Ignition/Tuner/ECM/Fuel Injection Need advice on ignition issues? Questions about a tuner? Have questions about a EFI calibration or Fuel Injection? Tips on Engine Diagnostics, how to get codes, and what they mean. Find your answers here.

Questions About DTC's; Current/Historic; Clearing

Old 02-02-2011, 01:33 PM
2black1s
Elite HDF Member
Received 167 Likes on 108 Posts
Default Questions About DTC's; Current/Historic; Clearing

Is there any way to positively identfy a DTC code as current vs. historic using the self-diagnostic feature?

I would assume that if the code were current you'd see the check engine light on or at least see it go through it's "flash" routine when you turn the ignition on. Is this correct? I'm not seeing either of those two conditions but I'm pulling 6 codes on my 2011 Limited, so are these all historic?

P0134 - Fr 02 sensor open/not responding
P0154 - Rr 02 sensor open/not responding
P0374 - CKP sensor switch error
P1511 - Throttle actuator limited power management mode
P2101 - Throttle actuator control motor range error
P0031 - 02 heater low/open

Three of these codes related to the 02 sensors are expected since I have a Power Commander 5 (PCV) on the bike with the stock 02 sensors removed. I'm not sure of other three though (crank sensor and throttle actuator codes). Hopefully they were simply momentary glitches that have corrected themselves. The bike runs perfectly.

A second question is this. Can historic codes be cleared using the self-diagnostics interface or do you need to run through the 50 cycle self clearing routine? I ask this because I haven't been able to clear the codes using the self-diagnostic interface. And along this same line, can historic codes be cleared with the HD scan tool? Or can you clear only "current" codes?

Any help from you electronic whizzes would be appreciated. Thanks.

Note: I posted this same thread yesterday in the Touring Forum and in over 24 hrs. I have not gotten a single reply. Maybe that forum was the wrong audience... Hopefully there might be a few more technical gurus here in the Technical Forums. I'm going back to delete the previous thread so as not to violate HDF rules regarding multiple posts. Thanks Again.

Old 02-02-2011, 08:03 PM
glide2meetu
Road Warrior
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Hey I was reading the thread on the when the forum started and I saw your thread about not getting any responses on the DTC codes... I have a 2009 and I see you have a 2011... I found this on another forum after mine threw some codes and it worked on mine. Hope it works on yours. Not taking any credit it for it just lucky with my searching in trying to find an answer to my question... Hope this helps with some of your questions.

"Odometer Self-Diagnostics DTCs (Diagnostic Trouble Codes).
Speedometer Self Diagnostics: The speedometer is capable of displaying and clearing speedometer, tachometer, TSM/TSSM /HFSM, ECM and ABS DTCs. The Radio DTCs are retrieved through the radio and displayed on the radio display. See Table 2.

Turn Ignition switch to OFF & Run/Stop switch is to Run.
Push odometer reset button in & hold.
Turn ignition switch to Ignition and release odometer reset button. Background lighting should illuminate, speedometer needle should sweep its full range and indicator lamps (battery, security, low fuel, check engine and cruise) should illuminate. The word “diag” should then appear.
Push the odometer reset button once and you will see the selection menu "PSSPtb" with the first P flashing.
Each letter represents an area of the diagnostics module. The module that is flashing is the one you are going to check. To move from one letter (module) to the next, you push the odometer reset button one time. (from P to S to SP to t to b and back to P, etc.)
P --> ECM (Electronic Control Module [EFI])
S --> TSM/TSSM/HFSM (Turn Signal/ Turn Signal Security Module/ Hands-free Security Module)
SP --> speedometer
t --> tachometer
b --> ABS codes

To get the DTC within an area of diagnostics, push and hold the odometer reset button in for 5 seconds and release. If there are any DTCs the code will be displayed or the word “none” will appear if there are no DTCs. Push the odometer reset button again to view additional codes if they exist.
Record the codes.
If DTCs are NOT to be cleared, Press and release the odometer reset button. Part number of module will be displayed.
NOTE: To determine if a code is current or historic, clear the displayed code by pushing in and holding the odometer reset button ( longer than 5 seconds) until 'clear' is displayed. Release the odometer reset button. Turn OFF the ignition switch. Perform a road test then shut your bike down. Recheck the DTC’s again by repeating steps 1 to 7. If the code is current it will reappear. Historic DTCs are stored for 50 ignition cycles before cleared. The security lamp will only indicate the existence of historic DTCs for two ignition cycles.

