Ignition/Tuner/ECM/Fuel Injection Need advice on ignition issues? Questions about a tuner? Have questions about a EFI calibration or Fuel Injection? Tips on Engine Diagnostics, how to get codes, and what they mean. Find your answers here.

ECM download question

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2010, 08:28 AM
Paniolo
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by MarkM
Am I correct in thinking that it won't hurt to try a few different maps to find one that works well?
Do you know your build specs? Is it an 88, 95, 96, 98 103 or larger? Are the heads and stroke stock? What kind of intake and exhaust is on the bike? If you have all that, try contacting Power Commander first. They have a ton of maps for a lot of different builds. Hopefully they will be able to match your bike up to one of their maps.

Old 01-22-2010, 08:30 AM
ajayrk
Road Master
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

MarkM

Load the PC software onto your computer.

Hook up to the PC 2 and retrieve the map. Look at the map number and look in the notes section for some identification of which map is loaded.

Also consider using the newer version of the PC which would be the PC 3 usb. It allows greater of fuel. It has more range of adding and removing fuel. It can be linked to a250 I dyno and be automatically tuned as the exhaust gases are read.

Old 01-25-2010, 03:57 PM
Firetender
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by TickTock
Im interesting in understanding how the dyno machine cares about what was loaded into the ecm. I thought the dyno read exhaust gases and didn't interact with a specific ecm. My understanding is that software is required to interact with the ECM and that software is not loaded into the dyno machine.

If my understanding is true, then the power commander map will override what is set in the ECM with or without a download and that map is the final number sent to determine what fuel/air mixture gets to the engine. This means there is no need to modify the existing ECM calibration if the Powercommander is going to override whatever is there - save your money for the dyno tune because reflashing the ECM is pointless.... If it is not true I will stand corrected.
The new map runs adjustments using the existing map of the ECM. Failure to flash back to stock and using a modified map (HD Stages) is not recommended by local builders and tuners here in SoCal...And since the dealers perform this for everyone out here, before tuning is done there are obviously good reasons.

Old 01-25-2010, 04:15 PM
MarkM
Tourer

I emailed Dynojet, and I gave them the info on the box the PC came in. It says the PC was set up for an ECM that had a stage 1 download. Stan Lass replied saying that yes, there are different maps for ECM's which have already been downloaded by a dealer, versus ECM's which are still stock. He did not mention that it would be necessary for the ECM to be flashed back to the stock settings. He gave me a couple map numbers to try, but I haven't done anything with it yet. The bike is running pretty good, I was just wondering if I could get a little more out of it, since this map was installed when the bike had a different exhaust system on it.

Old 01-25-2010, 04:30 PM
MarkM
Tourer

Originally Posted by TickTock
If my understanding is true, then the power commander map will override what is set in the ECM with or without a download and that map is the final number sent to determine what fuel/air mixture gets to the engine. This means there is no need to modify the existing ECM calibration if the Powercommander is going to override whatever is there - save your money for the dyno tune because reflashing the ECM is pointless.... If it is not true I will stand corrected.
If you look at the notes for the maps for the PC, you will see that some are for stock ECM's, and some are for ECM's with different dealer downloads (Stage 1, Stage 2, etc), along with things like different cams than stock. I looked up the maps that Stan Lass sent to me, and both are noted for use with ECM's with Stage 1 downloads, as opposed to stock ECM's. So, I think the power commander interacts with the ECM in such a way as to not so much override what's in there, but to interact with the ECM settings to make the bike run best.

Old 01-26-2010, 05:23 AM
TickTock
Club Member

Originally Posted by MarkM
If you look at the notes for the maps for the PC, you will see that some are for stock ECM's, and some are for ECM's with different dealer downloads (Stage 1, Stage 2, etc), along with things like different cams than stock. I looked up the maps that Stan Lass sent to me, and both are noted for use with ECM's with Stage 1 downloads, as opposed to stock ECM's. So, I think the power commander interacts with the ECM in such a way as to not so much override what's in there, but to interact with the ECM settings to make the bike run best.

The power commander either adds or subtracts what the ECM has set based on the desired AFR numbers. If you look at the maps you will see either a positive or negative number. The ECM calibration (internal to ECM) has a similar grid with a percent of VE. The numbers in the power commander map make adjustments in the correlating sections. As I told you earlier, the map from power commander is a base to start tuning with. At the end of the day it will not matter what is in the ECM if you take the bike to a dyno tuner as they will read the afr and make adjustments to the cells in the power commander map. There is nothing special in the power commander map, it is just a spreadsheet of values to either add or subtract from what the ecm is set to get desired afr.

If you want more out of your bike take it to a dyno tuner who does power commander maps. It wont matter what is in it, they will make you a custom map for your bike. You do not need to reprogram the ECM because the power commander is going to override the settings anyway.

The maps that come with the power commander are "freebies" where somebody tuned a bike with a similar set up as yours. You will get some efficiency by using them and save a couple of bucks from having it tuned. However, every engine is different and the only way to maximize every cell is to have each cell custom tuned to your bike and your configuration. If you got a couple of leads (maps to use) from Dynojet then you may get closer to what you think the configuration is - but if you are looking for more umph then there is no replacement for a dyno tune.

Last edited by TickTock; 01-26-2010 at 07:04 AM.