Ignition/Tuner/ECM/Fuel Injection Need advice on ignition issues? Questions about a tuner? Have questions about a EFI calibration or Fuel Injection? Tips on Engine Diagnostics, how to get codes, and what they mean. Find your answers here.

Need technical advice on modifying wiring on a TMax

Search this Thread

Old 11-01-2007, 03:23 PM
MJStephens
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need technical advice on modifying wiring on a TMax

Basically, I have the Tmax that is for the Softail or Dyna model. Thing is...I have a Sportster. Here's my situation. I want the module I have because I can mount the entire thing under my seat. The one for the Sportster requires you to mount the AutoTune module exposed on the frame behind the rear cylinder. The ONLY reason I'm not able to mount mine is that the wire that hooks into the DataLink port from the AutoTune module isn't long enough.

Here's the question.

Will soldering in a length of wire to the middle of the existing wire for my DataLink screw up the communication? Im not disconnecting any hardwiring from the module or anything in the plug. Just splicing in a wire to make it long. The added resistance on a 12"-18" wire isn't much at all but I dont want to start hacking this thing apart until I have a good idea it will work. Zippers wasn't any help at all. All they kept saying was "They make a different one for the Sportster"

I want to hear ANY opinions on this. Even if you just want to call me an idiot....I'm totally fine with that.

Old 11-01-2007, 06:47 PM
banjo
Intermediate
Default RE: Need technical advice on modifying wiring on a TMax

Only problem I can see is you may void your warranty by doing it, obviously your soldering skills must be up to it! and I would shrink wrap all the joints really well afterwards.Lengthening the cable will not effect its electrical performance but a bad joint will!

Old 11-01-2007, 07:17 PM
MJStephens
Tourer

Well, luckily I was able to install it where I didnt need to solder in any wires. It's not as pretty as I'd like it to have been but at least I still have both the EFI and AT modules under my seat. The crappy thing is......I think I have a faulty ECM because now my fuel pump wont cycle on. [:@]

Old 11-01-2007, 08:04 PM
SGDude
Cruiser

I have an idea on the fuel pump thing. I had one that would not shut off, and Randy at Tmax had me pull the ECM fuse, wait 30 secs, put it back in, do the 30 on/30 off X 3 cycle and it fixed it (temporarily). If this does work, then you may well have a faulty ECM as this is what they found with mine when they tested it after I shipped it back.

Old 11-01-2007, 08:58 PM
MJStephens
Tourer

I actually found that I had to go in and write the setting to the "main relay LOC' Even though the default was set correctly, after I actually wrote the settings to the module and then cycled the power off for 20 seconds and then back on my fuel pump kicked right in. I didnt start it because its kinda late but I'll definitely be on it tomorrow.

Old 11-02-2007, 09:30 AM
stro1965
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 701 Likes on 349 Posts

One thing you might look into before cutting and soldering anything...I think the MoCo sells an extension for the data link port that could bring it closer to the T-Max. If not an extension, maybe a "Y" cable. I'm almost positive I've heard of this.

Old 11-02-2007, 12:08 PM
MJStephens
Tourer

ORIGINAL: stro1965

One thing you might look into before cutting and soldering anything...I think the MoCo sells an extension for the data link port that could bring it closer to the T-Max. If not an extension, maybe a "Y" cable. I'm almost positive I've heard of this.
Dude, I never thought of that. I'll have to check into that because a "Y" cable would be awesome. Thanks!!

Old 11-26-2007, 08:49 PM
Yardstick
Road Captain
Received 42 Likes on 29 Posts

Zippers sells the y cable.