Ignition/Tuner/ECM/Fuel Injection Need advice on ignition issues? Questions about a tuner? Have questions about a EFI calibration or Fuel Injection? Tips on Engine Diagnostics, how to get codes, and what they mean. Find your answers here.

HD Newbie. No Fuel??

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2019, 12:57 PM
mortensenbt
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Talking HD Newbie. No Fuel??

HI all. I am new to the HOG family. I just purchased a 2008 Electra Glide Classic with 58k miles. Previous owner didn't ride for 3 years and bike sat on a trickle charger and was fired up every few weeks. Previous owner tried to fire it up when I went to look at it and found it wouldn't fire up and idle. It would turn but not fire. Assuming it was a fuel pump issue, he replaced the relay and it fired up. He drove it to the car wash and hosed it down and then on his way home it seemed to run out of gas. It had fuel so he open the tank and found the fuel lines were cracked. He replace the lines coming off the pump along with the filter and strainer and the bike fired right up. It starter over and over again with out any issues and even ran around town on it. I went down to purchase it the next day and now it won't fire up. He acts like it isn't getting gas. I went ahead a bought it for $700 less than what he was asking since it wouldn't idle and stay running. What do I check next? It sounds like the fuel pump is engaging, but could it still be faulty? I disconnected the tank from the line at the quick disconnect and some fuel comes out. Should I proceed with a fuel pump change out? Thanks

Old 05-01-2019, 12:00 PM
larsfum
Stellar HDF Member
Received 458 Likes on 323 Posts

Are you sure it is a fuel issue, and not a spark problem? If you hear the fuel pump pressurize the lines on start up, then it is probably OK. Is there fresh gas in it? recheck the work that the PO did in replacing the lines, and filter. Test the fuel pressure. That will tell if the pump and regulator are good.

Old 05-01-2019, 12:41 PM
mortensenbt
2nd Gear
Angry

Originally Posted by larsfum
Are you sure it is a fuel issue, and not a spark problem? If you hear the fuel pump pressurize the lines on start up, then it is probably OK. Is there fresh gas in it? recheck the work that the PO did in replacing the lines, and filter. Test the fuel pressure. That will tell if the pump and regulator are good.
So we dug in to it last night. Found a couple things: the PO didn't clamp the new gas line coming from the fuel filter to the petcock, (idiot), so that was loose. We also found that the braided fuel line going from the tank to the EFI system appears to be collapsed on the slight bend. I have ordered a new braided line along with an OEM intake fuel line so that I know it's all correct. I will update you all.

Old 05-07-2019, 07:52 AM
nutsandbolts5212
Road Warrior

Received 793 Likes on 352 Posts

Also, run a diagnostic test and check codes, I'm sure there will be a few.

Ride safe!

Old 05-07-2019, 08:24 AM
mortensenbt
2nd Gear
Default All fixed!!

I replaced the fuel line from the filter down to the tank disconnect as well as the hose going in to the EFI. Put it back together and it fired right up. Been riding all weekend.