Ignition/Tuner/ECM/Fuel Injection Need advice on ignition issues? Questions about a tuner? Have questions about a EFI calibration or Fuel Injection? Tips on Engine Diagnostics, how to get codes, and what they mean. Find your answers here.

Fuel Pressure Regulator diagnosis??

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-2008, 05:01 PM
ronyd
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Fuel Pressure Regulator diagnosis??

My 07' Deluxe is completely stock. When a lay on the gas in any gear, a get hestitation.. The sensation is like fuel starvation for 1 or 2 seconds before she kicks in. also notice at idle, reving the motor up at evenly, there;s a flat spot (i guess hesitation). also get slight popping on decel. Just cruising along and rolling the throttle does not seem to be a problem.

Reading my service manual about checking fuel pressure, says one of possibility of insufficient fuel pressure is hesitation and loss of power.

Could this be my problem? anyone know if any recalls on the regulator? Bike is still under warranty, but hate to take it to local HD. Rather work this myself, but if it's a fault part, might as well let them pay for it...

This is where diagnosing a problem becomes interesting...

any thoughts are appreciated...

Last edited by ronyd; 09-19-2008 at 05:24 PM.
Old 09-19-2008, 07:04 PM
rbabos
Banned
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Get the dealer to slap the gauge on it and find out what pressure you have. I think it's constant 55-60psi. I know how you feel about dealer and I'm considering purchasing the fuel adapter that's in the back of the service manual. Just add a gauge, and good to go. It's one of those can't do without tools if you are serious about working on efi. Without data, you're just guessing. I don't think fuel pressure is your problem with the symptoms you mentioned, and you can't prove me wrong, cause you don't have a gauge. See what I mean.
Ron

Old 09-20-2008, 06:53 AM
ronyd
Road Master

rtbabos, funny I was thinking about the same when reading about it in the service manual. I'm going down to the dealer later on today and check it out. also see when I can get in to have scoot checked out. Rather wait another month when things slow down for service dept. Otherwise they will probably tie my scoot up for 2-3 weeks... That will give me some time to get the gauges and check it out myself first... thankx

Old 09-20-2008, 05:41 PM
bigoscycles
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It could possibly be the fuel filter. I remember them having a recall on the filter but I think it may have been the 08's. Do you have a tuner on your bike? If so that could have something wrong.

Old 09-24-2008, 02:02 PM
ronyd
Road Master

Well, a second occurence in 2 months where bike runs like crap while riding, then eventually clears out and runs fine again. Bike fells like running out of gas, backfiring, loss of power, and noticed the engine light flashes. Still have the same original stated problem about hesitation in any gear.
Going to dealer in a couple of weeks...

Well, just checked the engine codes: I got 4 of them
P0131 - Front sensor (lean)
PO134 - Front sensor Open - no response
PO151 - Rear sensor (lean
P1353 - Front cylinder No combustion EFI

Wondering if I should reset codes and run bike again to see if same codes appear? Probably call HD and ask if I should so I can collect of much info
as possible before taking my scoot in to them...

Last edited by ronyd; 09-24-2008 at 06:04 PM.
Old 10-16-2008, 02:28 PM
ronyd
Road Master

Well, HD just called me and bike is fixed. Ended being the Fuel Pressure Regulator afterall. when I mentioned it could be a possibility when I dropped it off, they said don;t think so...

we'll see... thankx for the help guys. I guess we were all on track..

Old 10-18-2008, 08:41 PM
ronyd
Road Master

Well, NOT SO FAST. PITIFUL MOCO at their best again I picked the bike up yesterday. Go on the highway, and turned right around back to HD. Freakin' bike with same problem. Good thing that it's consistent and was running ****ty when I got back. They took it for a test ride, and agreed yep problem is there. Question was didn;t they test drive the scoot after they cliamed it to be fixed? anyways, talked to them today and they said they have a fuel pump ordered. Now, I ran into my buddy and saod he had the identical prblems with his VRod. His buddy has one also, so they swapped parts out until the problem was found - the Air Idle Sensor. So, I told HD about it so we'll see what they come up with next week... Bike is still under warranty so I just have to play the game, otherwise I'd be working on the scoot myself...

Old 10-26-2008, 11:03 AM
ronyd
Road Master

Well, got my scoot back Friday and all looks good so far. They replaced the regulator assembly. The plastic assembly had a crack and was letting air in. Going for a long ride today to make sure but scoot is definitely riding like it should...

They said the touring models have had a problem with cracking, not the Deluxe. First they saw this happen to a Deluxe...

Old 02-10-2019, 09:07 PM
alexb15ms
4th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Looks like l have the same issues. What “regulator assembly” are you talking about?

The following users liked this post:
hysteel15 (08-16-2022)
Old 02-12-2019, 07:12 AM
shanneba
Road Warrior
Received 439 Likes on 365 Posts

Originally Posted by ronyd
My 07' Deluxe is completely stock.
Could this be my problem?
anyone know if any recalls on the regulator?
Bike is still under warranty, but hate to take it to local HD. Rather work this myself, but if it's a fault part, might as well let them pay for it...

This is where diagnosing a problem becomes interesting...

any thoughts are appreciated...
You can check for recalls / service bulletins on your bike by entering the VIN number at the HD Service Information Portal:
https://serviceinfo.harley-davidson....cle/lookupForm

You will see a "Recalls / Campaigns" box at the top right under the search box.

Quick Reply: Fuel Pressure Regulator diagnosis??