Ignition/Tuner/ECM/Fuel Injection Need advice on ignition issues? Questions about a tuner? Have questions about a EFI calibration or Fuel Injection? Tips on Engine Diagnostics, how to get codes, and what they mean. Find your answers here.

narrow band 02 sensor (NB02) mod.

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-2007, 11:00 PM
glens
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: narrow band 02 sensor (NB02) mod.

That's like taking a 25 Watt booster amp for your 8-track in your car, and putting another 25 Watt booster amp after that.

That voltage divider circuit is for those without a SERT (thus the ability to set the CLB to something different). With a SERT, you not only don't need them, but can't use them. What'll happen if you go much below 14.1:1 is the O2 sensor will be out of its more linear range. In the center of its range, the AFR changes correspond quite well with the output voltages. If you start flirting with the edges of its range, a very small voltage difference will represent a very much wider AFR change.

Think of it like this: consider the O2 sensor to be a person just off the boat with a limited vocabulary. If you start using words that are too big, the conversation will really be meaningless. 14.1 (or so) is really the limit of the sensor's "vocabulary".

Oh, and you'll still have only 25 Watts available to drive the speakers no matter how many booster amps you put in series (but the distortion will add with each one, so it'll sound a lot crappier)! Hahaha!

Old 11-13-2007, 07:53 PM
edcampolo
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The voltage divider concept works. I have run them on several 07 / 08 touring bikes for several thousand miles in various conditionswith great results. The cost for the oem connectors and such isn't cheap and assembly for a low production # is expensive as well, so the Night Rider harness isn't really priced too high considering what's involved. The real world results is a drop from 14.5 a/f r at cruising rpm down to 13.8 a/f r on a bike with a stage 1, slip ons and a download.With the ones I developed ( splice in and plug and go, patent pending )I have seen approx a .7 to .8 drop in a/f r. I did use a different ohm / watt rating than the nightrider suggestion after testing several configurations. Fuel mileage is almost unchanged, heat islowerat the exhaust flange area. Best results are on a stock bikewith the stage 1 download. I have run tests units on a Superflow dyno and see a difference in the cruise throttle ranges, there isn't much differenceat WOT.
Of course if you have the $ a SERT and DYNO Tune are the best route by changing the entire map as required.A motorhead with some electrical experience can do the voltage divider them selves or just buy one and splice it / plug it in the harnesses.
The o2 eliminators work too but run a bit too rich on a map designed for start up and warm up, and tend to load up plugs and drop fuel mileage. A high flow a/c and full exhaust work better but the map isn't designed for other than warm up so WOT performance isn't as good.
If you do the voltage divider mod splice it in on the o2 sensor side about 1/2 way down the sensor harness, if you have to remove it the original loom can hide the point of splice, and never solder the o2 sensorside wires, it breaths / is a source for air, go figure.
Bottom line the voltage divider does work and anything that helps is better for the bike and your comfort / enjoyment, and it's way cheaper than a race tuner and dyno tune.

Old 11-13-2007, 10:07 PM
glens
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You're getting consistent, accurately measured, and accurately controlled(!) 13.8:1 with narrow-band sensors? What does it do to the open-loop areas when the AFV kicks in the extra fuel it found was needed to achieve the "programmed" AFR in the closed-loop areas?

Won't it be hard to obtain a patent for something that's both obvious to just about anyone who's skilled in the field, and especially when there's prior art (or is that you)? Maybe if you're patenting a specific implementation and not a general method...

What AFR have you measured on a completely stock bike with the O2 eliminators in place and at various engine-speed/throttle settings? Care to share?

Old 11-14-2007, 05:16 AM
edcampolo
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You're getting consistent, accurately measured, and accurately controlled(!) 13.8:1 with narrow-band sensors? What does it do to the open-loop areas when the AFV kicks in the extra fuel it found was needed to achieve the "programmed" AFR in the closed-loop areas?

*Yes, this is about as rich as it can get with out the ecmthinking it's running outside it's parameters given the modified reading coming from the o2 sensor. Also, when testing I modified a exhaust system and placed bungs approx4 inches away from the current sensors to place the wide band sensors off my analyzer to measure. Too often most tuners / testers do not insert the sniffer far enough in the pipe to get accurate readings and you can't get a sniffer pipe in a stock muffler.

Won't it be hard to obtain a patent for something that's both obvious to just about anyone who's skilled in the field, and especially when there's prior art (or is that you)? Maybe if you're patenting a specific implementation and not a general method...

*The nightrider stuff isn't me, I don't know for sure who did that, but the concept is accurate. My application for patent is specific andpending.

What AFR have you measured on a completely stock bike with the O2 eliminators in place and at various engine-speed/throttle settings? Care to share?

* On a stock or bike w/ download or a/c or slip on's the results were similar, the warmer the bike got the leaner it got but was still very rich, about 12.5 at idle and even richer on accell until the throttle position was held steady, it's obvious that the open loop map and closed loop maps have a logic based on ET and IAT that vary VE and timingwhich impacts a/f r. I have tried my best to find out what some of the unseen parameters are but haven't run into the right person.I have pulled a base map out of a stock bike with the Direct link software for Delphi's and the stock or stage 1 download maps are similar to the SERT stage 1 map ( Direct link uses differentTP cells but when you export to excel and compare them the % of change is very close, the VE values do go up from stock to stage 1 download and also up from stage 1 to the SERT map, but only a couple % on average).

Eventhough the desired a/f r is 14.6 in closed loop that is just it, desired.

Sounds like you are familiar with the Delphi, email me and we can chat.