Ignition/Tuner/ECM/Fuel Injection Need advice on ignition issues? Questions about a tuner? Have questions about a EFI calibration or Fuel Injection? Tips on Engine Diagnostics, how to get codes, and what they mean. Find your answers here.

Help with Thundermax tuner

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-2010, 07:07 AM
bigdan65
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help with Thundermax tuner

i have a 06 Heritage with SE 103 Stroker kit and Thundermax. I bought the bike used with all this installed. i have a warranty thru Harley Dealership. I went to Daytona and the bike ran great until last day. It started having a miss or stumble while cruising. It runs fine under acceleration. I took it back to Dealership and they called and said they could not fix it they did not know anything about the Thundermax. The warranty states they will fix anything for $25. So I am at a loss. I have done some research and I think it could be a o2 sensor. What are your thoughts? Thanks Dan

Old 10-24-2010, 06:09 PM
bigdan65
Intermediate

How about a Thundermax tuner in SC area?

Old 10-25-2010, 01:42 PM
nevil
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 969 Likes on 732 Posts

How do the plugs look?
Link the bike with the software and see if there are any diagnostic codes.
Before you take the bike to anyone call Zippers and talk to their tech people.
410-579-2828 ext. 120

Old 10-25-2010, 04:35 PM
bigdan65
Intermediate

i took the bike to dealership because it is under warranty and have not went back to get it yet, i bought it with all performance mods already done. The other prob. i do not have any of the things that came with the programmer. i have the previous owners ph # and i am gonna call him and Zippers when i get back home. thanks for help.

Old 10-25-2010, 06:28 PM
jaysonL
Elite HDF Member
Received 17 Likes on 9 Posts

It sounds like the o2 sensors are bad . At least one of them . They are fragile things . I replaced both of mine over the summer . The bike ran just like you described . After replacing them , the problem went away . And you DEFINITELY need the software and tuning manual for the T-max . Even if you have to buy them new from Zippers....do it ! They are invaluable . Here is a link to the correct sensors . Don't waste your money buying them from Zippers . They will charge you double what they should cost .
http://shop.advanceautoparts.com/web...730616-P_291_R

Old 10-25-2010, 06:42 PM
eleft
Tourer

Originally Posted by jaysonL
It sounds like the o2 sensors are bad . At least one of them . They are fragile things . I replaced both of mine over the summer . The bike ran just like you described . After replacing them , the problem went away . And you DEFINITELY need the software and tuning manual for the T-max . Even if you have to buy them new from Zippers....do it ! They are invaluable . Here is a link to the correct sensors . Don't waste your money buying them from Zippers . They will charge you double what they should cost .
http://shop.advanceautoparts.com/web...730616-P_291_R
The software can be downloaded on Zippers, the manual is included in the help drop down, you will need to buy a usb adapter also available from Zippers. Some other adapters don't work, pay more but buy once.

Down load and read the manual now
http://ssdl1.cachefly.net/ThunderMax...9.pdf#view=fit

Al

Old 10-25-2010, 06:46 PM
jaysonL
Elite HDF Member
Received 17 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by eleft
The software can be downloaded on Zippers, the manual is included in the help drop down, you will need to buy a usb adapter also available from Zippers. Some other adapters don't work, pay more but buy once.

Down load and read the manual now
http://ssdl1.cachefly.net/ThunderMax...9.pdf#view=fit

Al
Yeah...I forgot about the down load option from their site . But...regarding the USB to serial adapter . Zippers told me , and I quote ..."The cheaper the better . Buying an expensive adapter , usually is a waste of money" .

Old 10-25-2010, 06:57 PM
eleft
Tourer

Originally Posted by jaysonL
Yeah...I forgot about the down load option from their site . But...regarding the USB to serial adapter . Zippers told me , and I quote ..."The cheaper the better . Buying an expensive adapter , usually is a waste of money" .
I have seen posted complaints about the cheaper adapters would not connect, I don't know I have one from Zippers it worked the first time and every time I connect.

I destroyed my o2's with assembly fluid when I did the 103" BB conversion.

Al

Old 10-25-2010, 08:33 PM
bigdan65
Intermediate

thanks everyone, i have been out of town at Cont Ed classes. i go home tue and will pick my bike up wed from dealership and find out if i can submit charges to the warranty things like this is why i bought it. the o2 sensors are $104 should only cost me $25. i will get the manual and correct usb. I will change the 02 sensors myself. Bike ran great before I feel sure prev owner had it dyno tuned so the maps should be good. thanks again for all your help

Old 10-26-2010, 11:54 AM
ajayrk
Road Master
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Check the tightness of your battery cables. ThunderMax does not like poor ground connections.

Quick Reply: Help with Thundermax tuner