Ignition/Tuner/ECM/Fuel Injection Need advice on ignition issues? Questions about a tuner? Have questions about a EFI calibration or Fuel Injection? Tips on Engine Diagnostics, how to get codes, and what they mean. Find your answers here.

Completely Disabling Buttonless Fob Security Systems ('07 up)

Old 02-24-2018, 01:30 PM
Killa
Cruiser
Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Got it done,,,worked just as written, THANKS

The following users liked this post:
tar_snake (10-28-2018)
Old 07-08-2018, 11:47 AM
GeordieWarlock
Stage IV
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What about a buttoned fob..!

My Mrs "05" sporty (carb model) keeps not wanting to disarm, if I wait 20 mins or so it will go off after initially trying. Could do with some idea how this can be done as she is afraid to go out on it. This seems to have happened just after changing the bikes battery. Fey fob batteries HAVE been changed
Cheers in advance

Old 08-19-2018, 01:33 AM
UrbanRunner
Road Master

Received 367 Likes on 207 Posts

Great write-up!! Not that I have a security system to disable. I opted for the ABS but saved money on the security system. A decision that I have repeatedly questioned and have considered investing in the system and installing it... until yesterday, and now after reading this. Also, the thought that many bike thefts occur with the crooks just picking up the bike, tossing it in the back of a truck, and driving off seems to weigh against spending the money. Yesterday, a riding buddy dropped his key fob an hour away from our lunch break (bike no starty after lunch) and he forgot his code (had it for his previous bike). What a PITA!! Fortunately, his current bike was set up with a "simple" number sequence frequently used by dealers and then never changed. Trial and error discovered this code (imagine a crook could have done the same). We still ended up retracing an hours worth of ride to recover the lost fob that had been found by an honest citizen.

I'll spend my hard earned $$ on something else.

Old 12-05-2018, 10:07 PM
ddkk
6th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Hello , I was wondering what are the problems to having the security features on your bike ,to go thru disabling it ? Im adding a security siren 2 to my sons bike and am trying to get it married up to the ECM,BCM , it wont sound or chirp upon the on/off or when signals flash in alarm mode. Thinking about trying your procedure in reverse to get it active. Any input would be greatly appreciated. it;s a sporster 2017 xl1200x

Old 04-09-2019, 09:48 AM
Darrell07FLHR
Advanced
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Nexus9
For those of you do-it-yourselfers out there (like me) who don't want to have to make the trip to the dealer every time they want something done, let me relate my experience with removing the TSSM non-pushbutton security system on my '08 Ultra. This may work for other bikes, but I'm not a factory mechanic - so I can only confirm that this will work on '07 and later touring. One of the advantages of doing this yourself is that you can keep your original module (along with a printout of this post) and re-install it at any time without another trip to the dealer, or if the bike's new owner wants a security system.
The factory security system is contained within the Turn Signal Module (TSM), which becomes a Turn Signal Security Module (TSSM) when it is so equipped. If you are disabling the TSSM (do NOT want a security system on your bike) then you have a TSSM installed now, HD p/n 68924-07. This is a roughly cone-shaped device in a black plastic case, mounted vertically under the seat and to the right (starboard) side. Mine was held down with a silver metal clip. The first thing we need to do is replace this item with a NON-security equipped TSM.
So before you go hunting for the TSSM on your bike and removing it, buy the part you're going to replace it with - in this case, HD p/n 68920-07. They are $114 new from Harley, but I found many on eBay and bought one for $24.95 including shipping to my door. You will also need (highly recommended) a 2 amp (or so) motorcycle battery charger to complete the job safely.
Okay - now, we have everything we need to do the job completely. Find the TSSM under the seat of your bike, remove the clip, and lift it out. There will be TWO connectors plugged in to it; remove both. Note that one of the plugs is larger than the other - this is the input, ECM, and turn signal connector - we will use this again. The smaller plug is the output for pager and siren - tape that one up to protect it and set it aside for now. Plug the larger plug into your new TSM, and slide the assembly back into place, carefully storing the loose connector where it won't rattle or take too much wear.
Whoa. That's it?
Nope. If you try to start your bike at this point, it will rumble and die, and you'll be cursing me for life. The bike knows that the security system has been compromised, and is trying to protect you, the owner. Getting it to feel all warm and fuzzy about its new body parts takes another half an hour - which kind of discourages the swap-out-and-quick-getaway-routine by a more unscrupulous rider who just happens to be enamored with your new paint job.
In the next step, we're going to have the bike's ignition (and lighting) on for more than half an hour, so here's the part where we plug in a 2 amp battery charger to keep things live. With the battery charger hooked up, perform the following:

