Ignition/Tuner/ECM/Fuel Injection Need advice on ignition issues? Questions about a tuner? Have questions about a EFI calibration or Fuel Injection? Tips on Engine Diagnostics, how to get codes, and what they mean. Find your answers here.

dead battery - I smeel a rat

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-2008, 01:30 PM
shmedly
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default dead battery - I smeel a rat

I need to run this by anyone who can give me their two cents . . .
&nbsp\\;
I have a 2003 FLHTCI.&nbsp\\; I had a flat on the rear&nbsp\\;and when the mechanic (not a dealer and I won't say who did this until I find out they really did screw me) was taking it off the flat bed and the drive belt snapped.&nbsp\\; I knew the belt did have some rock damage so I was not totally surprised, but I felt a little pissed that they may have caused this expensive repair.&nbsp\\; Anyway, I couldn\\;t prove it was their fault so I gave them the benefit of the doubt and authorized the repair and that was that.
&nbsp\\;
The day after getting the bike back, now the battery is dead.&nbsp\\; It was fine yesterday.&nbsp\\; I called and the mechanic and he says it must be the rotor or the stator.&nbsp\\; I asked whether anything they did when changing the drive belt could have caused the new problem.&nbsp\\; He said no way.&nbsp\\; I smell a rat.
&nbsp\\;
This battery has been tip top since I have owned the bike.&nbsp\\; Never a problem until these guys took apart the bike to put on the drive belt.&nbsp\\; Now magically I have electrical problems.&nbsp\\; This seems to be a huge cooincidence, too huge.
&nbsp\\;
When replacing a drive belt I know they had to take apart the primary to some extent so the questions is:
&nbsp\\;
Could they have messed up the rotor or stator or some other part of the electrical system when replacing the drive belt?&nbsp\\; Is that something that anyone has seen happen?&nbsp\\; I am sick of paying for stuff they have broken and if this is their fault I want to find out and make them cover it.
&nbsp\\;
Any help would be appreciated.
&nbsp\\;
&nbsp\\;

Old 08-01-2008, 02:56 PM
White Knight 04
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: dead battery - I smeel a rat

I can't see how they could have screwed up the stator but who knows what they did when they were in there...There is raelly no reason to mess with the stator it's self...But they might have pulled the drum off to take the chain off ???

Old 08-01-2008, 09:23 PM
Uncle Scrooge
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Original battery? If so it's between 5 and 6 years old and well due to fail. May just be a big coincidence.

Old 08-04-2008, 08:13 PM
hounddog
Tourer

whit knights avatar makes commenting waaaay to hard!!! lol id say there isnt too many ways to F the stator with pullin the inner and outter primary covers but ive heard and seen some pretty crazy sh^t and it wouldnt surprise me, i say get a new batt and if the prob persists then take it back to them and ask WTF!!! thats all i got im back to white knights avatar

Old 08-04-2008, 08:28 PM
White Knight 04
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

&nbsp\\;Its nice to know somone really likes the twins...

Old 08-04-2008, 08:35 PM
liltrk
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Maybe they just left the key on and killed the battery. I would charge it fully, then run it a couple of days before making any accusations.&nbsp\\;

Old 08-07-2008, 02:46 PM
AustinRider
Cruiser

Originally Posted by liltrk
maybe they just left the key on and killed the battery. I would charge it fully, then run it a couple of days before making any accusations.&nbsp\\;
--- +1

Old 08-07-2008, 03:14 PM
Twisted Humor
Road Master

I think you got good life out of that battery. 5 years is about their life span if your lucky.

Old 08-30-2008, 05:37 PM
shmedly
Novice

OK, think it was my fault. It was a short caused by something I did. Glad I held off on going nuts on the shop as it seems likely it was not their doing.