Ignition/Tuner/ECM/Fuel Injection Need advice on ignition issues? Questions about a tuner? Have questions about a EFI calibration or Fuel Injection? Tips on Engine Diagnostics, how to get codes, and what they mean. Find your answers here.

sudden onset of stalling

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-2019, 10:30 AM
Swa Man
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default sudden onset of stalling

Hi All!
I ride an '03 Road King Police with a power commander installed by previous owner. (I know nothing about these things.) No other mods.
I've added about 36K miles to the clock. The bike has run fine for the last 5 years that I have owned it, but recently has taken to indiscriminate stalling, usually when I am slowing down, not necessarily to a stop.
No warning signs, no unusual engine sounds.........simple coasts down and stalls, then I'm able to start it right back up.
I have only needed routine maintenance since buying the bike, so it hasn't been messed with.
Any ideas as to where I should begin looking for problems?
Thanks in advance for your time and advice!
Frank

Old 07-12-2019, 11:46 AM
nevil
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 969 Likes on 732 Posts

First I would clean the IAC, check all battery cables and grounds. Then I would pull off that PC and see if it still stalls.

Old 07-12-2019, 04:56 PM
scotty3
Road Captain
Received 22 Likes on 22 Posts

As above and if it still happens look at your speed sensor as that will also cause those problems.

Old 07-12-2019, 09:34 PM
im
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 792 Likes on 603 Posts

To me it reads as possible fuel related based on limited information.
As in something inside the tank is compromised.
If it runs OK at higher speeds but then occurs only when slowing.
Almost as if there is insufficient fuel flow or pressure.

Old 07-13-2019, 01:23 AM
scotty3
Road Captain
Received 22 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by im
To me it reads as possible fuel related based on limited information.
As in something inside the tank is compromised.
If it runs OK at higher speeds but then occurs only when slowing.
Almost as if there is insufficient fuel flow or pressure.
Anything is possible based on the limited information supplied however a lot of people just think the VSS (vehicle speed sensor) just controls the speedometer but when you delve right into the ECM and TSM or TSSM you find out it does a few other things.
The VSS is used as an input for idle speed control and a slightly faulty or one covered in metal junk from the transmission can cause the bike to just stall when slowing down to a stop.
It is one of those annoying little things because the speedometer works and the signals cancel but it reads 1 when it should be reading 0 and bang loss of idle speed control and the bike stalls.
Caught more than few techs of guard and plenty more home mechanics.

Old 07-14-2019, 01:37 PM
Swa Man
6th Gear

Originally Posted by nevil
First I would clean the IAC, check all battery cables and grounds. Then I would pull off that PC and see if it still stalls.
HOLY CRAPCICLE!

You nailed it!.............as well as embarrassed me. It's shocking how quickly I realized just how negligent I had been, as soon as I removed the air cleaner cover!
With your advice, and a quick YouTube video on what it is and how to clean it, I gave the IAC a thorough cleaning, as well as the air filter, which I found to be filthy and obviously incapable of allowing sufficient airflow.
Also checked teh battery cables, and as long as I was in there, added a liberal coating of DE grease to the cleaned contacts.

Thanks for the help, and also the unsolicited lesson in how "ya just don't RIDE 'EM, dumbass"! I'm back in the garage today, looking over a few more maintenance items that I may have over looked for a bit too long.

Old 07-14-2019, 01:40 PM
Swa Man
6th Gear

You're right!.........but all told, it was likely a fuel/air ratio issue. Read my reply above and you'll see that a good portion of my problem was self inflicted.
This forum has certainly made a better biker out of me more than once!
Thanks much for taking the time and effort to help a guy out!

Old 07-14-2019, 01:49 PM
Swa Man
6th Gear

YAAAAAAAAAAAAAAP! I was down the speed sensor road a couple of years ago on an Ultra!
Cruising along like a gull on a breeze, when all of a sudden the dash lights went nutso on me, I couldn't find neutral and the turn signals went off on a ride of their own!
Fortunately, I was within a few miles of my dealer (PLUG for ITHACA NY HD!!) and was soon back on the road, as the mechanic knew just where to start looking.
I was in awe that one of very few replacement parts that cost LESS than a Hundred Dollars, was so easily replaced and did so much!

Thanks to you and all who helped me figure out my problem, taught me a valuable lesson about maintenance, and got me back on the road, this beautiful, sunny Sunday here in Central New York!

Old 07-19-2019, 04:14 PM
bgdv1
Road Master
Received 223 Likes on 70 Posts

Just changed vss in my '11 SG for speedo stopped and bike stalling at stops.