Ignition/Tuner/ECM/Fuel Injection Need advice on ignition issues? Questions about a tuner? Have questions about a EFI calibration or Fuel Injection? Tips on Engine Diagnostics, how to get codes, and what they mean. Find your answers here.

2008 Softail Custom with failed brake lights...Help!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-2009, 06:11 PM
ripperace
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2008 Softail Custom with failed brake lights...Help!!!!

Ok, so my buddy has a 2008 Softail Custom. We changed his rear tail light to the HD LED version, and added the turn-brake harness to make his rear blinkers function as running and brake lights. All good thus far, and everything worked up until today. He bought the Kuryakyn add on harness for the load equilizers, and changed his front running-turn signal bulbs to LED versions as well. He also changed his rear blinkers to LEDs too. All these parts came from Kuryakyn. Well, we tested them, and everything worked fine, except the load equilizers got really hot. More hot than I would be comfortable with. So he changed the harness around, then the turn signals worked VERY FAST. So I changed the Kuryakyn harness back to the way I had it, and the turn signals worked perfectly. But now he has no brake lights at all! We went as far as changing everything back to stock (bulbs, tailight assembly) and took the add on harnesses out and put the bike back to the way it was from the factory. Still no brake lights from either the pedal, or the lever. Help??????

Ripper

Old 05-09-2009, 06:22 PM
tombeving
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Check your fuses. I have a 03 duece with the LED taillight, turn signal harness to keep the lights on, and am running rear LED turn signal lights without the equilizer. I have no problems as long as I don't use LEDs in the front turn signals.

Old 05-09-2009, 07:19 PM
ripperace
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I forgot to add that after everything happened, we checked all the fuses with a meter, and they all checked out OK. The way you have your Deuce set up is the EXACT way his was until he decided he wanted LED front turn signals as well. We put everything back to stock, checked fuses again, and still nothing from his brakes. The tails light up, and the rear turn signals work, but absolutely nothing for brake lights. Is there another fuse or relay up under the tank that could be at fault? That's the only thing I can think of. It's gotta be something stupid, because everything we did was "plug-n-play"......

Ripper