Ignition/Tuner/ECM/Fuel Injection Need advice on ignition issues? Questions about a tuner? Have questions about a EFI calibration or Fuel Injection? Tips on Engine Diagnostics, how to get codes, and what they mean. Find your answers here.

08 dyna superglide with tach/dragbars added-oil pressure light on in N?

Old 12-01-2011, 05:07 PM
cee
Cruiser
Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts
Default 08 dyna superglide with tach/dragbars added-oil pressure light on in N?

Bought my bike used, and the po had drag bars and a tach added by the dealer on purchase. When it is in neutral the oil pressure light is on, when put in gear it goes out with the N indicator. Looked at the wiring diagrams and seems like this would be the case. Just wondering if this is normal or i should look at the wiring to see if someone screwed up? The po owner asked about it after they added the bars and they said don't worry about it as the check engine light will still work. I plan on pulling the oil pressure sensor wire some time to make sure i will get the indicator when in gear but haven't tried that yet. Seems to me it should only be on when i have a real oil pressure problem?

Old 12-01-2011, 05:33 PM
CosmoKramer
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by cee
they said don't worry about it as the check engine light will still work.
Wow....that is amazing. Maybe what is more amazing is the PO buying that crap!

Anyways, both of those switches go to ground when the bike is in neutral or when there isn't enough oil pressure and when the switch goes to ground it allows the circuit to be completed and the light will go on. That is why both switches only have a single wiring going to them.

I would pull the oil pressure switch wire off (located where the oil filter is) and either take a test wire or a single piece of wire and put it inside the end of the connector and touch it to a good known ground. With the ignition "on" this should light up the low oil pressure light. If it doesn't...then there is some funky wiring going on that the dealer screwed up.

Old 12-01-2011, 05:58 PM
cee
Cruiser
Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts

I didn't like the answer either. Good dealer, i know i'll be going there for my maintenance (LOL). Thanks for the tip, i'll check that as soon as i can. So i can test that pressure switch without starting the bike? just ignition "on"? because it is cold here now. Can i just test it by having the ignition "on" and the bike in gear without starting it?

Originally Posted by CosmoKramer
Wow....that is amazing. Maybe what is more amazing is the PO buying that crap!

Anyways, both of those switches go to ground when the bike is in neutral or when there isn't enough oil pressure and when the switch goes to ground it allows the circuit to be completed and the light will go on. That is why both switches only have a single wiring going to them.

I would pull the oil pressure switch wire off (located where the oil filter is) and either take a test wire or a single piece of wire and put it inside the end of the connector and touch it to a good known ground. With the ignition "on" this should light up the low oil pressure light. If it doesn't...then there is some funky wiring going on that the dealer screwed up.

Old 12-02-2011, 09:44 AM
Aborigen2
Cruiser
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by cee
I didn't like the answer either. Good dealer, i know i'll be going there for my maintenance (LOL). Thanks for the tip, i'll check that as soon as i can. So i can test that pressure switch without starting the bike? just ignition "on"? because it is cold here now. Can i just test it by having the ignition "on" and the bike in gear without starting it?
Yes, you can.
I think Cosmo correctly described how it is supposed to work:
- When Engine is not running the Oil Pressure indicator should be ON, regardless are you in gear or not
- When Transmission is in Neutral the N-indicator should be ON, regardless is the engine running or not.

By your description it is clear that the Low Oil Warning light and the Neutral Gear Indicator are both wired to the Neutral Gear Switch.
Most likely this is done by some expert right at the Indicator Bar (that thing that has the indicator lights on).
Most likely the wire from the Oil Pressure Switch is left unconnected to anything.

The verification is pretty easy:
1.) Turn ON Ignition
2.) Unplug the Oil Pressure Sensor terminal and make contact to chassis – your Oil Light should come ON, nothing else
3.) Unplug the Neutral gear switch terminals (the switch is in the transmission cover, under the Starter) and using a paper clip short both terminals – the N- indicator should come ON, nothing else

By your description I suspect that when you do step 2 nothing will turn ON and when you do step 3 then both Oil and N will light up.

Good luck!