If DTCs are to be cleared for that module, press and hold the odometer reset button until 'clear' is displayed.
Press and release the odometer reset button to continue to the next module.
Turn Ignition switch to OFF to exit the diagnostic mode.
Always correct the serial data codes (DTC U1300, U1301, U1016, U1040, U1064, U1097, U1255) before resolving any other codes. DTC's are assigned priority numbers to determine the order in which they should be diagnosed. The lowest priority number DTC should be diagnosed first and then continue with the next lowest DTC."

Old 02-02-2011, 10:32 PM
2black1s
Elite HDF Member

Thanks glide,

I've already gone through that process and that is where my questions are coming from. When I tried to clear the codes nothing happened. I can hold the button indefinitely and it never clears. But reading the process again I see one thing that I'm going to try. When I tried to clear the codes earlier I tried to clear the entire "P" module at once. I think I'll go back and try to clear the codes one at a time rather than the entire module at once.

I'll let you know if that works.

Thanks Again.

EDIT: Ok. I've got the DTC's cleared. Even though my manual says that you can clear all the DTC's in module at once at the end of the module, that did not work for me. Hence the original thread. I went back and tried clearing them one at a time after reading the post from glide2meetu and got them cleared. But there was still something peculiar going on. When I cleared the first DTC shown, P0134, and then toggled the switch to get to the next code it said "none". I exited the self-diagnostic mode and then re-entered. It still says "none". I can't explain how clearing one DTC (P0134) cleared all 6 DTC's that were present. I guess that will remain a mystery. In any case they are all cleared now. I'll take the bike for a ride tomorrow and see which codes reappear. Like I said in my original post I'll expect to see P0134, P0154, and P0031 as they are related to the 02 sensors which have been removed, but hopefully the other three DTC's will not reappear.

Thanks glide!

Last edited by 2black1s; 02-02-2011 at 11:50 PM. Reason: To Post Results
Old 02-03-2011, 10:18 AM
glide2meetu
Road Warrior

I am surprised that more people havent chimed in with DTC experience.... not sure why it cleared all the codes. Good luck. I am going to purchase the electronics manual to learn more about the DTC's and such.

Old 02-03-2011, 01:55 PM
2black1s
Elite HDF Member

Originally Posted by glide2meetu
I am surprised that more people havent chimed in with DTC experience.... not sure why it cleared all the codes. Good luck. I am going to purchase the electronics manual to learn more about the DTC's and such.
Definitely get the Electrical Diagnostic Manual. It's indespensible. Just as necessary, if not moreso, than the service manual. I can figure out most mechanical issues or operations with or without a service manual, but for the computer related stuff you absolutely need the Electrical Diagnostic Manual. I got both manuals thrown in with the purchase of my bike. It was part of the deal negotiation. I've also done the same on all of my recent car purchases.

Old 02-03-2011, 02:37 PM
glide2meetu
Road Warrior

ordered today. I just moved to CO and my bike is getting a 103 upgrade in OH where it sits and once I get it out here I am sure it will register a code or two until it gets used to the elevation! Thats how I learned about the DTC's last year we rode through CO and it was throwing codes on the way up the mountains. Once the dealer cleared them I started researching DTC codes.

Old 02-04-2011, 09:24 PM
2black1s
Elite HDF Member

Originally Posted by 2black1s
... I'll take the bike for a ride tomorrow and see which codes reappear. Like I said in my original post I'll expect to see P0134, P0154, and P0031 as they are related to the 02 sensors which have been removed, but hopefully the other three DTC's will not reappear.
Finally got out for a ride today and rechecked for DTC's. As I had hoped for only P0134, P0154 and P0031 reappeared. All is well!