Ignition/Tuner/ECM/Fuel Injection Need advice on ignition issues? Questions about a tuner? Have questions about a EFI calibration or Fuel Injection? Tips on Engine Diagnostics, how to get codes, and what they mean. Find your answers here.

2000 Road King Fuel Injection question

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2008, 09:45 PM
Switchblade_327
Stage IV
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2000 Road King Fuel Injection question

Hello, I'm new to this forum, this is my first post. I know I probably should have done a search for this topic as it has likely been discussed before. But I wanted to go ahead with my first post anyway, please forgive me.

Here's the problem. I have a 2000 Road King Classic that I bought new. It started like nothing else I've seen for the first few years. The thing would barely crank one whole reveloution before firing. And it ran great, never a problem.

But that ended last year. The bike only has 10,000 miles on it (I never have time to ride). Now it cranks and cranks and cranks before it finally starts. And then it doesn't seem to run right, occasionally backfiring at slow speeds. I've changed the plugs, and ran the self diagnostic check. The check blinked out a code saying the Crank position sensor was bad. I replaced it, nothing changed, it still has the problem.

I've been told that this early fuel injection system had problems, but nobody has said exactly what they are or how to correct them.

Any help that anyone out there could provide would be very much appreciated. Thanks! cls

Old 04-21-2008, 10:57 PM
KBFXDLI
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 31 Likes on 28 Posts
Default RE: 2000 Road King Fuel Injection question

Welcome to the forum. Get to the new member section and introduce yourself.

You have the Magnetti Marelli FI system on your bike. Did you check the wiring & connector to the CKPS? All of the sensor wire colors need to match the same color wires in the in the receptacle that goes to the ECM. BTW, did you disconnect the neg battery cable before you did any work on the sensor?

If that is not it check:

1. ECM connections (dirty?), Battery cable connections, coil connections ( bad coil?)
2. Spark plug wires ( they are 8 years old)
3. Weak battery (get it load tested)
4. Bad fuel (did you use stabilizer in the winter)
5. Intake air leak (manifold or air cleaner, you can check with an unlit propane torch)
6. fuel tank vent hose/vapor valve plugged
7. Bad MAP sensor ( doubt it)
8. pinched wire insulation causing short in MAP or CKP sensor or ECM.

Hope this helps. No doubt it is something very simple. Go back and check your work then start running down the list. Best of luck. KB

Old 04-22-2008, 04:48 PM
Switchblade_327
Stage IV

Wow, great reply. Thanks! I love this site already. I'll let you know what I find.

Thanks again,

cls

Old 04-23-2008, 07:22 AM
geargrinder
Road Master
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

The throttle adjustment is very critical and if off slightly will cause starting and idle problems. My Magneti Marelli throttlebody'sthrottle stopadjustment had abad habit ofits adjustment driftingmore closed with miles. Periodically I had to turn the lower right had throttle stop adjusting screw 1/8 to 1/4 of a turnto get it back to specs whichalways solved my problem.Could be a wear issueor an oil coking issue caused by the crankcase vent system venting thru the throttle blades gradually restrictingair flow.

Old 04-23-2008, 07:30 AM
ajayrk
Road Master
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Remove the aircleaner and clean the throttle body with brake cleaner and be sure to clean the two air bleed holes at the top of the throats. They are the idle air bleed holes.

The following users liked this post:
jbarr1 (09-21-2023)
Old 04-23-2008, 07:07 PM
Switchblade_327
Stage IV

geargrinder, you may have found my problem. When you say, "Periodically I had to turn the lower right had throttle stop adjusting screw 1/8 to 1/4 of a turnto get it back to specs", you areof course talking about at the throttle body correct? I have a service manual. It seems there is a slow and a high speed idle (or hot and cold I assume).

The bike idles very slow and sometimes stalls. When it's cranking trying to start if I twist the throttle just a hair it fires right up. Thanks. cls

Old 04-23-2008, 09:17 PM
geargrinder
Road Master
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Yes, the lower right hand corner of the TB rectangular inlethas either a torx or an allen head idle stopadjusting screw. When you get it where you like it, take a voltage reading of the TPS signal with the engine running. This way you will always have a reference as to what the voltage is and if it is drifting, like my throttle body seems to some times. Don't be afraid to experiment with it as long as you always remember how far you turned itso you can go back to where you started if you get in trouble.

Old 01-20-2020, 05:42 AM
CIC2016
Intermediate
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default hijacked!

All,
I have a 2001 Road King with the Magneti Maretti injection system.

I recently removed all of the sheet metal to have them painted, including the tank. I got the paint back and put the bike back together over the weekend. I tried to start it, and nothing. I believe I either pinched a line inside of the tank, or swapped the fuel lines backwards so that the pump is trying to pull from the return, which of course, there's no fuel.

I went to the HD dealer over the weekend, and the shop manual is poor at best. Can someone definitively tell me which line is the high pressure (to the pump) and which is the return? I want to start with potentially something I did. The bike ran before I started this a couple of weeks ago.

Thanks for the help!

tjconnection (05-09-2020)
Old 03-11-2021, 05:40 AM
Bernie Boucher
Stage I

Originally Posted by CIC2016
All,
I have a 2001 Road King with the Magneti Maretti injection system.

I recently removed all of the sheet metal to have them painted, including the tank. I got the paint back and put the bike back together over the weekend. I tried to start it, and nothing. I believe I either pinched a line inside of the tank, or swapped the fuel lines backwards so that the pump is trying to pull from the return, which of course, there's no fuel.

I went to the HD dealer over the weekend, and the shop manual is poor at best. Can someone definitively tell me which line is the high pressure (to the pump) and which is the return? I want to start with potentially something I did. The bike ran before I started this a couple of weeks ago.

Thanks for the help!
from that side of bike line on left towards front of bike is the high pressure line and one on right towards rear of bike is return line

booyajj (10-22-2023)
Old 04-24-2021, 11:58 AM
Kevin Sartain
Stage III
Default 2000 Road King Police Injector Issues?

2000 Road King Police EFI - coil died, now fuel injectors?

Help! Let me know if this is the right place - I’m new to posting.

My 2000 Road King died on me while riding recently, just cut out. Seemed like ignition because it was dead but still had instrument, etc. started back up, I ignored it and rode to the middle of nowhere, where after a meal and drink it just cranked, not even trying and no start. Checked fuses, all good but no running. After a horrible 6 hour wait to get picked up (thanks AMA towing service I’ll be cancelling) I got it home and found the trouble codes. 25 and then 32. Real Coil and Rear Injector. As the service manual says do the first one and then check. After waiting 3 weeks and not even a guess as to when the Harley 31639-99 coil would come in I went ahead and bought an after market direct replacement. Twin Power OCT-10. Cranked it and nothing. Now the trouble codes say 23 and 32. Front and rear injector. Following the service manual (best I can without special tools) I check the fuel pump relay. Goes to battery volt for about a second (or less) and I hear the pump cycle, maybe a little gargling not sure. Checked at the rear injector connector and got the same voltage for just under a second. Fuel should be good. Was running great before this. I have not gone to the next ECM pin test. Thinking I better give up and take it to the bank - for a loan to get the Harley Dealer to look at it. (LOL). But seriously - any words of advice or ideas before I give up? I am a decent mechanic and worked on bikes all my life but not much EFI and not much on the Harley.

Quick Reply: 2000 Road King Fuel Injection question