Ignition/Tuner/ECM/Fuel Injection Need advice on ignition issues? Questions about a tuner? Have questions about a EFI calibration or Fuel Injection? Tips on Engine Diagnostics, how to get codes, and what they mean. Find your answers here.

01 road king very rough idle

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-2007, 08:05 PM
boneyard
Stage II
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 01 road king very rough idle

I just bought a 2001 Road King Classic with 6000 miles on it. It has sat for most of the time in the last couple of years (in a climate controlled environment). The problem is that it idles rough and actually dies on me when I stop. It wants to die on me when I first start it, but it seems worse after I've ridden for a little bit. It is also backfiring onme as I'm reducing speed and downshifting. Figure this is probably connected, but I don't know. It has the sequential port fuel injection, and I don't know anything about it! All I have done so far is change the plugs (they're gapped), cleaned the air filter, and used some lucas fuel treatment. Nothing has changed although the fuel treatment seemed like it made a very slight difference, but that could of been a placebo effect! I would appreciate some ideas and help! ...maybe some of the typical problems or some things to check first. I don't mind taking it in, but I want to learn to do some of my own cycle maintenance, as I do with my other machines. Could it be that the idle is too low? Thanks a lot in advance, Bob

Old 10-03-2007, 11:21 AM
RKC2001
Cruiser
Default RE: 01 road king very rough idle

First let me tell you, I'm not an expert. With that said, I have a 2001 Road King Classic and have done most of my own work on it so I'll pass on some of what I've learned.
The fuel injected '01 Touring bikes, Road Kings included, have the Magnetti Morelli fuel injection system and I've heard they occasionally have idle speed problems. The hot idle should be around 1000 RPM (I think the manual says 950 - 1050). There's a pretty good post in the do-it-yourself thread that tells you how to set the idle, I'd attach it to this message if I knew how. I believe you should set both the cold and hot idles at the same time and you'll need to remove a couple fuses so the computer recognizes the new settings. You'll need a tach if you don't have one on the bike.
If you can't find the post, let me know and I'll see if I can figure out how to attach it to a message.

Old 10-03-2007, 11:25 AM
RKC2001
Cruiser

This is the post I referred to. Copy and paste, works every time.

You need to make sure the throttle cables are not hanging up, are lubed properly and the throttle is closing all the way, and the throttle return spring is OK. If all this checks out:

I'm assuming you have MM EFI. If so:

1. Remove your right saddlebag and side cover.
2. Remove air cleaner assembly
3. Start the bike and make sure it is at normal operating temp.

You Need A Tach For This Part:

4. Adjust the hot idle to 950/1050 rpm.
5. Unplug the temp sensor.

Your bike now thinks it's cold!

6. Set the cold idle to 1500rpm
7. Shut the bike off.
8. Remove the 5 and 15 amp fuses from the fuse block which is on the side you took the cover off of.
9. Plug the cold sensor connector back in.
10. Replace the air cleaner assembly.
11. Wait at least 30 minutes, then replace the 2 fuses
12.Replace the side cover.
13. Replace the saddlebag.

When you restart your bike, the ECM should remember the new idle settings you did .
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

A different way of doing the above mentioned that I found if you have no luck with setting it...

This describes a method to set cold and hot idle speed on Magneti-Morelli EFI systems.

First, when it comes to setting cold idle, the service manual leads you down a path of frustration. This is a very simple and effective way of adjusting it. If you start the engine stone cold and it idles below 1200 rpm (after it stabilizes) then turn the cold idle screw (in linkage, on the side that rotates with the throttle plates) in. If it's over 1300 rpm, then turn the screw out (therefore, set cold idle speed at 1200 rpm for TC-88's)It's that easy . Also, to guarantee that the idle will be recognized by the ECM, run the bike until it's fully warmed up, turn the hot idle (in the throttle body, forward of the front intake, near the bottom) up to 1200 rpm, shut off the ignition and pull the 5 amp fuse (in the fuse holder on the ECM brackett), run a lead from the cold (relay) side of the 5 amp socket to ground. Let it sit for 15 minutes or longer if practical, then put the fuse back in and warm it back up, turn it back down to 1000. Works like a charm.

The Magnetti Morelli was used on baggers from 96-01 never on Softails. The Delphi is used on the Softails and all '02 and later baggers.

Also check... HERE

Old 10-03-2007, 06:54 PM
boneyard
Stage II

Hey man, I really appreciate the input. I'll have to wait til I have a day off, but I'm going to check those things out. It sounds like it isn't too difficult. I'll let you know if it works!

Old 10-04-2007, 10:44 AM
RKC2001
Cruiser

You're welcome and it isn't difficult. Just takes a little patience.