Ignition/Tuner/ECM/Fuel Injection Need advice on ignition issues? Questions about a tuner? Have questions about a EFI calibration or Fuel Injection? Tips on Engine Diagnostics, how to get codes, and what they mean. Find your answers here.

TTS Mastertune Information

Search this Thread

Old 01-01-2010, 07:47 PM
hdmg
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Laptop Question

Having read all 113 pages of this thread over the last few days I am really impressed with the capabilities of this product and the support offered by up fellow members. The collective wisdom and experience out there is invaluable. The more I research the more confident I am at having a go at this myself.

I am going to have to purchase a laptop as well as the tuner. I was thinking of getting a used one and have noticed a few posts regarding USB port issues as well as Windows Vista configurations and functionality.

From what I have observed it seems better to find an older one with a serial port as opposed to using USB, unless one wants to cut pieces out of their credit card and buy a roll of duct tape to go with it. What about Windows XP vs Vista?

As far as memory and processor speed, is this program useable with a fairly mediocre machine? I'm led to believe that the data collection is more determined by the rate at which the ECM can provide it, and that most machines have plenty of processor and memory to deal with it. Has anyone tried these new 10 inch laptops? Without a CD drive though I don't know how you would load the program onto it. I was also wondering about using my desktop computer to work with the data, and just have a portable device to interface with the bike and record tuning runs. I am not sure what devices on the market would be suitable.

Some feedback on what machines, operating systems and experience with these would be greatly appreciated. Between the computer and the tuner you're into it for the best part of $1000 bucks before you even pull the bike out of the garage.

thanks in advance.

Old 01-01-2010, 08:19 PM
Lonewolf176
Road Warrior
Received 267 Likes on 166 Posts

Originally Posted by hdmg
Having read all 113 pages of this thread over the last few days I am really impressed with the capabilities of this product and the support offered by up fellow members. The collective wisdom and experience out there is invaluable. The more I research the more confident I am at having a go at this myself.

I am going to have to purchase a laptop as well as the tuner. I was thinking of getting a used one and have noticed a few posts regarding USB port issues as well as Windows Vista configurations and functionality.

From what I have observed it seems better to find an older one with a serial port as opposed to using USB, unless one wants to cut pieces out of their credit card and buy a roll of duct tape to go with it. What about Windows XP vs Vista?

As far as memory and processor speed, is this program useable with a fairly mediocre machine? I'm led to believe that the data collection is more determined by the rate at which the ECM can provide it, and that most machines have plenty of processor and memory to deal with it. Has anyone tried these new 10 inch laptops? Without a CD drive though I don't know how you would load the program onto it. I was also wondering about using my desktop computer to work with the data, and just have a portable device to interface with the bike and record tuning runs. I am not sure what devices on the market would be suitable.

Some feedback on what machines, operating systems and experience with these would be greatly appreciated. Between the computer and the tuner you're into it for the best part of $1000 bucks before you even pull the bike out of the garage.

thanks in advance.
TTS will work with Vista but remember to follow the step on page 81 in the directions to speed up the downloads. IIRC the new cables that come with it are usb and not serial port. As far as the little laptops I had to buy an external disk drive to load the cd. I just use a memory stick to move files between computers. Just make sure the file numbers line up or you will overwrite data files. Don't ask me how I know that.

Old 01-02-2010, 09:45 AM
user 9375875
Banned

Originally Posted by Beach Bagger
Don't want to hijack the thread, but I posted this in Touring section and got no response. Are the Mastertune and the new SEPST functionaly the same? I know they are made by different companies, but can each perform the same functions? Specifically, can you adjust the spedometer and idle with a SEPST? Thanks.
They are similar products, but MasterTune has more capabilities. The SEPST does not allow you to change the speedo calibration or adjust for different gearing - only the TTS Mastertune will do that. Also, the TTS will allow you to save and restore the original calibration at any time - and has capabilities to do your own tuning without a dyno using the VTune program.

TTS made the original SERT for HD - MasterTune is a much improved version of the old SERT product. You can download the Mastertune manuals from http://www.mastertune.net/files/calibrations.asp and get a good review of how Mastertune works.

--Gary

Old 01-02-2010, 10:05 AM
ColdCase
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have a 5 year old $200 bare bones compaq running XP and use the TTS optional USB cable. It has minimum RAM and a small HD, but TTS is not a RAM or memory hog so it just runs great. Its big so I stick it in a bag and tie it to a luggage rack. Remember to stop the data recording before turning the bike off. I have had zero problem.. You want decent battery life, I like this laptop because it runs for hours (maybe 3) before running out of charge.

I asked santa for one of those little $250 Acer Aspire One AOD250-1165 netbooks, but I guess I was a bad boy this year :-). That looks like a nice small cheap unit with decent reviews to use with TTS.

Old 01-02-2010, 10:18 AM
roadglider09
Novice

Hogflash,
To answer your question "yes" Master Tune can adjust your speedometer and idle.

Old 01-02-2010, 11:36 AM
Beach Bagger
Tourer
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by roadglider09
Hogflash,
To answer your question "yes" Master Tune can adjust your speedometer and idle.
But can that also be done with a SEPST?

Old 01-02-2010, 11:49 AM
ColdCase
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by Beach Bagger
But can that also be done with a SEPST?
I think Hogflash said no in his previous post "The SEPST does not allow you to change the speedo calibration or adjust for different gearing - only the TTS Mastertune will do that."

I'm pretty sure SEPST will adjust the idle somewhat. You should not run the twin cam less than 900 RPM, however, due to the oil system design..

Old 01-02-2010, 01:27 PM
Beach Bagger
Tourer
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by ColdCase
I think Hogflash said no in his previous post "The SEPST does not allow you to change the speedo calibration or adjust for different gearing - only the TTS Mastertune will do that."

I'm pretty sure SEPST will adjust the idle somewhat. You should not run the twin cam less than 900 RPM, however, due to the oil system design..
Great, that's what I was needing to know. NOw there is only one more thing that I need to know. Has anyone tried this with WIndows 7? I did a quick thread search, but didnt come up with anything.

Old 01-02-2010, 02:30 PM
ColdCase
Road Warrior

A few posters on harleytechtalk have been running TTS on windoze 7 without problems. I think TTS hasn't completed a full checkout, however.

http://harleytechtalk.org/htt/index....09578.html#new

Old 01-02-2010, 09:04 PM
eleft
Tourer

Wow, I don't believe I read the whole thing!

It sure has me thinking.

Al

Quick Reply: TTS Mastertune Information