Ignition/Tuner/ECM/Fuel Injection Need advice on ignition issues? Questions about a tuner? Have questions about a EFI calibration or Fuel Injection? Tips on Engine Diagnostics, how to get codes, and what they mean. Find your answers here.

TTS question for Glens

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2009, 04:25 PM
fxlowboy
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default TTS question for Glens

Hi Glens i'm in a process of buying a tuner and my choice stop on the TTS but i read something today on FuelMoto website about the TTS
**Please note the TTS Mastertune is a "hands on" tuning product designed to be used by experienced tuners with an understanding of the Harley/Delphi EFI system, ECM lookup tables including VE and AFR, and the the ability to analyze and apply data. **
But i read in the forum here something else... it's very easy to use etc...
I'm confuse
Thank you

Old 01-05-2009, 04:59 PM
Sleeps In Trees
Road Master

Fuelmoto is pushing the PC V right now...

VicW.

Old 01-05-2009, 05:24 PM
glens
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'd started this reply a while ago and got sidetracked. Just did a "preview" and saw the other reply, which sentiment is part of mine which follows:

I don't know if I'd have listed all those qualifications for use. But then again it could be true, maybe, I guess. It depends on what you want to do. The list of quals really looks to me like it would pertain more to the previous SERT than to the TTS. The vtune process doesn't really require you understand all that stuff, maybe just that you be able to access some of those parts of the software for a task or two.

I like Jamie and Fuelmoto but if that's really what they want to be saying about the TTS then I'm afraid I'd have to claim a little fearmongering with perhaps the goal of steering prospects over toward the PC-V booth instead. I looked through what they had to say about that a while back and don't recall any language so "alarming" about it. On top of that, what I've seen about the PC-V so far, if one wanted to use some of the advanced features, the qualifications in question would certainly pertain; at least equivalently.

It might be that those who're (I love that word) saying the TTS is so easy are folks who happen to meet those qualifications. I think I do, but I also think most anyone with a lick of sense and an adventurous bent would be able to use it just fine whether they met them or not already. Who knows? Maybe they'll meet 'em as a result?

Old 01-05-2009, 05:49 PM
bwickes
Cruiser
Default Pcv - tts

I have not used the PCV but have installed a couple of PCIII's and the TTS MasterTune.

Here is my opinion on the two units:

If you do not have a laptop or would rather Jamie program the unit for you and you just install it, I would recommend the PCV. It is a fine unit and will do the job. Probably the best solution for the money for a Stage 1 build.

If you are computer literate on a basic level, the TTS is a more advanced tool for tuning and is excellent for self tuning up to 80 MAP throttle. The tune can then be projected up to WOT. If you are planning future engine builds, the TTS is the better choice in my opinion.

B

Old 01-05-2009, 05:56 PM
fxlowboy
Tourer

Thank Glens & bwickesfor quick response,i will order a TTS anyway and find a basemap for my ride , i'm planning to do some mods on my bike a 103 big bore and cam
fxlowboy

Last edited by fxlowboy; 01-05-2009 at 06:00 PM.
Old 01-05-2009, 06:08 PM
rahall
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Old 01-05-2009, 07:18 PM
phantom rider
Tourer

I installed the TTS this past weekend after installing the heavy breather. Did a lot of research on what to do and gathered all the info I could find. Did the 2 Vtune runs and the bike ran like a scalded dog. Ended up sending my final map and the final Vtune info to Doc for some peace of mind. He made a few more changes and sent the map back. Loaded it up and the bike absolutely screams down the road now.

I have never tuned anything before (I did hook up the bullydog to my truck one time) and I am fairly computer dumb. This was really easy, however I would have been lost without some of the info on here.

Old 01-05-2009, 08:46 PM
fuelmoto
Platinum Sponsor
Received 4,104 Likes on 1,339 Posts

I think you may find a pretty tough crowd here when it comes to asking for EFI tuner advice, and there are several very good options available. I recommend doing your research on each product and asking yourself the complexity you feel comfortable working with and making your choice based on your experience or willingness to learn, as well as the level of support available on the product. Look at the manufacturers websites, call their tech support lines, and read the forum threas as there is a wealth of information available. We work with EFI tuning with customers on a 1 on 1 basis all day, every day and find the best way to help choose a EFI tuner is to ask our customers what they are looking for and helping them find the proper route.

Jamie Long / Fuel Moto USA
The USA's Leader V-Twin EFI & Performance www.fuelmotousa.com
Contact 920-423-3309
Email jamie@fuelmotousa.com

Old 01-05-2009, 10:12 PM
catalac
Cruiser
Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

I've been researching this for some time now, (winter here in Canada) and my conclusion is if you want the open loop / wide band O2 capabilty buy a PCV AT OR TMAX AT, if you want a good running bike at cruise ie vtuned for closed loop operation the TTS would be tough to beat. Bottom line for my 2 cents buy one from a source that has the time and expertice to help you if need be. Sounds like Doc and Jamie both stand up there. Buying a unit off eb*y, etc. probably on your own for support, lol.

Old 01-06-2009, 05:46 PM
ronyd
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Now that VTune is packaged with TTS, any reason to use Twin Scan II also?

And, how do you determine which calibration file to use as listed on TTS website? : http://www.mastertune.net/files/calibrations.asp

Quick Reply: TTS question for Glens