Ignition/Tuner/ECM/Fuel Injection Need advice on ignition issues? Questions about a tuner? Have questions about a EFI calibration or Fuel Injection? Tips on Engine Diagnostics, how to get codes, and what they mean. Find your answers here.

Need advice

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-2010, 10:47 AM
oldlawman
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need advice

I presently have a 2010 Heritage Classic FLSTC. Installed are V&H Staggered Short Shots Slip Ons, SE Intake and Xied's. Have noticed, to the good, a difference in performance with each addition. I have not had the download done as I have heard so many pros and cons for it, one of the cons being from the the master tech at my dealer (waste of money). At the same time, he also suggested a race turner, but way to much money for this old man. Speaking of that, I am 71 and not planning to break any speed records (very seldom ride over 65-70 mph). My wife, who was not interested in riding with me at first, has now become a "biker mom" as proven by my credit card with transactions for female biker apparel. Ok, enough rambling and to the point. Several people have suggested I get a V&H fuel pack to be used in conjunction with the Xieds, other have suggested no fuel pack, but a PCIII, also to be used in conjunction with the Xieds and vice versa, and of course as noted above, the dealer wants the high end race turner. First off, my bike is running pretty darn good, but now with the extra rider (guess who), think I may need a little more power, so based on my riding profile of hill country road relaxed riding, the extra weight (guess who), what is your suggestion or would I simply be wasting money at this point. The fuel pack seems to be the least expensive, but, as I understand it, does not have the versatility, but may be all I need. Your suggestions will be appreciated.

Old 12-08-2010, 01:29 PM
Mr. Wizard
Administrator
Received 2,035 Likes on 1,103 Posts

You have the most simple set up right now that is about as cost effective as any until you are willing to get to the 400 buck range.

The SEPro is not available anymore, only the SEStreet. The SEStreet will only let your dealer install street legal calibrations for you, yes, you must pay them to flash your ECM now and you are limited to your choices.

Just me, but I would stick with what I have until you are ready for the next step up. Fuelpak isn't something I would consider. PCIII doesn't use 02 sensors and yours will have to be unpluged and their 02 eliminator installed. Using a double layer over the ECM is not a very good option so there is no need to use your xIED's with those add on tuners.

Research the TTS and when you are ready go for it. Looks hard at first but it is really easy once you get hands on.

Old 12-08-2010, 01:55 PM
oldlawman
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thank you Mr. Wizard

Old 12-08-2010, 02:57 PM
mkguitar
Extreme HDF Member
Received 393 Likes on 335 Posts

09 FLHTC, air cleaner, slip ons and XIEDS. quite happy with the "bang for buck".

...never mind!

Mike

Last edited by mkguitar; 12-08-2010 at 03:36 PM.
Old 12-08-2010, 03:14 PM
Mr. Wizard
Administrator

Originally Posted by mkguitar
09 FLHTC, air cleaner, slip ons and XIEDS. quite happy with the "bang for buck".

You have a 10, which means you have cats in the header pipes- you may want to think about changing your header pipes and removing that restriction- should yield a bit more power and still be good with the xieds.

Mike
Mike... that's on Touring bikes only. Our friend has a softail so his cat would have been in the inlet of his muffler cans.

-wiz

Old 12-08-2010, 05:18 PM
harleytuner
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 216 Likes on 129 Posts

I have to agree with Mr. Wizard, save your cash. If you're just cruising with it and not performance riding you're bike should be fine with the wife on the bike. (Unless you're trying to throw her off). Will you gain anything with a more advanced tuner (PCIII or SEPST)? Yes, but with the way you describe your riding you probably wouldn't notice a big differnce. Save your money and let the wife buy a pair or chaps or something.

Old 12-08-2010, 09:23 PM
ColdCase
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The tuner will put some life into the bike, but as others said, you need to spend at least $450 or so to for a tool that is worthwhile. There is nothing wrong with just riding with smiles, however.... ride and shift at a higher rpm, that's the least cost way to get power.

But the recommendation for the DYIer, in general, is to look at the TTS tuning kit for your tool box, and if you still need a bit of torque or power, look at adding a cam, then retune yourself with the TTS.

Old 12-09-2010, 06:03 PM
jluvs2ride
Elite HDF Member
Location: Back in the Good Ole USA. South Carolina to be exact.
Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Mr. Wizard
The SEPro is not available anymore, only the SEStreet. The SEStreet will only let your dealer install street legal calibrations for you, yes, you must pay them to flash your ECM now and you are limited to your choices.
The SEPST is available in the 2011 Screaming Eagle Parts Catalog.

Old 12-09-2010, 06:25 PM
Mr. Wizard
Administrator

Originally Posted by jluvs2ride
The SEPST is available in the 2011 Screaming Eagle Parts Catalog.
I've heard that too but have heard more and more reporting that the dealer will not sell them or have them marked out in the catalog on the counter.

Old 12-10-2010, 05:45 AM
jluvs2ride
Elite HDF Member
Location: Back in the Good Ole USA. South Carolina to be exact.
Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Mr. Wizard
I've heard that too but have heard more and more reporting that the dealer will not sell them or have them marked out in the catalog on the counter.
I asked my dealer about this and he tried to sell me one. I explained that I already had the set up and explained the rumor. He said he heard nothing about it and showed me the SE Performance catalog.

He did explain the SEPST was considered for Race Applications only, and that SE was now offering the Street tuner for uploading Street Legal calibrations by the service dept. But he said the street tuner didn't supersede the pro tuner and anyone could still buy either one.

Quick Reply: Need advice