Ignition/Tuner/ECM/Fuel Injection Need advice on ignition issues? Questions about a tuner? Have questions about a EFI calibration or Fuel Injection? Tips on Engine Diagnostics, how to get codes, and what they mean. Find your answers here.

Brake light stays on

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-2015, 08:21 PM
D-wake
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 0734
Yep....the front brake switch is "held in" by a little ear on the lever. Sometimes, as they age this little ear will wear a bit and let the switch button release far enough to keep the light on. Even if things are all lined-up. When you ride behind one going down the road and his brake light is flickering....it's usually a worn lever. The HD folks like to just sell you another lever. All you have to do is put a screw in the little ear on the end of the lever and file it down until you get the light to operate properly. It use to be a real common problem in the mid-to-late 90's models. That little ear almost looks like a casting on the end of the lever they forgot to machine off, but it's there for a purpose.

Another case of a $20,000-plus bike with a designed component that looks like an accident. You can make sure which switch is causing the problem by just un-plugging one of the leads off your rear brake-light switch. That will kill the rear switch and cut your trouble shooting in half.
If you can push the lever the opposite direction and the brake light goes off it's what he said. I didn't put a screw I just put a few tack welds on it to build it up. Thanks for the idea tho.

Old 02-03-2017, 01:50 PM
sartech86
Novice
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default I had same issue

I resolved the issue with the front brake switch by shortening a tiny screw and installing it on the end of the plunger to get rid of the switch to plunger gap.

Hope this helps everyone with this BS problem harley had failed to fix over the years.

Old 04-22-2017, 01:14 AM
bmonger
Stage III
Default No brake lighta t all!!

I haver a 2009 Dyna Fat Bob that the brake light does not work at all. The running light works just fine, but no brake light. I have checked the bulb, and actually replaced it, but still no brake light. No light from the front lever, or the foot lever. Checked both switches, and nothing seems to be wrong. Checked fuses also. I put a test light on the mini harness to the bulb, and no signal is getting to it. Help please.

Old 04-22-2017, 01:21 AM
skid_pimp
Road Warrior
Received 416 Likes on 311 Posts

Originally Posted by bmonger
I haver a 2009 Dyna Fat Bob that the brake light does not work at all. The running light works just fine, but no brake light. I have checked the bulb, and actually replaced it, but still no brake light. No light from the front lever, or the foot lever. Checked both switches, and nothing seems to be wrong. Checked fuses also. I put a test light on the mini harness to the bulb, and no signal is getting to it. Help please.
This is one way to re-revive a super old thread. Have you checked the wiring under the fender, and or in the socket? If neither brake applies the light, and you've put a new bulb or verified it at least, that is where I would start looking... especially if your bike is lowered.

Old 04-22-2017, 01:27 AM
bmonger
Stage III

Well that doesn't explain why the rear brake light isn't working. I put new levers on about six months ago. I have no play in the front brake lever to pull it forward. I dont believe the brake light is on though. It doesnt come on at all.

Old 04-22-2017, 01:30 AM
bmonger
Stage III

Skid Pimp,
I'll look at that in the morning. The bike is not lowered, and we really don't get a lot of rain out here in Phoenix. Thanks

Old 04-22-2017, 01:33 AM
skid_pimp
Road Warrior
Received 416 Likes on 311 Posts

I'd suspect damaged wiring guessing off of your comments

Old 06-04-2017, 11:26 PM
martin14
Cruiser

Originally Posted by sartech86
I resolved the issue with the front brake switch by shortening a tiny screw and installing it on the end of the plunger to get rid of the switch to plunger gap.

Hope this helps everyone with this BS problem harley had failed to fix over the years.
3 years later

Thanks for the tip with the screw, sorted me out just nice.

Old 10-29-2018, 02:46 PM
jonjp1
2nd Gear
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Be careful with building up the switch or lever.
I have had discs warped where people have built it up too much and the brake is minutely applied.
Gets hot over a period of time, warps the disc and can cause the brake to fail.

Old 10-29-2019, 08:34 PM
UrbanMaster555
3rd Gear

This was my solution that fixed the problem: