Ignition/Tuner/ECM/Fuel Injection Need advice on ignition issues? Questions about a tuner? Have questions about a EFI calibration or Fuel Injection? Tips on Engine Diagnostics, how to get codes, and what they mean. Find your answers here.

Single fire--Dual fire

Old 04-15-2005, 12:06 PM
mchaous
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Single fire--Dual fire

Hi,

This is a general question to those with experienced in ignitions for HD new and old.

I have a 1992 Electra Glide with the stock evo 1340. As I understand HD bikes from 1970.. to around 1997-8 are dual firing systems. After that HD went to single fire systems.

I have decided to change my dual fire to a single fire system using one of Dynatek's kits. My biggest concern here is, if I go to single fire and the down stroke side doesn't fire as dual like before, what bad points does this have?

I've been told the evo will run much smoother from 2800 RPM down if I switch to single. Does anybody have any experience with this?

The extra expense to make the move is another issue. Is it really worth it?

Thanks Mark

Old 04-15-2005, 12:54 PM
mchaous
Cruiser
Default RE: Single fire--Dual fire

I stand corrected to myself!!!

HD did not go to single fire systems unless the bike is fuel injected. It seems all there bikes are dual fire.

Learn something every day

Mark

Old 04-15-2005, 01:45 PM
TxMoores
Road Warrior

Well... on my '99 Night Train I decided to stick with dual fire as I don't think the single fire changes much of the smoothness. A couple of us had our previous bikes switched out by a retired HD old codger and when we picked them up he tricked us... He only changed one of the bikes, yet we all celebrated how much smoother they were in the low to mid range and later when he told us he only switched one of the two, we couldn't figure out which one it was until we went up head to head where one caputed at 5,200 RPM and the other kept going up....
Go for it, don't let my episode stand in your way as you will probably get so more performance out of the system.
I swear they were smoother, but now know it wasn't so... d@mn!!

Old 04-15-2005, 03:07 PM
nmfxstc
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Depends upon what else you have done to the EVO...on mine, we addeed SE heads, an EV27 and a Crane Hi-4 (the rest are not up to the standard of the Crane!)...my mileage went to 50 mpg, power increased, and it idles much more smoothly...your call.

Old 04-15-2005, 05:00 PM
grumpygit
Tourer

A bit more info on this from another board...

crane Hi 4 Ignition

...if its of any help.

Old 04-15-2005, 05:25 PM
12Stones
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: TxMoores

Well... on my '99 Night Train I decided to stick with dual fire as I don't think the single fire changes much of the smoothness. A couple of us had our previous bikes switched out by a retired HD old codger and when we picked them up he tricked us... He only changed one of the bikes, yet we all celebrated how much smoother they were in the low to mid range and later when he told us he only switched one of the two, we couldn't figure out which one it was until we went up head to head where one caputed at 5,200 RPM and the other kept going up....
Go for it, don't let my episode stand in your way as you will probably get so more performance out of the system.
I swear they were smoother, but now know it wasn't so... d@mn!!
God, I hate it when that happens.

Old 04-15-2005, 06:21 PM
TxMoores
Road Warrior

I wish I could have read that attached forum with the info from Bike Tech a few years ago and I wouldn't have made the expenditure, but I swear it had to be smoother!!! (I am still trying to justify it in my mind to myself!!)