Ignition/Tuner/ECM/Fuel Injection Need advice on ignition issues? Questions about a tuner? Have questions about a EFI calibration or Fuel Injection? Tips on Engine Diagnostics, how to get codes, and what they mean. Find your answers here.

Spedometer Odometer potential problem

Old 08-17-2006, 12:34 AM
ChargingRhino
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Spedometer Odometer potential problem

My '01 FXDXT is having a problem where the odometer takes a little time to come on when I first turn the key. After a few seconds it will finally show up and I start to ride. Just a little while down the road the digital Odometer display goes blank and the Spedometer sticks. A secon later the Spedometer will drop to zero and everything comes back on at once. Does this sound to anyone like a simple connection or short issue, or should I look at replacing the whole thing?
Also, how does replacing the Odometer handle the reading? I don't want my bike to be labeled as unknown mileage if I ever try to sell it.

Old 08-17-2006, 03:03 AM
AZFLTRI
1st Gear
Default RE: Spedometer Odometer potential problem

I am going through some problems with my speedo circuit on my road glide. One thing to check is the speed sensor in the tranny. Usually one allen head screw, then it pops straight out. There could be shavings on the bottom of the magnet that you can clean off and try again. Otherwise, it's time to get out a multimeter and start looking for shorts or open wires. An electronic diagnostic manual is handy.

From what I have read, you can have HD calibrate a new speedo with your current mileage. I'm looking at replacing my speedo as I am losing continuity on the ground through it. Do some searches in these forums for some more solutions. Hope you find an easy answer, I have not had very much fun trying to figure mine out.

Old 08-17-2006, 09:47 PM
ChargingRhino
Intermediate
Default RE: Spedometer Odometer potential problem

Thanks, I checked all the wiring last night, everything seemed fine, today I had no issues, I have a scheduled maintenance coming up, all just wait it out until then.

Old 06-20-2014, 09:54 AM
mrburnside
6th Gear

I have a sensor on my Ultima 6-speed tranny that has 3 wires (red, black and white). I am using an electric speedo that has 5 wires (2 black, orange, red and green). I cant make the speedo read speed, all I get is power to the speedo (lights and a full sweep of the needle when I power it up). Any help with this? Am I missing something? Thanks!