Ignition/Tuner/ECM/Fuel Injection Need advice on ignition issues? Questions about a tuner? Have questions about a EFI calibration or Fuel Injection? Tips on Engine Diagnostics, how to get codes, and what they mean. Find your answers here.

Need some help, please

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-2019, 09:07 PM
hdelectra
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need some help, please

Hey all,

Went out for a ride yesterday on my scooter and had something weird happen and I'm hoping maybe someone here can give me an idea what may be going on or have some ideas of things to check.

Anyways, I have a carbureted 2004 Springer Softail with the TC88 with a Heavy Breather intake and Vance & Hines Straight Shots exhaust. I had been out on the highway running at about 75 or 80 for 30 minutes or so. I pulled off the highway and rode over to a gas station (just off the highway) to top off the tank. After fueling up, I went to turn the ignition back on and the bike was completely dead when I turned the switch (no likes, no fuel pump indicator, nothing). I turned the bike back off and waited for about 5 or 10 seconds (wondering what was going on). I then attempted to turn the bike back on. This time the lights came back on as normal, but when I hit the starter switch, absolutely nothing happened.. I turned the bike back off, waited another 5 seconds and then turned it back on. This time around, the lights came on again, but when I hit the starter switch, the starter solenoid clicked rapidly, like a low battery or something. Once again I turned the bike back off, waited another 5 or 10 seconds, then turned it back on. This time the bike turned over (like normal) and I was able to get it started.

Last year, I had to replace the battery. I've had the bike for 4 years now and other than normal maintenance (fluid and filter changes) that is the only repair money I've had to throw at it.

Does this seem like a heat related thing? I know from my experience with automobiles that starters can develop dead spots and can be affected by heat from headers and such, but I've never heard of bike starters being affected in the same way.

What seems most odd to me was the complete lack of power (no lights, no fuel pump, etc) when I first turned the switch back on after topping off the tank. Then for the situation to slowly improve each time I turned the switch back off, waited for a few seconds and then turning it back on.

Thoughts? Suggestions?

Thanks in advance.

Old 06-16-2019, 10:26 PM
FLTRI17
Stellar HDF Member
Received 599 Likes on 414 Posts

Tighten the battery connections. And check the other ends of the cables to be sure they’re tight. Also closely examine the ends where the wire is exposed for corrosion. If you see any signs of it replace the cable.
Bob

Last edited by FLTRI17; 06-16-2019 at 10:28 PM.