Harley Davidson Forums

Harley Davidson Forums (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/)
-   Ignition/Tuner/ECM/Fuel Injection (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/ignition-tuner-ecm-fuel-injection-55/)
-   -   Newbie throttle questions (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/ignition-tuner-ecm-fuel-injection/198132-newbie-throttle-questions.html)

jon0808 02-20-2008 06:30 PM

Newbie throttle questions

Just got my first bike and I have a couple questions about the throttle. Is the throttle suppose to spring back on its own when you let go or is that different with each bike?

If in fact it is suppose to spring back, what causes it to spring back on its own? If I buy a new grip will that take care of it or do I need to buy the entire unit?

Thanks for any help

ko4qc 02-20-2008 06:39 PM

RE: Newbie throttle questions

No,you need the "Throttle spring back hicky-ma-dodger" kit...and,yep,you guessed it...I have one for sale...$99.99...regularly $49.99 but,hey,I gotta make a living!!!.....

seriously...yes,all bikes throttles should return to idle under normal conds..loosen your throttle lock 'thumbwheel'...little 'star' shaped thing at the botton-inside of the right grip..if it isnt that,take it to someone who knows what they are doing....let us know...:>)

The Baron 02-20-2008 06:41 PM

The poor man's cruise control knob may be too tight like was mentioned or the cables may be too tight.

Turn the star knob counter clockwise until it stops and recheck. if it still doesn't snap back try adjusting the cables.

If you need help adjusting the cables let us know.

ko4qc 02-20-2008 06:41 PM

...forgot to note...yes,its supposed to "spring back"....what causes 'it' to "spring back"...is a SPRING...:>)

jon0808 02-20-2008 06:46 PM

Can you tell me what the actual name of the kit is? I adjusted the lever but that does not seem to help. How would I go about adjusting the cables? I really think it may be the spring. Where is the spring located?

Uncle Scrooge 02-20-2008 07:31 PM

Another thing that could be interfering with the throttle properly springing back is the nylon shoe that the throttle lock star knob presses into the body of the grip when it is tightened. If this shoe is partially dislodged, it will cause the grip to bind.

knownman 02-20-2008 07:49 PM

Is your bike new? If it isn't you may have a problem with lubrication in the cables or it might just be out of adjustment. Does the bike have cables that are too short? I/E are ther ape hangers with not enough cable slack when you turn the bars end to end. Also there could be a pinch under the tank if some one's been fussing around in there. Quite a few things could be wrong. Usually it's not the spring unless the cables were taken off like during a new grip install, and then the end of the cable that attaches to the carb or throttle body has come out of the holder. Just a few of the many possibilities.

Roadhog02 02-21-2008 12:30 AM

The best thing that you can do is lube your cables with WD40 if you are experiencing problems with the throttle sticking . You can pick up a special tool for just that purpose.

[IMG]local://upfiles/28876/3283203AE10B4639A439FB484F5E079A.jpg[/IMG]

ko4qc 02-21-2008 01:44 AM

Bad advise IMPO,,,,WD-40 will remove more lubricant than it provides....

jon0808 02-21-2008 07:11 AM

I did change the bars to drag bars, however they are not as wide so there is plenty of slack in the throttle cable. Could there be too much slack. How do I go about adjusting the cables? Where exactly is the spring located?

jaystone 02-21-2008 07:18 AM

Sounds to me a manual would be a good thing for you to get too. Follow the cable back to the carb or throttle body you will find the spring. They do make actual cable lube for that tool shown above. That is the first thing I would check.

jon0808 02-21-2008 07:30 AM

Thanks for the advice. The manual is on my list when I visit the local Harley shop this weekend.

joemacro65 02-21-2008 07:54 AM

The throttle cable tension can be adjusted also. Where the cables meet the handle bar there is an elbow covered by a rubber sleeve. Pull back the sleeve and adjust the nuts on the cable.

lecomte38 02-21-2008 09:43 AM

spring is on the throttle body. -but try loosening the return cable first, the springs usually don't break.

flhtc07ok 02-21-2008 10:03 AM

"I did change the bars to drag bars..." The lights and sirens just went on.

Did the throttle operate correctly BEFORE the change-out? Since you didn't play around at the carb/TBI by changing the cables, the probability is prettyhigh that the problem is there at the handle bars.

AFTER you buy your service manual so you have a better idea of how things should look and work,take the right-hand switch housing apart and you'll likely find the problem. BTW, according to all service manuals, for all models, there's a proceedure for taking the switch housing apart and removing it from the bike without possibly damaging the brake light switch - I just gotta believe you knew about that.

I'm with ko4qc, don't use WD-40, get either something like a light teflon lube or LPS-1. But again, the lube H-D recommends is listed in the manual.

jon0808 02-21-2008 12:01 PM

The throttle did not return before changing the bars. I just went to the Harley dealership and picked up some lube. I will takea look at he spring tonight. The harley dealership said you cannot replace just the spring. You have to buy the entire carburator as they are one in the same. Seems to me like you would be able to just buy the spring by itself.

jon0808 02-21-2008 04:06 PM

So I have oiled everything down. Played with the throttle adjustment cable. Adjusted the throttle tension screw. AND STILL NOTHING! The spring does seem kind of loose. I guess my last resort is buying an entire carburator. I can't believe you have to buy an entire carburator for a .10 cent spring.

knownman 02-21-2008 06:56 PM

I doubt you need a new carb. Which model is it? CV, mikuni, S&S? I would back off the cables all the way at the grip. Then see how freely the cables slide thru with just your hands. If they are tight you will need to try and flush them with cable lube or a teflon dry lube. Then see how they move. If that isn't the problem, see how easily the throttle grip itself rotates wiith the cables loose. Maybe you have some gunk under there or something isn't fitting properly. Next, try and turn the carb by hand. It should be pretty resistant to this. If it doesn't snap back well you will know what your problem is. Try a search on ebay for throttle return springs? Who knows what you'll find. Maybe the carb itself is so gummed up that a rebuild is necessary. Let us know what you find.

jaystone 02-23-2008 08:05 AM

Can't believe you would have to buy the whole carb either. I would post that question about the spring in the Fuel/Carb Related section and someone there should be able to answer that. I think your fix will be easy once you find the problem.