1. Be sure the ignition has been OFF for 15 seconds or more before starting the procedure.
2. Set Run/Off switch to RUN.
3. Turn ignition key on, do not start. Verify that the Check Engine Light and Security Light come on, and wait for them to go out.
4. Attempt a normal start with the Start button. Engine should come to life and then die. The Check Engine Light should light up and stay on.
5. Wait ten seconds. The Security Light now comes on. The ECM has now entered communication mode with the TSM for the next ten minutes. Look at your watch and do something else for the next ten minutes, but don't shut off the bike, let the battery die, flip any switches, or unplug anything electrical. Just polish the fenders or something.
6. In ten minutes, the security light will turn off. Within 15 seconds, turn the ignition key Off and back On. This Off-On motion should be crisp, completed in two seconds or less. The Security Light comes back on, and you have another ten minute wait.
7. When the Security light goes out again, repeat step six.
8. When the Security Light goes out this time, do the Off-On thing, then when the Security Light comes back on again, shut the ignition OFF. Wait at least 15 seconds, during which time you should be (carefully) unplugging your battery charger (unplug from the wall outlet, then from the bike, right...?).
9. With 15 seconds or more gone by, turn your ignition on, confirm the Run button, confirm neutral, and start your bike. You've created a happy marriage between your ECM and the new TSM, and you no longer have to worry about having a key fob or memorizing a security code. Now you can just worry about someone riding off with your bike whilst you're suckin down a brew in the local pub - use the fork lock!
If you're like me, you'll never remember all this two years from now when you're selling your bike, so print this out, take the battery out of your key fob, and put the fob, TSSM, and this paper in a ziplock bag and store it wherever you would go to look for it two years from now. Happy riding!
This worked perfectly on my 2007 road king , but now I have a 2014 FLHX , I think I'm screwed on this new can-bus system .

Old 08-12-2020, 05:50 AM
Kesha
Stage I
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help!!

Originally Posted by Nexus9
For those of you do-it-yourselfers out there (like me) who don't want to have to make the trip to the dealer every time they want something done, let me relate my experience with removing the TSSM non-pushbutton security system on my '08 Ultra. This may work for other bikes, but I'm not a factory mechanic - so I can only confirm that this will work on '07 and later touring. One of the advantages of doing this yourself is that you can keep your original module (along with a printout of this post) and re-install it at any time without another trip to the dealer, or if the bike's new owner wants a security system.
The factory security system is contained within the Turn Signal Module (TSM), which becomes a Turn Signal Security Module (TSSM) when it is so equipped. If you are disabling the TSSM (do NOT want a security system on your bike) then you have a TSSM installed now, HD p/n 68924-07. This is a roughly cone-shaped device in a black plastic case, mounted vertically under the seat and to the right (starboard) side. Mine was held down with a silver metal clip. The first thing we need to do is replace this item with a NON-security equipped TSM.
So before you go hunting for the TSSM on your bike and removing it, buy the part you're going to replace it with - in this case, HD p/n 68920-07. They are $114 new from Harley, but I found many on eBay and bought one for $24.95 including shipping to my door. You will also need (highly recommended) a 2 amp (or so) motorcycle battery charger to complete the job safely.
Okay - now, we have everything we need to do the job completely. Find the TSSM under the seat of your bike, remove the clip, and lift it out. There will be TWO connectors plugged in to it; remove both. Note that one of the plugs is larger than the other - this is the input, ECM, and turn signal connector - we will use this again. The smaller plug is the output for pager and siren - tape that one up to protect it and set it aside for now. Plug the larger plug into your new TSM, and slide the assembly back into place, carefully storing the loose connector where it won't rattle or take too much wear.
Whoa. That's it?
Nope. If you try to start your bike at this point, it will rumble and die, and you'll be cursing me for life. The bike knows that the security system has been compromised, and is trying to protect you, the owner. Getting it to feel all warm and fuzzy about its new body parts takes another half an hour - which kind of discourages the swap-out-and-quick-getaway-routine by a more unscrupulous rider who just happens to be enamored with your new paint job.
In the next step, we're going to have the bike's ignition (and lighting) on for more than half an hour, so here's the part where we plug in a 2 amp battery charger to keep things live. With the battery charger hooked up, perform the following:

