Ignition/Tuner/ECM/Fuel Injection Need advice on ignition issues? Questions about a tuner? Have questions about a EFI calibration or Fuel Injection? Tips on Engine Diagnostics, how to get codes, and what they mean. Find your answers here.

Diag Code: P052 Battery Voltage Low EFI

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-2009, 10:51 AM
DarkManC
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Diag Code: P052 Battery Voltage Low EFI

Riding my '06 Street Glide yesterday and the battery light & check engine came on stayed for awhile then went back off. I turn around & head back home. I do the self diag and code P0562 battery voltage low EFI. Will I need to check the regulator & stator? Or just replace the battery and clear the code? Then ride it to to see if the stored code returns. Any help appreciated.

Old 06-29-2009, 12:22 PM
robzuc97
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I would check to see if the terminals are loose first.

Old 06-29-2009, 02:06 PM
DarkManC
Road Master

Just came back from getting battery tested at local HD dealer and local battery store. It tested A.O.K. So next step is to test the voltage regulator,got a price while I was at the HD dealer it was $198.00 + tax

Any other ideas anyone?

Last edited by DarkManC; 06-29-2009 at 02:20 PM.
Old 06-30-2009, 07:53 AM
Dixrid2
2nd Gear

I have an 06 UC that's doing the exact same thing. Battery is good, but charges, then doesn't, then starts charging again. I checked the regulator and the stator, and ALL the connections, and found nothing. Finally caved and took it to the dealer Sunday. They said it could be that the regulator or stator is getting ready to go out, but they will check it all out. Might have to wait a week for them to get to it though.

Old 07-01-2009, 07:40 AM
nycfxdl
Tourer

had my 08 flhx for 2 months and had the same issue and volt meter read lower than normal.

Checked battery and grounds - all good. my issue was with the wires from the stator connector to voltage reg. One on the wires where it goes into the connector had a tiny spot where the insulation was open - prop arching to frame. Shrink tube, and tape covered and the no more issues that was 8,000 miles ago.

Check all the wires carefully on both connectors into reg.

Old 07-10-2009, 08:12 PM
DarkManC
Road Master

Changed voltage regulator problem solved.

Last edited by DarkManC; 07-10-2009 at 08:14 PM.
Old 07-10-2009, 08:20 PM
DarkManC
Road Master

Changed voltage rehulator problem solved.

Old 07-11-2009, 11:00 PM
KSGG
Cruiser

My '06 King did the same thing tonight. Pulled up to an ATM, shut it off while I used the machine (turn ign and run to off, left key on). Fired her back up, both ck engine and battery lights came on and stayed on. Pulled into a parking lot, shut her off, waited a few seconds, then fired her back up. Check engine light stayed on for a few seconds and went out, no battery light ever came back on.

Got home checked the shop manual, according to the "WOW" test, I had a DTC stored, but nothing currently active. Ran through the speedo self diag tests, and got a P0562 code then "end". Went ahead and cleared the code since it wasn't showing as a "current" event.

I'll check the connections tomorrow at the battery and voltage regulator. I put her on the battery tender, but went solid green pretty fast. It was very hot here today temp wise, wondering if the idle was low due to temp, and the battery voltage didn't trigger the event? I usually don't use the battery tender during the summer. However, this is an '06 and pre-owned. Could be the original battery and getting close to the end. Is 4 yrs about it?

If the problem comes back, I'll take her in and try out my extended warranty ($50 deductable). If the battery's on the way out, that's not covered and they'll probably ding me for labor on troubleshooting it.

Old 07-19-2009, 12:52 PM
PhatHarley4Me
Tourer

Originally Posted by KSGG
My '06 King did the same thing tonight. Pulled up to an ATM, shut it off while I used the machine (turn ign and run to off, left key on). Fired her back up, both ck engine and battery lights came on and stayed on. Pulled into a parking lot, shut her off, waited a few seconds, then fired her back up. Check engine light stayed on for a few seconds and went out, no battery light ever came back on.

Got home checked the shop manual, according to the "WOW" test, I had a DTC stored, but nothing currently active. Ran through the speedo self diag tests, and got a P0562 code then "end". Went ahead and cleared the code since it wasn't showing as a "current" event.

I'll check the connections tomorrow at the battery and voltage regulator. I put her on the battery tender, but went solid green pretty fast. It was very hot here today temp wise, wondering if the idle was low due to temp, and the battery voltage didn't trigger the event? I usually don't use the battery tender during the summer. However, this is an '06 and pre-owned. Could be the original battery and getting close to the end. Is 4 yrs about it?

If the problem comes back, I'll take her in and try out my extended warranty ($50 deductable). If the battery's on the way out, that's not covered and they'll probably ding me for labor on troubleshooting it.

What was the verdict? I just ran into the same issue today. Chk eng light and battery light came off while crusing at low speeds. Voltage would drop to 10 - 11, when I increase speed, the voltage would go up to 13-14 and lights would go off. Did this back and forth for a while. When I finally got on the highway and ran her, the voltage stayed up and the lights did not come back on. My guess is the regulator is about to retire on me. The battery is less than 2 months old so I will check all connections when she cools down and hope its a loos wire.

Old 07-20-2009, 09:18 AM
KSGG
Cruiser

While I couldn't move the negative battery terminal connection, I was able to snug the bolt down about 3/4 turn. Connections at volt regulator were good.
Haven't had a repeat for over a week.

Quick Reply: Diag Code: P052 Battery Voltage Low EFI