Ignition/Tuner/ECM/Fuel Injection Need advice on ignition issues? Questions about a tuner? Have questions about a EFI calibration or Fuel Injection? Tips on Engine Diagnostics, how to get codes, and what they mean. Find your answers here.

Fuelpak 3 and Custom dyno tune Question

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2019, 07:53 PM
sickstring04
Intermediate
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Fuelpak 3 and Custom dyno tune Question

Hi guys, I currently have a 2018 Road Glide, stage one with Fuelpak 3 map. I am having a S&S 475C cam installed and a custom dyno tune done, which will replace the Fuelpak 3 map. My question is, can I go back to the fuelpak 3 and store the custom dyno’ tuned map, and then install one of the fuelpak 3 map for cams to play around with, or will it completely wipe out the custom tune? I’m not 100% sure what he uses on the dyno but I think it’s S&S Protune? I’d obviously want to go back to the custom tune that my dyno tuner installed if it is a lot better. I’d just also like to have the option of trying out the Fuelpak 3 with auto tune and be able to compare. Any info on this is greatly appreciated. Thanks

Old 02-22-2019, 10:24 AM
Fireball Jack
Stellar HDF Member
Received 813 Likes on 560 Posts

Get the professional tune and forget about FP3 .

Old 02-22-2019, 12:28 PM
vanceandhines
Former Sponsor
Received 178 Likes on 94 Posts

Originally Posted by sickstring04
Hi guys, I currently have a 2018 Road Glide, stage one with Fuelpak 3 map. I am having a S&S 475C cam installed and a custom dyno tune done, which will replace the Fuelpak 3 map. My question is, can I go back to the fuelpak 3 and store the custom dyno’ tuned map, and then install one of the fuelpak 3 map for cams to play around with, or will it completely wipe out the custom tune? I’m not 100% sure what he uses on the dyno but I think it’s S&S Protune? I’d obviously want to go back to the custom tune that my dyno tuner installed if it is a lot better. I’d just also like to have the option of trying out the Fuelpak 3 with auto tune and be able to compare. Any info on this is greatly appreciated. Thanks
Hey Sickstring04! There's a dealer about an hour drive away from you in Pawtucket that has a Fuelpak Pro: Precision Harley-Davidson
With that unit they can fully dyno tune your current FP3, and if they copy and start the mapping procedure from a different map slot, then your current tune will remain intact. This would be the perfect solution to your tuning requirements as you'd only be out some labor with no additional hardware cost.

If you have any further questions or the shop needs some help, hit me up at FPPro@vanceandhines.com

Bryan
Brand Manager, Electronics

The following users liked this post:
Backroads1 (10-04-2023)
Old 02-22-2019, 12:48 PM
GregGillette
Road Master
Received 247 Likes on 174 Posts

Curious to know when this route is done (dyno with fp3 pro and saved to your own fp3) is there any reduced function in doing additional auto tuning or is it just business as usual going forward with a new tune in a new slot? Is it saved as an original slot or one that could get wiped by mistake?

Old 02-22-2019, 01:11 PM
vanceandhines
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by GregGillette
Curious to know when this route is done (dyno with fp3 pro and saved to your own fp3) is there any reduced function in doing additional auto tuning or is it just business as usual going forward with a new tune in a new slot? Is it saved as an original slot or one that could get wiped by mistake?
We leave it entirely up to the discretion of the shop/tuner. There's a portion of the Cloud Dealer-Only server where they can opt in to have maps downloaded from the server retain their functionality to view and edit the tables, conversely they can also choose to lock customers out from making any changes to the map. So we're giving the dealers the tools to make the decision, since they are the ones ultimately responsible for your bike if they built the motor and tuned it. If that is the case, normal FP3 functionality for Live Data, reading and clearing trouble codes, etc. is all present.

The file is not saved as the 0-slot map, and is still capable of being deleted by the end user. With the cloud storage however, you would simply contact the Dealer and they would still have access to get you that map in the event something like that ever happened.

Bryan

Old 02-22-2019, 02:02 PM
sickstring04
Intermediate

This is good info, thanks. The shop that is doing the work will not be using the Fuelpak 3 at all. I need to return my bike to the stock map and then they will Dyno it and install their own map. What I was wondering was what would happen if I reconnected to the Fuelpak 3? Would it upload and save the map that the shop had done and save it to one of the empty slots on Fuelpak 3, or would it totally wipe out the tune that they had installed? I’d like to continue using the Fuelpak 3 for live data and possibly try one of the Fuelpak 3 maps for the cam and be able to switch back to the map that the shop installed when needed. The shop said that they keep my tune in their cloud so if anything g were to happen they could always reflash if needed. I’d just rather have the ability to flash back to it myself if the fuelpak 3 saves it to one of its slots.

Old 02-22-2019, 02:57 PM
vanceandhines
Former Sponsor

This is good info, thanks. The shop that is doing the work will not be using the Fuelpak 3 at all. I need to return my bike to the stock map and then they will Dyno it and install their own map. What I was wondering was what would happen if I reconnected to the Fuelpak 3? Would it upload and save the map that the shop had done and save it to one of the empty slots on Fuelpak 3, or would it totally wipe out the tune that they had installed? I’d like to continue using the Fuelpak 3 for live data and possibly try one of the Fuelpak 3 maps for the cam and be able to switch back to the map that the shop installed when needed. The shop said that they keep my tune in their cloud so if anything g were to happen they could always reflash if needed. I’d just rather have the ability to flash back to it myself if the fuelpak 3 saves it to one of its slots.
For this sort of thing the FP3 will not automatically back it up as it did when it was first plugged into the bike, but here's the workaround:

- Plug the FP3 into the bike after the shop has tuned it, and do not flash or do anything to the loaded map
- Navigate to the Customer Support menu, and select Upload ECM Content

This will put that tune onto our server, so that we can then send it back to you to be downloaded and flashed into a new slot. This would allow you to flash that map back and forth as you wish, or even use their map as a starting point moving forward...entirely up to you. Once you upload the map, shoot me an email to FPPro@vanceandhines.com reminding me of this thread, supply me with the last 6 of your VIN, and I'l relabel the map and shoot it back your way.

Bryan

The following 2 users liked this post by vanceandhines:
2017M8 (08-02-2020), coolmaven (01-13-2020)
Old 02-22-2019, 03:05 PM
sickstring04
Intermediate

Originally Posted by vanceandhines
For this sort of thing the FP3 will not automatically back it up as it did when it was first plugged into the bike, but here's the workaround:

- Plug the FP3 into the bike after the shop has tuned it, and do not flash or do anything to the loaded map

This will put that tune onto our server, so that we can then send it back to you to be downloaded and flashed into a new slot. This would allow you to flash that map back and forth as you wish, or even use their map as a starting point moving forward...entirely up to you. Once you upload the map, shoot me an email to FPPro@vanceandhines.com reminding me of this thread, supply me with the last 6 of your VIN, and I'l relabel the map and shoot it back your way.

Bryan
Yes!!! This is what I’ve been looking for!! Awesome, I will do this once the bike is done. Thank you so much for that info

Old 02-22-2019, 03:23 PM
vanceandhines
Former Sponsor

Yes!!! This is what I’ve been looking for!! Awesome, I will do this once the bike is done. Thank you so much for that info
You're most welcome! I'm so glad that we could help!!!

Bryan

Old 02-22-2019, 03:51 PM
sickstring04
Intermediate

Originally Posted by vanceandhines

Bryan
After I do this can I continue using their map but still benefit from using the throttle progressivist settings from the Fuelpak 3?

Quick Reply: Fuelpak 3 and Custom dyno tune Question