Ignition/Tuner/ECM/Fuel Injection Need advice on ignition issues? Questions about a tuner? Have questions about a EFI calibration or Fuel Injection? Tips on Engine Diagnostics, how to get codes, and what they mean. Find your answers here.

Hack the SERT.

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-2007, 11:40 AM
Yellotang
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Hack the SERT.

I may not be popular by asking this question but, Why hasn't anyone been able to hack the software in the SERT to allow cross bike usuage???

Old 09-18-2007, 12:33 PM
doodlbugr
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Hack the SERT.

There's not to many 15 year old computer geeks riding harleys

Old 09-18-2007, 12:35 PM
Yellotang
Ultimate HDF Member

ORIGINAL: doodlbugr

I'm telling you, them kids can hack anything, I just don't know why this thing hasn't been hacked yet. Shouldn't be that hard.

Old 09-18-2007, 04:18 PM
cjuetten
Tourer

Funny thing is that while there aren't many 15 year olds riding Harleys......there are a lot of Software Programmers and Electrical Engineers riding them.While some of us might not be smarter than a 5th grader...there are some here that are and then some. Unless someonehas inside knowledge on the development of SERT, it is unlikely it will be hacked.

There's a big difference betweenhacking into softwarethat was designed to be flexible so it could be used by multiple third party users. And hacking into softwarethat was developed by one company towork with one device and one deviceonly.

Old 09-18-2007, 07:22 PM
donk_316
Road Master
Received 72 Likes on 49 Posts

ORIGINAL: cjuetten

Funny thing is that while there aren't many 15 year olds riding Harleys......there are a lot of Software Programmers and Electrical Engineers riding them.While some of us might not be smarter than a 5th grader...there are some here that are and then some. Unless someonehas inside knowledge on the development of SERT, it is unlikely it will be hacked.

There's a big difference betweenhacking into softwarethat was designed to be flexible so it could be used by multiple third party users. And hacking into softwarethat was developed by one company towork with one device and one deviceonly.
haha! tell that to the guys that hack GM / Ford / Dodge ecu's on a daily basis. Even the Caddy Northstar V8 ecu has been hacked... I know... My friend has one in his Fiero.
Kids in college hacking and writing code to get there 2.8L cavaliers to run a little better... or with twin turbos.
Im pretty sure if someone wants too... They will.

Old 09-18-2007, 09:30 PM
Yellotang
Ultimate HDF Member

ORIGINAL: cjuetten

Ok, now you are no longer talking english to me. [lol]

Must be why I am not a hacker.

Old 09-18-2007, 10:46 PM
cjuetten
Tourer

Big difference between interfacing withOBDII which is a standard that hasbeen around for over a decadeand hacking into SERT which used both Software and Hardware to protect it.

Had this post started out"Hack into the HDECM" then you would be comparing Apples to Apples.

Old 09-19-2007, 06:55 AM
glens
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The DMCA "criminalizes the act of circumventing an access control," even if you don't disseminate the gained knowledge.

Old 09-19-2007, 03:02 PM
Yellotang
Ultimate HDF Member

ORIGINAL: glens

The DMCA "criminalizes the act of circumventing an access control," even if you don't disseminate the gained knowledge.
Yea, I kinda look around the law when it comes to stuff like that.

Old 09-19-2007, 08:00 PM
dawg
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,964 Likes on 1,715 Posts

Who says that the SERT hasn't been hacked?

Quick Reply: Hack the SERT.