Ignition/Tuner/ECM/Fuel Injection Need advice on ignition issues? Questions about a tuner? Have questions about a EFI calibration or Fuel Injection? Tips on Engine Diagnostics, how to get codes, and what they mean. Find your answers here.

Ignition problems after parking downhill - FHLTCU 2008

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-2019, 04:20 AM
Chyp
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ignition problems after parking downhill - FHLTCU 2008

Greetings folks,
I’m new to the Harley Davidson side of the world, and got myself an Electra Glide Ultra Classic 2008, with ABS and EFI. Loving the bike, although I’ve been experiencing a problem these last weeks. My house is on a road slightly downhill, and to open the gates I need to stop the bike, as I try to start it again it never starts the first time. Sounds like it will, but then just let’s out a small explosion and stalls, let’s out a tiny bit of smoke from the spark plug area it seemed. Second try usually starts with no effort, but yesterday it took me 4 tries to get her going. This only happens when parking downhill, on leveled ground or going up she starts with no effort. I’m still learning my ways with basic motorcycle mechanics so could someone give me some opinions? Thanks in advance

Old 06-09-2019, 05:52 AM
Sorce
Tourer
Received 95 Likes on 65 Posts

Leave it running!

Sorce

Old 06-09-2019, 05:54 AM
Chyp
1st Gear

Originally Posted by Sorce
Leave it running!

Sorce
I would love to, unfortunately european versions come with some gimmick that turns off the bike as soon as you pop the jiffy stand. I wonder if there's an easy way to turn that off

also i'm on a slope so the only way i can park it is in gear, or she'll roll down the road heh

Last edited by Chyp; 06-09-2019 at 06:03 AM.
Old 06-09-2019, 07:38 AM
bustert
Grand HDF Member
Received 714 Likes on 625 Posts

has it been properly warmed up?
short stroking a cold engine can leave unburned fuel in the chamber.
also, a leaky injectors can dribble in excess fuel since the fuel rail will hold pressure for a while.
less likely but can contribute is spark plug gap.

Old 06-09-2019, 08:52 AM
Chyp
1st Gear

Originally Posted by bustert
has it been properly warmed up?
short stroking a cold engine can leave unburned fuel in the chamber.
also, a leaky injectors can dribble in excess fuel since the fuel rail will hold pressure for a while.
less likely but can contribute is spark plug gap.
I usually let her idle for one or two minutes before taking off. I was thinking about trying some iridium spark plugs tomorrow, as I used to love them on my old bike, will check if it helps. Beside that I also heard people saying it might be a leaky injector. Would that be an ea$y fix? Thank you so much for the help

Old 06-09-2019, 09:06 AM
RDHIGH
Tourer
Received 136 Likes on 102 Posts

Could be the old compensator issue popping up. My 2008 ultra is always iffy on restarts. (Waiting on my Baker unit). Does it bang hard on the first start?(sounds like a hammer on metal). Thats where my issues first reared its ugly head.

Old 06-09-2019, 09:20 AM
skid_pimp
Road Warrior
Received 416 Likes on 311 Posts

you can disable the jiffy stand interlock if you so desire, it is simple. And unless you are on a fairly steep hill, if you turn the bars, I bet it stays just fine in neutral FYI.

Old 06-09-2019, 09:36 AM
Chyp
1st Gear

Originally Posted by skid_pimp
you can disable the jiffy stand interlock if you so desire, it is simple. And unless you are on a fairly steep hill, if you turn the bars, I bet it stays just fine in neutral FYI.
ill need to research that, it’s actually something I hate, not being able to warm up the bike on the jiffy , thanks for the tip!

Old 06-09-2019, 09:39 AM
Chyp
1st Gear

Originally Posted by RDHIGH
Could be the old compensator issue popping up. My 2008 ultra is always iffy on restarts. (Waiting on my Baker unit). Does it bang hard on the first start?(sounds like a hammer on metal). Thats where my issues first reared its ugly head.
Havent noticed, in fact she starts pretty smooth in the morning . Have tried stoping on a leveled ground after the same exact route I do, restarting it and it starts with no effort. It’s only pointing her downhill that generates this issue. Got service in 2k miles and might ask them to check that out tho, thanks

Old 06-10-2019, 10:49 PM
Max Headflow
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,234 Likes on 3,613 Posts

You may have a fuel pressure problem.. Hole in the tank exit line. Bike will have more of an issue when cold. Down hill might make a difference if tank fuel level is typically the same.