Ignition/Tuner/ECM/Fuel Injection Need advice on ignition issues? Questions about a tuner? Have questions about a EFI calibration or Fuel Injection? Tips on Engine Diagnostics, how to get codes, and what they mean. Find your answers here.

PCIII RADIO FREQUENCY (RF) INTERFERENCE

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-2008, 06:21 PM
Jsans
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default PCIII RADIO FREQUENCY (RF) INTERFERENCE

Ok, for those of you having issues with the PCIII on your 08, this is what's happening to me.

I installed the PCIII with a pre-loaded Fuel-Moto map and started the bike. Everything ran good for about 2 minutes, then I heard a big metal-sounding clunk, and it died. After attempting to restart it, it barely started, after a half-second it made the clunk sound then stalled and blew a cloud of smoke out the intake. It appears as thought the timing is severely off.

I contacted Fuel Moto and was told that a very small quantity of 08s using the new PCIII experience this issue and it is attributed to RF interference, as in Radio Frequency. I asked for a replacement but was told that mine could be taken from my bike and placed on a different 08 that WILL NOT experience the issue and that this was unexplainable as to why. Therefore it would make no sense to simply replace it with another. Although a refund was generously offered.

I was told that DYNOJET was aware of the issue and is working on a fix that could take 3-4 weeks and at that time, a replacement would be provided. Apparently, this is only affecting 3 out of every 100 08s without any understanding why it only effects certain bikes.

Is anyone experiencing this? Not sure what to do at this point because I'm concerned that the fix may take longer than 3-4 weeks.

Old 03-17-2008, 06:40 PM
cegusa
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: PCIII RADIO FREQUENCY (RF) INTERFERENCE

Jsans,Not sure if you saw the post from me a while back concerning issues I was having. At that time, Jamie did send a replacement unit to me however it failed to perform just like the first. I wound up sending that one back and moved on to a Fuelpak. So far so good with that. I only have the exhaust and A/C done at this point so a sert may be overkill in my application. I regularly check here to see how others are making out with the PC III. Interesting to hear what is going on but it looks like you may be in the same boat as some of us not getting it to work.

Good Luck...

https://www.hdforums.com/m_2708664/tm.htm

Old 03-17-2008, 06:58 PM
freedomfighter
Cruiser

Check out my post from yesterday, I too had the same problems. PC III won't work on my 08 FLHX and they can't explain why. But HD did upgrade me to a SERT for $87 more and they ate the labor charge for the install. My understanding it's not all of the 08's but apparently enough of them [:@].

Old 03-17-2008, 08:11 PM
VTwinJaxFL
Road Captain
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

There is no "installation" of a Race Tuner. You plug it in, download the new map and unplug. They should have given you therace tuner, CD and cables.

Old 03-17-2008, 10:19 PM
Jsans
Tourer

I read your posts and it appears that since you have experienced your issues, the diagnosis that this is related to RF has been determined, although a solution has not been determined. The sad part is I called DYNOJET tech support and they denied that they were aware of any issue, contrary to FuelMoto's explanation. I do trust FuelMoto over DynoJet, I realize that they are caught in the middle as the reseller.

OK, so if this is indeed related to RF interference it would explain the erratic operation, possibly getting sporatic bombardation of RF airwaves based on geo location. Let me go back to my old radio engineering classes for a solution.

What will shield RF waves? The tuner in your old television (analog) is encased in a metal box, yes a metal box to prevent RF signals from entering or exiting the tuner, per FCC (Federal Communications Commision) regulations.

IS THE PCIII FCC APPROVED?
I did not see any labels stipulating that this box is FCC approved, possiblly because it does not emit radio waves, but according to FuelMoto, it apparantly is receiving them,

therefore............

Is the solution here a 2 dollar and 99 cent, Radio Shack, metal hobby box encasement with a ground wire attachment?

Old 03-18-2008, 10:22 AM
KBFXDLI
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 31 Likes on 28 Posts

Try this: http://www.ramayes.com/EMI_RF_Foil_Shielding.htm

Old 03-18-2008, 06:11 PM
Jsans
Tourer

Good information in that link.

Old 03-19-2008, 08:41 AM
KBFXDLI
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 31 Likes on 28 Posts

I would contact them and see if they have any small scraps for you to try out. If you talk to the marketing guys they may send you some for free to see if it works on shielding a HD ecm system. All these manufacturers would love to have an existing product that they can sell to Harley Davidson. Then wrap your PCIII in it and see what happens. Make sure you overlap the seams and use the Rf tape as well.