Ignition/Tuner/ECM/Fuel Injection Need advice on ignition issues? Questions about a tuner? Have questions about a EFI calibration or Fuel Injection? Tips on Engine Diagnostics, how to get codes, and what they mean. Find your answers here.

Pushed the Yellow Steed for the LAST time!

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-2010, 09:57 PM
TexasCowGrower
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Pushed the Yellow Steed for the LAST time!

I have a Starter Gremlin that is giving me thoughts of matches and gasoline! Today I left the house and rode the 5 miles to town where I stopped to get plates for my car. Then to the Post Office to check mail and when I came out she let me down! Turned the ignition "ON", flipped the "Kill" switch and hit the starter button. I heard a light "click" and when I released the button there was a louder "THUNK" eminating from the starter solenoid. I cleaned the battery terminals and got the same result. I called a buddy to jump it off to no avail. (Possibly crappy cables as this has happened before and heavy duty cables worked) Decided to push the bike and after several attempts accidently hit the starter button and IT STARTED!!!!! This is the third time this has happened since I put a new battery in last summer. It happened twice before that which necessitated the battery purchase. Bike has roughly 19,000 miles. Is this a "dead spot" on the starter solenoid, defective starter relay (doubtful because the solenoid seems to engage) or VOODOO???? Please help as it's not good for Harley's image for folks to see an oldfart pushing a bike around the neighborhood!!!

Old 09-20-2010, 10:44 PM
j1mmy
Elite HDF Member
Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

probaly a bad starter motor.. could take it apart and clean brushes and solinoid mount.. or bad conection at batt cable mounts at solinoid or ground.. cables could have a break inside too, i used riding mower cables from autozone on my flh,pretty cheap,work great..