Ignition/Tuner/ECM/Fuel Injection Need advice on ignition issues? Questions about a tuner? Have questions about a EFI calibration or Fuel Injection? Tips on Engine Diagnostics, how to get codes, and what they mean. Find your answers here.

03 Ultra Dies When Hot

Old 09-09-2009, 09:35 AM
Hx3
Road Master
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default 03 Ultra Dies When Hot

Spent the past weekend up in the Pigeon Forge/Deal's Gap area and had my 03 Ultra die a couple times while idling in traffic. It has just over 10,000 miles, I just completed the 10,000 mile service prior to the trip, but I had this happen once before also, so I don't think it's related to my doing the service. It runs perfect when going down the road but not when sitting in traffic. Bike sometimes just dies with no sign of electrics at all and the other times it will idle poorly. The only consistent thing is sitting in traffic. Battery is good, and it will start back up and run perfectly after a couple minute break. Would appreciate any tips.

Old 09-09-2009, 11:12 AM
Bamayankee
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It's my understanding that HD built the engine to where it will shut down one of the cylinders (the front I think) when the engine gets to a certain temperature so that it will not damage internal parts. This has happened to me several times, especially during parades and other slow goings. Just keep it rev'ed up to keep the engine running.

Old 09-09-2009, 06:23 PM
quigley
Tourer
Default Oil cooler and a fan kit.

Oil cooler and a fan kit will let you sit in traffic without overheating.
Quigley

Old 09-09-2009, 06:26 PM
robbie52
Road Warrior
Received 138 Likes on 100 Posts

Had the same problem with my '03 Ultra. Would run fine, cold idle was fine, but it would intermittently shut off at hot idle. Never did figure out the problem.Tried several ideas from forum members, but the '09 fixed my problem. Do a search on idle problems and one of the recommendations may work for you. Good luck.

Old 09-09-2009, 06:27 PM
robbie52
Road Warrior
Received 138 Likes on 100 Posts

It is not from overheating. Also, the '03 does not have a heat management system.

Old 09-09-2009, 07:22 PM
Hx3
Road Master

I did a search before posting and couldn't find anything similar to mine. I've sat down in traffic at bike week before without an issue, so it has to be something new. Not looking to cover up the problem, would like to fix it.

Old 09-12-2009, 04:17 PM
Norman
6th Gear

Have you checked the head temp sensor? I don't know if your bike is injected or not but if it is the head temp sensor if it goes bad can make it die same for the crank position sensor. My old bikes head temp sensor didn't quit but it would act normal until the temp went to about 250 f. then it would smoke black smoke and try to die. once it cooled off it would run fine.
On my bike the head temp sensor is located on the front head right in the center of it got to partly remove the fuel tank to get to it. Mine is an old 1995 ultra classic first year for fuel injection most shops can't work on them they don't have the scanning tool anymore. All the shops want to sell you a new bike if you take a old bike to a shop. So I've done some mods to mine so I can work on it myself. Still fuel injected but now with a 50 mm thunder-max fuel injection system with auto tune. I have a lap top and can do the troubleshooting with it.
I was really surprised at how much better my bike will now start and run with a injection system that meets the needs of the bike. I'm very happy with it I plan on keeping the bike till it turns to dust.
Norman

Old 09-12-2009, 07:48 PM
Hx3
Road Master

Norman, thanks very much for your response. Just so happens I went down today and ordered an engine temp sensor, thinking this may be the problem. It should be in Wednesday. Mine is fuel injected and the sensor is on the back of the front cylinder, right behind the horn. Like you, I intend to keep this bike until I can't ride anymore. I also like doing my own work. Thanks again for your input....I'll post my results after getting that changed out and the rain quits.

Old 09-26-2009, 04:11 PM
degregoriis
Stage III
Default to ultraandroadking

can you tell me if the problem is solved by replacing the temp sensor ?

I have set the idle speeds .

but since a couple of days and when at high temp, the idle speed slows down and the bike dies.

Very annoying at stopping lighst...

Old 09-27-2009, 09:53 PM
Hx3
Road Master

I replaced the temp sensor last weekend and took the bike for a ride just long enough to get the bike fully heated, no problems. I'll ride the bike for a couple days and report back, but it seems as if the problem is solved. Fairly cheap and easy to replace.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 03 Ultra Dies When Hot