellar HDF Member
Received 599 Likes on 414 Posts

CamTune works fine with 1 minute if recorded under 1100 rpm. I think your proposed base/start map will work ok as a starter to do vtunes.
You also may discover you need to increase cubic inches because you will not get enough fuel (VEs maxed at 127.5) around max torque. The software will figure it out for you and make suggestions.
Bob

Old 02-11-2019, 06:02 PM
grasscat
Intermediate

Originally Posted by FLTRI17
CamTune works fine with 1 minute if recorded under 1100 rpm. I think your proposed base/start map will work ok as a starter to do vtunes.
You also may discover you need to increase cubic inches because you will not get enough fuel (VEs maxed at 127.5) around max torque. The software will figure it out for you and make suggestions.
Bob
did a 4th heat cycle and collected cam tune data...validated that the previous tune had it right on the money...now time for some break in runs