Ignition/Tuner/ECM/Fuel Injection Need advice on ignition issues? Questions about a tuner? Have questions about a EFI calibration or Fuel Injection? Tips on Engine Diagnostics, how to get codes, and what they mean. Find your answers here.

Problem with removal of ECM

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2010, 08:14 AM
SaltyHawg
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Problem with removal of ECM

While installing a PCIII on my 03 RKC I was removing the two screws that hold the ECM to the electrical bracket. I am not sure why this needs to be removed but that is the instructions from Dynojet. The top right screw came out with no problem. The bottom left screw just spins but doesn't come out. This leads me to believe that the "embedded nut" or whatever it is called is stripped from its housing and is spinning freely. I was able to complete the PCIII installation without removing the ECM OK but I don't know how to solve the problem described above. I tried to wedge a screwdriver behind the ECM and pry slightly while turning the screw but that didn't work. I didn't want to apply too much pressure because I was concerned about breaking the darned thing off and wasn't sure of the consequences of that but figured that it couldn't be too good. Anyone got any ideas on how to resolve this? I am OK for now but if I ever need to remove the ECM it's going to be a problem.

Old 03-23-2010, 10:06 AM
TickTock
Club Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I had a similar problem and secured the inner nut with JB weld. Worked fine after that and I could remove the bolt.

Old 03-23-2010, 04:20 PM
SaltyHawg
Cruiser

Originally Posted by TickTock
I had a similar problem and secured the inner nut with JB weld. Worked fine after that and I could remove the bolt.
Thanks TickTock. My problem is that I can't even get the screw out because the darned nut is spinning in its housing which is behind the ECM. If I could get the screw out, the JB weld would work to fix the problem.

Old 03-23-2010, 05:31 PM
TickTock
Club Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by SaltyHawg
Thanks TickTock. My problem is that I can't even get the screw out because the darned nut is spinning in its housing which is behind the ECM. If I could get the screw out, the JB weld would work to fix the problem.
Can you get behind it? if you can then you can smear some around the edges

Old 03-23-2010, 07:19 PM
ajayrk
Road Master
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Leave it alone, it won't fall off. You don't need to remove the ecm to slip zip ties behind it to secure the PC 3. There is enough room behind it to slip in the ties.

They got me on that one too!

Old 03-23-2010, 07:26 PM
Faast Ed
Banned
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Did you try prying upward on the ecm, while turning the screw? The upward pressure might hold the nut a lil better. Longshot, but sometimes longshots work.

Old 03-23-2010, 09:30 PM
ajayrk
Road Master
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

If you really want the ECM off; then remove the plastic tray that holds the ecm and take it to the work bench.

1) Drill through the rear of the 1/4" screw with a #7 tap drill then chase the threads with a tap.

2) Or drill through the side of the brass insert with a 1/8" drill then insert the chuck end of the drill to hold the insert while you remove the screw.

3) Or break up the tray to remove the ECM and buy a new tray from HD.

Old 03-23-2010, 11:08 PM
SaltyHawg
Cruiser

Thanks for the help. I am definitely leaving it for now. I did in fact get the zip tie in without having to remove the ECM. Hopefully, I'll never have to remove it. For this one, it IS broke....but DON'T fix it yet!