Ignition/Tuner/ECM/Fuel Injection Need advice on ignition issues? Questions about a tuner? Have questions about a EFI calibration or Fuel Injection? Tips on Engine Diagnostics, how to get codes, and what they mean. Find your answers here.

TTS Mastertune Information

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-2018, 07:39 AM
Bluesrider.df
Grand HDF Member
Received 1,663 Likes on 936 Posts

Originally Posted by OZARKTOAD
hello mr wizard do you have a link for your tts tutorial? I can’t seem to locate it in the signature. Thanks
Here's a link for the guide: https://app.box.com/s/5ls2mtfhjc8ybcx15f2y

I spent all last month going through the TTS manual, help screens, the Dummies guide, and then tuning my bike. The latest software is newer than the Dummies guide. Some sections in the TTS manual are not up to date with the current software versions, so some screens don't match what's in print. I needed to pull info from all of the above sources, as well as a couple brief calls to TTS, in order to figure it all out. My bike is now tuned.

The MasterTune is a really powerful product, but the documentation is severely lacking. (If the documentation was better, there'd be no need for a "Dummies" guide, right?) The manual explains how to do things, but not why you should or shouldn't. The Dummies guide gives more explanation of what the different steps do, along with some guidance on whether or not you should do them.

Having said all this, I wouldn't be surprised if someone with more TTS experience could tune my bike even better than I did. It's a very complex system. I did an adequate job I think. Have fun.

Last edited by Bluesrider.df; 06-19-2018 at 07:40 AM.
Old 06-20-2018, 09:32 PM
OZARKTOAD
Cruiser
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Thanks!

Old 06-22-2018, 08:50 AM
archergodwin
Elite HDF Member
Received 148 Likes on 127 Posts

Originally Posted by DaleMc0622
Well, I dropped the bike back off at the dealer and the mechanic says he has been speaking with Steve at TTS. I am afraid my nightmare might continue though. The mechanic says to me this morning that since the last time the bike was there, they discovered the motor has a Woods 777 cam. He says he has never figured a cam in the tune because he wasn't aware but he doesn't think that could be causing the problems. Fingers crossed Steve can figure it out.
If he has it set up with a stock cam and it in fact has the 777, could that cause backfire through the intake occasionally on startup and also on low starts from stop? seems like low end torque is really crappy?
Consider that the stock cam has a opening and closing degree values of 02/34, and the 777 has opening closing degree values of 22/42 (exhaust is at least as different) I'd say highly likely. The ECM is using all that info to know when to fire, so if you're at the edge.. .then you would probably get what you are seeing.

Old 06-22-2018, 08:53 AM
archergodwin
Elite HDF Member
Received 148 Likes on 127 Posts

Originally Posted by Big trucker
Just got my tts on my new bike and I’ve been doing my v-tune runs after I set my cam calibration. Which table should I be looking at to see changes. Front and rear cylinder map? So I run it over and over until the 5% box up top drops down to 3-4%? Then I save it, set my calibrations back to original (rpm, retard knock etc) then download it onto the bike?
Mainly VE tables. You should take each file generated tho and run V-tune on it, and load that back into the bike. You won't make incremental improvements if you are always starting with the same loaded map.

Old 08-05-2018, 08:32 PM
rsking45
Road Warrior
Received 91 Likes on 74 Posts

I recently changed exhaust,Fuelmoto head pipe and crusher mufflers, and started to use my tts again. I downloaded a starting cal and have done 4 vtune runs even though my bike was running great on the starting cal.
Today I was out hitting the higher rpms .I got home used advanced on vtune3 and spark assist off and fuel process closed loop stock O2. I not able to access the the EGR tables, any Ideas why? For the hell of it I turned on spark assist and still no EGR tables

If I understand it correctly, I should not use spark assist until the VE tables are stable and not changing much, Correct?

