Ignition/Tuner/ECM/Fuel Injection Need advice on ignition issues? Questions about a tuner? Have questions about a EFI calibration or Fuel Injection? Tips on Engine Diagnostics, how to get codes, and what they mean. Find your answers here.

Stage 1 ECM Flash... What exactly is in it?

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-2009, 01:29 PM
bcane98
Road Captain
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Stage 1 ECM Flash... What exactly is in it?

OK, so I have scowered the internet and this forum looking around at the Stage 1 ECM Flash info, but I can't really tell what settings it changes other than the rev limiter...

I have an 09 Ultra, I have a SE Stage 1 A/C kit on it's way... I was just reading about this Adaptive Learning technology which I have heard a couple motor-heads talk about... I have been told (since I am a laymen) that basically after 20 mins of riding the bike figures out the correct fuel/air mix and voila... Well at least that is what I understood when I put my SE pipes on...

My question here is "what exactly does the flash do to the ECM?" The only concrete info I can gather is it raises the rev limiter to 6200 rpm's...

I'm not trying to be a jerk or anything, but I am looking for what is the flash changes, not whether or not to get it

Thanks for you inputs and I hope I haven't missed any posts that has this answer...

PS... I plan on adding a PC-V as well, but I am still curious as to what the flash actually changes

Old 12-29-2009, 02:30 PM
Shovelhead Bob
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 21 Likes on 4 Posts

The flash for your particular model will not only raise the Rev Limit, but also modify the VE tables, to compensate for the High Flow AC unit...

The adaptive learning is limited to 20-30% of the base values of the VE Tables... ie, if the bike only needs 90% of the fuel required to create the correct stoich, then that is all it will need is 90% of the base value of that particular point of the VE map on that cylinder, at that RPM, under that specific MAP...

With the SEAC, alot more air is coming into the motor, and without the proper calibration, the o2's are going to be sending back to the ECM, a requirement for fuel to be in excess of 110%.... Anything above 110% AFV, and you are too close to the end of the switching ability of the sensors, as well as the AFV capability of the ECM to "Add Fuel"...

Old 12-29-2009, 02:47 PM
bcane98
Road Captain
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

A bit on the technical side, but I think I'm tracking... Thanks Bob