Ignition/Tuner/ECM/Fuel Injection Need advice on ignition issues? Questions about a tuner? Have questions about a EFI calibration or Fuel Injection? Tips on Engine Diagnostics, how to get codes, and what they mean. Find your answers here.

Help - '83 FLHT Shovel

Old 05-15-2008, 08:29 PM
Gumby256
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help - '83 FLHT Shovel

Hi all. I've got a 83 FLHT Electriglide Classic Shovel head that is giving me some trouble. Even though it is 25 years old ithas less than 30k miles on itand is inexcellent shape. Everything on it is stock. The trouble I'm having is definately electrical, it's been back firing and dies on me occasionally and it is very hard to start. I've replace the coil, wires plugs and now I'm about 90% sure it needs a new ignition module. I've had the module off the bike and back on so I'm sure all the connections are good. The reason I'm so sure it is the module is when it dies on me and I pull a plug I have no spark, when I tap the module with a wrench I will get spark. While it is running I can get it to quit just by tapping the module with my knuckles.

Iwant to bolt on another ignition modulebut I'm having trouble finding one, I've had one on order from BikeBandit.com for a week and they say they usually ship most parts within 3 days. I'm going to call BikeBandit tomorrow but I suspectthey may not be able to get the partto me. I talked to the guy at my local shop and he said they don't make that module any more and I have to change it over to a 1993 module, change the wiring harness and hook up a vacum hose which I believe he said goes to the air cleaner.

So I have two questions, anyone know for sure if I can or can not get a replacement ignition module? And... If I need to change modules anyone done this before and can tell me what I need to do?

Thanks,
Alan

Old 05-15-2008, 10:29 PM
Doc 1
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 31 Likes on 20 Posts
Default RE: Help - '83 FLHT Shovel

Gumby
'Daytona Twin Tec' sells replacment ignition systems, 'Dyna Hi 4' ignition systems from Drag Specialitys...Custom Chrome...or Bikers Choice. It isn't stock but they work fine.

Old 05-17-2008, 07:59 PM
Gumby256
Cruiser

Thanks Doc, good to know! I talked to BikeBandit and they said Harley parts take a little longer than normal to ship, they ordered it and as soon as they get it they will ship it to me. I'll try to be patient!

Old 05-24-2008, 10:32 PM
Gumby256
Cruiser

Receivedthe ignition modulefrom BikeBandit.com yesterday and installed it today, works great. It was a kit from HD since they don't make the same old module, this included a new module, wiring harness and Cam timing cup (I think that may be what it's called). Since I replace the cam timing cupI want to set the timing. Based on the service manual I need to get HD-96295-65 listed as an "Accessory Plastic View Plug", anyone have a link to an online place I can order this from?

Old 05-25-2008, 01:16 AM
Doc 1
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 31 Likes on 20 Posts

ORIGINAL: Gumby256

Receivedthe ignition modulefrom BikeBandit.com yesterday and installed it today, works great. It was a kit from HD since they don't make the same old module, this included a new module, wiring harness and Cam timing cup (I think that may be what it's called). Since I replace the cam timing cupI want to set the timing. Based on the service manual I need to get HD-96295-65 listed as an "Accessory Plastic View Plug", anyone have a link to an online place I can order this from?
Kent Moore has the best one....get it from them, it comes in a little case and all.