Ignition/Tuner/ECM/Fuel Injection Need advice on ignition issues? Questions about a tuner? Have questions about a EFI calibration or Fuel Injection? Tips on Engine Diagnostics, how to get codes, and what they mean. Find your answers here.

PC III compatability

Old 11-28-2010, 07:23 AM
uawman
Tourer
Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
Default PC III compatability

I've got a 07 FLHTCUSE2 and I've got a buddy with a 08 PC III for touring. The 07 tables have a map close to my bike but the 08 doesn't. Does the PC III accept all maps that can be downloaded regardless of year produced or is there something propriatary for the bike year has to match the model year of the PC III?
It seems to me that it's just hardware that would work with all TC's if the appropriate map is used.
Am I thinking about this wrong or what?

Old 12-11-2010, 07:50 AM
uawman
Tourer

Anybody?

Old 12-11-2010, 08:41 AM
TickTock
Club Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If I understand your question correctly - you are asking does the PC III care about year when downloading a map. The answer is no. You should be able to load up the map. Now, if there is a difference between the base map in the ECM between 07 and 08 your bike may not run the same as what the map was originally intended for. A PC map just adds or subtracts to the output from the ECM (which has its own map in it).

Old 12-11-2010, 08:58 AM
Mr. Wizard
Administrator
Received 2,035 Likes on 1,103 Posts

There could be several different ECM calibrations for the same model bike in the same year. The 08 is a bit more on the lean side than the 07 if I recall. The best way to tell is to copy the factory ECM calibration and open it up to view (you need a special program to open that file) or you can get the factory calibration # using something like the TTS device and ask a Pro tuner to help decipher.

You can use a TTS device to read another ECM but you can't flash to a second ECM. You can even make data runs with a TTS that is married to another bike and view the recording files, again, you just can't flash. I believe you can do the same thing with the SEPro although I've never tried it.

I think the bottom line would be to install your PCIII with a close map and have it put on a dyno or at least a TS/wego to smooth it out.

Old 12-11-2010, 09:41 AM
UltraNutZ
Extreme HDF Member
Received 137 Likes on 108 Posts

Originally Posted by uawman
I've got a 07 FLHTCUSE2 and I've got a buddy with a 08 PC III for touring. The 07 tables have a map close to my bike but the 08 doesn't. Does the PC III accept all maps that can be downloaded regardless of year produced or is there something propriatary for the bike year has to match the model year of the PC III?
It seems to me that it's just hardware that would work with all TC's if the appropriate map is used.
Am I thinking about this wrong or what?
In your case the PCIII will work with whatever map you put on it really. After that it's a matter of tuning the bike whether doing it yourself or bringing it to someone to do for you. The object is to get a map that is as close as possible to your build (keeping engine size in mind) regardless of the year and then tune from there. The closer you get the base map/calibration the less time and $$ you'll spend on tuning.

On a side note; the PCIII is only compatible for bikes up to and including the year 08. After that you must upgrade to the PCV model for compatability. And then you can inject the new ECM that HD put on 2011 Softails and CVOs and you have a whole nother problem. I know the TTS is not compatible with those new ECMs but the updated TTS should be ready to release in early 2011 but I haven't read anything on the PCV models.

Last edited by UltraNutZ; 12-11-2010 at 09:45 AM.
Old 12-11-2010, 09:50 AM
Faast Ed
Banned
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Mr. Wizard
There could be several different ECM calibrations for the same model bike in the same year. The 08 is a bit more on the lean side than the 07 if I recall. The best way to tell is to copy the factory ECM calibration and open it up to view (you need a special program to open that file) or you can get the factory calibration # using something like the TTS device and ask a Pro tuner to help decipher.

You can use a TTS device to read another ECM but you can't flash to a second ECM. You can even make data runs with a TTS that is married to another bike and view the recording files, again, you just can't flash. I believe you can do the same thing with the SEPro although I've never tried it.

I think the bottom line would be to install your PCIII with a close map and have it put on a dyno or at least a TS/wego to smooth it out.
What ever map you load, will work with the ecm calibrations that the new map is supposed to work with. If the PCIII is off of his bike, but the map you load is for your bike, it will work fine on your bike.

Mounting hardware is the only difference, the way I always understood it.

Old 12-11-2010, 12:01 PM
Mr. Wizard
Administrator
Received 2,035 Likes on 1,103 Posts

The 07 Touring ECM connector is different for an 08 and up touring.

Old 12-11-2010, 12:06 PM
UltraNutZ
Extreme HDF Member
Received 137 Likes on 108 Posts

i had just looked that up for a bud of mine who wanted to do the same thing as above. the PC site shows the PCIII compatible for 08 models but as you stated the connector is different so they must ship with different connectors and probably different logic...
The 07 part# is 812-511 and the 08 model is part# 818-511.. i didn't catch that earlier. :-)

Thanks Wiz....

Old 12-11-2010, 12:12 PM
Faast Ed
Banned
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Mr. Wizard
The 07 Touring ECM connector is different for an 08 and up touring.
Uh oh,...... !

Old 12-11-2010, 12:18 PM
uawman
Tourer

Thanks guy's for all the response and unfortunatrely Mr. Wizard's answer trumps all.
Please check my "for sale items" LOL

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: PC III compatability