Thanks All

Last edited by rsking45; 08-05-2018 at 08:53 PM.
Old 08-06-2018, 09:29 PM
OZARKTOAD
Cruiser

Hello all. Just wondering what kind of impact the main table that we set to.981 has on the final tune. Should it ALWAYS be set back to the tts default? Or can there/should there be variations? I had my 2012 103 with tts100 cams, stealth ac, vh power duals..dynoed by a local guy and it has been running great.

the only issue I’ve had is when I’m going 70 in 6th gear and need to get out of traffic, open it up there is some pinging.

So so my tuner suggested I run vtune on his dyno calibration. I obliged and got some good runs. Then plugged those into his tune, and used his main lambda. Which by the way is way different than TTS default.

It it runs great with all kinds of power. Still ting pings at those heavy load passing areas and the back cylinder is hot...

any suggestions?

Last edited by OZARKTOAD; 08-06-2018 at 09:31 PM.
Old 08-07-2018, 12:27 AM
OZARKTOAD
Cruiser

Hello all. Just wondering what kind of impact the main table that we set to.981 has on the final tune. Should it ALWAYS be set back to the tts default? Or can there/should there be variations? I had my 2012 103 with tts100 cams, stealth ac, vh power duals..dynoed by a local guy and it has been running great.

the only issue I’ve had is when I’m going 70 in 6th gear and need to get out of traffic, open it up there is some pinging.

So so my tuner suggested I run vtune on his dyno calibration. I obliged and got some good runs. Then plugged those into his tune, and used his main lambda. Which by the way is way different than TTS default.

It it runs great with all kinds of power. Still ting pings at those heavy load passing areas and the back cylinder is hot...

any suggestions?
Just for kicks here are the DYNO calibration and the FINAL that I did the tunes on it.

DYNO
https://www.dropbox.com/s/0s09gaf0sf...~-001.MT9?dl=0

VTUNED DYNO
https://www.dropbox.com/s/y8sl0yxr07...~-005.MT9?dl=0

Old 08-07-2018, 07:13 AM
Bluesrider.df
Grand HDF Member

any suggestions?
There isn't much activity in this thread, unfortunately. Have you called TTS? I spoke to them a couple times when I was getting started and they were really helpful. Just out of curiosity, what octane gas do you run?

Old 08-08-2018, 09:50 PM
OZARKTOAD
Cruiser

Use the highest octane non ethanol I can use. Sad to hear about the lack of activity... would like someone to look at my calibrations and see what they think. Thanks for replying.

Old 08-20-2018, 07:58 PM
Bluesrider.df
Grand HDF Member

I wanted to post a few experiences and with the MasterTune, which came on the Dyna Low Rider I bought 4 months ago. The bike came with a mild decal pop issue. It already had stage 1, but I changed the intake and decided to retune using Flight Recorder. I did about 10 hours of recording in every kind of riding I could do, but I wasn't able to eliminate it. After each tuning session, the software stated more tuning was required, but after 10 hours I didn't see the point in doing anymore, so I set the values back as needed and flashed it.

One thing that was in the back of my mind though, was the possibility of an exhaust leak. I knew this can cause popping, but I didn't know how to check it. Then I discovered the shop-vac technique - spray soapy water on the exhaust flanged, set the shop-vac to blow air into the exhaust pipes, and look for bubbles. There were lots of bubbles, yeah, I had leaks.

I installed new exhaust gaskets and I used Permatex Copper sealant, let it cure for 24 hours, and voila, nice & sealed. So I decided to retune. Big difference now! After only 4 rides, maybe 6-7 hours, the data was steady and consistent. The software was no longer saying "more tuning required." I did one more FR run for the sole purpose of doing some wide open throttle runs, mostly in gears 1-4. I flashed the final tune to the bike tonight and will see how it is in a day or so.

Exhaust leaks are obviously not good, and this example showed me they can really mess with the tuning, because the O2 sensors are never really getting a good read. SO...if anyone is having issues like I had, check those flanges.

Quick Reply: TTS Mastertune Information