Ignition/Tuner/ECM/Fuel Injection Need advice on ignition issues? Questions about a tuner? Have questions about a EFI calibration or Fuel Injection? Tips on Engine Diagnostics, how to get codes, and what they mean. Find your answers here.

Help: Late for work... Brake light question...

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-2010, 05:09 PM
Arizona
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Help: Late for work... Brake light question...

Hey guys,

I'm late for work here cuz was about to leave for swing shift and NO brake lights. Actually I think they're stuck ON and won't go off. The three lights are all lit but look brighter than usual. The turn signals work fine.

Info:

'09 RK, have the auxilliary brake lamps on the bike (where you have 3 tail and brake lights instead of the amber turn signals only).

The center light works fine but won't lite up if brake lever or pedal is applied.

The two side/auxilliary lights are lit as tail lamps but don't work as brake lamps.

As I said the three look like they may all actually be stuck on as brakes rather than tail lights but my eyes are tricking me in the afternoon light here.

I looked at the fuses under the left side panel. They all look fine - brake, lights and aux fuses are that I looked at.

The main tail light bulb appears to be fine when I pulled it out.

__________________________________________________ _____

Now I should mention... At first the center light (main lamp) didn't work at all as a brake or tail light. The two aux red lamps would light as tail lamps only but not as brake lamps or turn signals.

After I pulled the fuses and main tail light bulb then put it all back together again is what all three then seemed to work but are stuck on as brake lamps possibly.

Any ideas? I'm an hour late already lol

Thanks!

Old 07-07-2010, 05:17 PM
harleytuner
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 216 Likes on 129 Posts

Try unhooking your brake run module under your seat, go back to stock configuration and see if it helps, if it works then your module is bad, if not you possible have a bad brake light switch either in the hand controls or the rear switch. If you have done any hand control mods (i.e. chrome switch housing) it is very easy to brake the switch.

Old 07-07-2010, 05:20 PM
Arizona
Ultimate HDF Member

Thanks I'll try that... Will let you know

Old 07-07-2010, 05:32 PM
Arizona
Ultimate HDF Member

OK I tried the module - removed it and hooked it up as it came stock and same problem.

I haven't altered the hand controls at all, it's all stock.

If the brake light switch (either the lever or foot brake) was bad would not the other brake activate the lights? Or are the two brakes interconnected on the lamp switch (IE: if one is bad then neither works)?

Old 07-07-2010, 08:27 PM
asm481
Road Master
Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

IF the front brake switch is broke the light will be on all the time. Pushing the brake pedal can't make it go no more.