Ignition/Tuner/ECM/Fuel Injection Need advice on ignition issues? Questions about a tuner? Have questions about a EFI calibration or Fuel Injection? Tips on Engine Diagnostics, how to get codes, and what they mean. Find your answers here.

How long should a battery tender be connected?

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-2010, 09:46 AM
patriotmc
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How long should a battery tender be connected?

I live in Minnesota and store my bike in an unheated garage. So I need to hook my battery to a tender. However, I've heard two ways to do this.

1. Connect the tender and leave it on.
2. Connect the tender for 3-4 hours/week, then disconnect.

I've read that some of you do the first and others do the second. My Service tech says to do the latter. He said I could cook my battery leaving it connected. I know that many of you subscribe to the theory that it should be connected any time you aren't riding the bike. My question is:

What are the mechanisms that would support one or the other as opposed to personal preferences. Is there any scientific basis for one or the other?

Thanks

Old 02-01-2010, 10:05 AM
big cahuna
Grand HDF Member
Received 227 Likes on 152 Posts

My '03 ultra has the original battery in it. The guy I bouht it from bought Harleys battery tender and hooked it up everytime it was in the garage. I do the same. It has sat for 2 months at a time and when I start it, it fires up fast . So 8 yrs is proof that the battery can last a long time when hooked up whenever its not being used.,,

Old 02-01-2010, 10:07 AM
cmcelrod
Cruiser
Default Tender

Huge difference between a battery tender and charger, the tenders shut off when the battery is charged, chargers just keep putting out amps, that is why you can leave a tender on forever and you must remove a charger. My tender stays on 24/7

Old 02-01-2010, 10:21 AM
NSCoyote
Club Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

i hooked my first tender up begining of last month, i bought a tender so i could plug it in and leave it be till it was time to ride again. a charger on the other hand needs to be removed after the battery is charged up

Old 02-01-2010, 10:29 AM
Gliden
Club Member
Received 34 Likes on 27 Posts

My tender from Sears (2 amp) stays connected 24/7.....
Mostly the green "Charged" lite is on 99% of the time....
Occasionally I see it throw a trickle charge (amber lite) to the battery.

Bike comes in handy for the radio while I'm on the treadmill and then the tender charges it back......LOL

Last edited by Gliden; 02-01-2010 at 12:24 PM.
Old 02-01-2010, 11:49 AM
smokin joe
Advanced

i have three bikes on battery tender jrs from dec 1 til the end of winter ?, two have original batterys 99 superglide & 07 nightster , roadking 01 has new battery. battery tender is like trickle charger little bit when needed other than that its on float mode

Old 02-01-2010, 11:53 AM
PistonPuller
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Leave the tender plugged in. It suppose to be automatic, so it will "unplug" it self when its shuts off then cycle back on

Old 02-01-2010, 01:24 PM
patriotmc
Road Captain

Thanks. Appreciate the feedback. I'll plug mine in and leave until it gets warm enough to ride regularly.

Old 02-01-2010, 02:37 PM
Retrax
Tourer

I live in cold azz MN too. I have always used battery tender Jr.'s. Any time my bikes aren't being ridden I leave them plugged in all year around. I have dual batteries in my '67 Camaro and my F-250 Superduty Diesel and leave them plugged in as well. Never had a problem with battery damage.

Old 02-02-2010, 05:07 PM
Firetender
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Any battery charger that has a float mode can be left plugged in 24/7. Mine (I have three) are from Walmart and made by Schumacher and cost about $15.00 and are the same as any Battery Tender or any charger that has a float mode. Because the battery will not slowly discharge, less of the lead in the core is consumed by recharging and thus the battery lasts longer as it retains more of its potential.

Quick Reply: How long should a battery tender be connected?