1. Be sure the ignition has been OFF for 15 seconds or more before starting the procedure.
2. Set Run/Off switch to RUN.
3. Turn ignition key on, do not start. Verify that the Check Engine Light and Security Light come on, and wait for them to go out.
4. Attempt a normal start with the Start button. Engine should come to life and then die. The Check Engine Light should light up and stay on.
5. Wait ten seconds. The Security Light now comes on. The ECM has now entered communication mode with the TSM for the next ten minutes. Look at your watch and do something else for the next ten minutes, but don't shut off the bike, let the battery die, flip any switches, or unplug anything electrical. Just polish the fenders or something.
6. In ten minutes, the security light will turn off. Within 15 seconds, turn the ignition key Off and back On. This Off-On motion should be crisp, completed in two seconds or less. The Security Light comes back on, and you have another ten minute wait.
7. When the Security light goes out again, repeat step six.
8. When the Security Light goes out this time, do the Off-On thing, then when the Security Light comes back on again, shut the ignition OFF. Wait at least 15 seconds, during which time you should be (carefully) unplugging your battery charger (unplug from the wall outlet, then from the bike, right...?).
9. With 15 seconds or more gone by, turn your ignition on, confirm the Run button, confirm neutral, and start your bike. You've created a happy marriage between your ECM and the new TSM, and you no longer have to worry about having a key fob or memorizing a security code. Now you can just worry about someone riding off with your bike whilst you're suckin down a brew in the local pub - use the fork lock!
If you're like me, you'll never remember all this two years from now when you're selling your bike, so print this out, take the battery out of your key fob, and put the fob, TSSM, and this paper in a ziplock bag and store it wherever you would go to look for it two years from now. Happy riding!
​​​​​​
I have a 2007 Electra glide ultra classic I followed your directions As far as I know I followed them correctly. The bike did everything that you said it would do, except for stay running.
I don't have a key fob. I bought my bike online at auction. It was already crashed bike looks good I had to do some work to the front that's about it. Upon purchasing the bike it did not come with a key fob, no key oh, and no code.
Hope it's help out there!!

Old 11-19-2020, 06:12 AM
Jackie Paper
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,525 Likes on 3,778 Posts

Back in the good old day when crooks weren't crooks, you set the alarm. Now it automatically sets. You need the ability to turn it off to remove it.

If you look at the older biked on fish, only TSSM Harley sales is international model which is autoset and always has been that way. Even on the ones with the off button. If you get a new one to replace one like on my 2004, I would assume, as soon as you key off, the alarm is set.

Old 11-28-2020, 06:55 AM
Zanthamos
Outstanding HDF Member

Received 431 Likes on 360 Posts

International TSSMs cannot have autoarm disabled whereas domestic can, same goes for the HFSMs not sure about the BCMs though. I know domestic BCMs autoarm can be disabled.

Old 03-29-2021, 08:43 AM
ckamin
Tourer
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

I just performed this modification on my 2010 Street Glide which I purchased new 11 years ago. I never wanted the security system to begin with but the only bike I could find in the color I wanted (brilliant silver) had it. The module was about $150 at the local dealership a few weeks ago.

The process was a piece of cake and worked flawlessly the first time- THANK YOU!!!!

One thing I noticed... when cycling the ignition switch, the security light would illuminate for a second or two, then go out for a second or two, and then illuminate again for the 10 minute cycle. And when you said ten minutes, you weren't kidding! I think the security light went out when the timer on my iphone hit 10 minutes and about 10-12 seconds.

Now I don't have to worry about the key fob or any battery drain. Again, THANK YOU!

Old 03-30-2021, 03:19 PM
Nexus9
Cruiser
Received 26 Likes on 9 Posts

Hey guys,
Thank you for all the responses. It's a great feeling knowing that this thread continues to help people out years after I wrote it, and good to know it still works on the bikes from that era. Ride on!

The following users liked this post:
anthonydavo (03-07-2022)

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Completely Disabling Buttonless Fob Security Systems ('07 up)