Harley Davidson Forums

Harley Davidson Forums (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/)
-   Ignition/Tuner/ECM/Fuel Injection (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/ignition-tuner-ecm-fuel-injection-55/)
-   -   Successfully hacked my Harley from my Mac (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/ignition-tuner-ecm-fuel-injection/226359-successfully-hacked-my-harley-from-my-mac.html)

ericsenf 04-27-2008 07:45 PM

Successfully hacked my Harley from my Mac

For those who may be interested, I have successfully interfaced with my ECM from my Apple 15" MacBook Pro. This was done using Parallels, virtualizing Windows XP. I used the SERT with cables connected to an IO Gear USB serial PDA adapter. Everything is working well and I have successfully uploaded SERT maps twice in this configuration.

Let me know if you need any assistance with a similar config.

I just also tested this with data mode and all also works well.

KBFXDLI 04-27-2008 08:32 PM

RE: Successfully hacked my Harley from my Mac

Damn! Now that is amazing........kinda like putting a dog's head on a cat's body........:D

Doc 1 04-27-2008 10:03 PM

Now that was funny....I don't care who you are that there was funny

bezoar 04-28-2008 08:06 AM

WOW, finally a Mac User and a Harley Rider. BEST of both worlds!!!!
Let me know how you did this. I have a MacBook intel (and a desktop Mac and my wife has a MacBook too-wouldn't EVER use WINDOZE, but I digress!)
I have hesitated to use Prallels but if I must, I will. I really wanted to use the PCIII from Fuel Moto but the stuff doesn't work with Mac's :-(. I have been planning to go with V&H Fuel Pack instead. Let me know the specifics if you will and your take on using the PCIII and the possibilities of use with a Mac.
"Live to Ride and compute-Ride and compute to live"
<mailto:bezoar@alltel.net>

[IMG]local://upfiles/38807/17D321E419D84AF494FB0D06C58705A3.jpg[/IMG]

ToBeFrank 04-28-2008 12:33 PM

ORIGINAL: bezoar
I have a MacBook intel (and a desktop Mac and my wife has a MacBook too-wouldn't EVER use WINDOZE, but I digress!)
I have hesitated to use Prallels but if I must, I will.
Keep in mind that to use Parallels you have to have a Windows license. If you don't already have Windows you'll have to buy it as well as Parallels.

nycfxdl 04-28-2008 12:57 PM

There are a few software companies that make vitalizing for MAC'S. It has been around for a while. Another good choice is VMware. They sell software called VMware Fusion. It will run on Intel based MAC's and allow you to run XP on it.

Marksman 04-28-2008 01:11 PM

PC is going to be pissed.
https://www.hdforums.com/micons/m9.gif

Bertk 04-28-2008 03:42 PM

MS Virtual PC 7.0.3 would be one solution.

Bertk 04-28-2008 04:09 PM

Microsoft Virtual PC 2007 will allow you to run Windows XP, Windows 98 among other operating systems from withinVista. Below are two photo's, one running XP and the other running Windows 98 from within Vista on my notebook.

[IMG]local://upfiles/54654/A6E0F258A30E43B0AEAB6974FC7BC05B.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]local://upfiles/54654/EC94BACF902B4EC9AA6BFA5DB17319E7.jpg[/IMG]

ericsenf 04-28-2008 04:18 PM

Let me followup with a bit further information. Doing this from a Mac requires a few key things:

1. Parallels (or VMWare) virtualization software. I have used both though generally prefer Parallels... just my preference.
2. Copy of Windows 98 or higher.
3. A good usb to serial adapter. I personally like the IO Gear USB Serial/PDA adapter as they provide drivers for Mac OS X, Windows, and Linux.

You need to configure your Mac to allow USB mapping from the host (Mac OS X) to connect to the guest (Windows) thus allowing the serial adapter to pass through the Mac and be directly addressed by the PC. Due to this requirement Virtual PC will not work as you need Windows to be able to directly communicate with the serial port.

Let me know if there are any other question... I do know a bit about the Mac being a Systems Engineer @ Apple. ;)