Ignition/Tuner/ECM/Fuel Injection Need advice on ignition issues? Questions about a tuner? Have questions about a EFI calibration or Fuel Injection? Tips on Engine Diagnostics, how to get codes, and what they mean. Find your answers here.

Help I'm stumped

Search this Thread

Old 11-27-2011, 10:41 PM
Madcapmagician2
Stage III
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help I'm stumped

ok problem... every time I try to start my bike, (99 rk police model) everything is fine except when I pull the clutch in and press the starter button and then the ignition fuse blows immediately. I isolated the starter completely from the system and tried again fuse blew again. I checked the throttle/starter/ run switch for bare wires and loose connections.. NONE.. how ever this is what is wierd, if I dont pull the clutch in I can press the star button and the fuse does not blow. ok so I disconnected the neutral safety wires from the neutral safety switch turned on the system as normal... everything came to life as normal... DID NOT pull the clutch in .. pressed the starter button nothing happened, fuse did not blow, however even with the neutral safety wires disconnected from the switch when I pulled the clutch in and hit the starter button fuse blows immediately. I have checked all of the wireing harness that I can get to to look for bare wires and loose connections.. cannot find any. I am at my wits end... I havent been able to pull the starter out to get the wires out from under the starter to check for bare grounded wires... but I have no other ideas, I believe I have isolated the problem to the neutral safety circuit, but I am out of ideas where to look next. anyone have any ideas? I cannot afford to have the dealership fix this... so I have to fix it myself. any info would be appreciated, thanx

Old 11-28-2011, 10:42 AM
Aborigen2
Cruiser
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Shouldn't be that hard to fix.
On the Police Vehicle power to the Starter Relay is interrupted by the Clutch Switch located in the Left hand controls assembly.
The full current path to the Starter Relay is:
Battery- Main Fuse- Ignition Switch- Ignition Fuse- Run/Stop Switch- Start Button- Clutch Switch- Starter Relay (activation coil).

Most likely your short to chassis contact is on the path from the Clutch Switch to the Starter Relay.
1.) Check the wires comming from the Left Hand Controls for pinched/chafed wires (sometimes exactly the clutch switch wire gets pinched when you've replaced the Left Hand Controls assembly)
2.) Check the starter relay (in the Fuse Box) - look for shorts to the wire connected to the activation coil. Sometimes the short can be inside the relay itself - blown protection diode across the coil.
Good luck.
Abo

Old 11-28-2011, 11:11 PM
Madcapmagician2
Stage III

ok upto this point that is the only place I have not checked, being somewhat new to do it yourself repair on the Harley's I did not know there was an actual switch in the controls, I will check that immediately. Ty for your advice and lets pray that it is an easy fix =) so I dont have to go looking any further into the wiring harness lol =)

Old 11-29-2011, 02:01 PM
Madcapmagician2
Stage III

Mr. aborigen2 thank you for the information, it is wierd that in my service manual it did not mention anything about that switch to mentioned. Well I pulled the controls apart, and checked the wires, they were very much squished and flattened, and on on there was ever so small a hole in the covering exposing just a tiny hint of bare wire.. almost small enough that you would miss it with the naked eye. I separated the wires from the others made sure nothing was touching, powered up the system pushed in the clutch button, pushed the starter button and my bike tried to start, fuse did not blow, and so far everything looks ok. I am now deciding whether to splice in new sections of wire or just wrap the bejezzus out if it and return the bike to working order. I thank Jesus that you answered my call for help and I also thank you for having information that helped me and that you took the time to reply, THANKS. I will now be on the look out to pay it forward myself. thanx again, peace and God Bless =)