Ignition/Tuner/ECM/Fuel Injection Need advice on ignition issues? Questions about a tuner? Have questions about a EFI calibration or Fuel Injection? Tips on Engine Diagnostics, how to get codes, and what they mean. Find your answers here.

Sportster Wiring Diagram

Old 06-30-2005, 05:50 AM
Alia1200
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Sportster Wiring Diagram

Guys,

Yesterday I picked up my Sportster from the latest shop to fail to troubleshoot my intermittent problem; so bearing in mind the advice and comments from this site, I am going to have a go myself.

Does anyone have or know of where I can find a Sportster wiring diagram - I have an 2000 XLH883 with 1200 barrells and pistons (no other mods) so the electrics are as standard. I don't mind paying for the diagram (reasonable sums only of course), I just want to make sure I get the right one, first time)

Please be warned though, there is going to be a Harley shaped garden ornament in my back yard 'til I get this figured out, but as long as I can keep the birds from sh*tting all over her, her modesty and pride will be protected.

Thanks in advance

Alison

Old 06-30-2005, 08:37 AM
pococj
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,211 Likes on 461 Posts
Default RE: Sportster Wiring Diagram

Instead of just the diagram, get a service manual. An HD shop will be able to get you one, but Chilton, Haynes, or Clymer also publish them for far less money. Over here I'd try Amazon.com. What do y'all have in the way of online booksellers?

Following are part numbers, prices from J&P Cycles www.jpcycles.com

OEM Manual Part # - 99484-00 $59.99 USD J&P part # 902-153
Clymer 1991 - 2003 Sportster $29.99 USD J&P part # 160-032
Haynes 2000 Sportster $19.99 USD J&P part # 165-207

Old 06-30-2005, 09:46 AM
Alia1200
Advanced

Hi Skip - it seems you are forever coming to my aid...

We do have access to Amazon here on-line but I have hesitated to order anything for fear of ordering the wrong thing; I already have a Haynes Manual for Sportsters 1970-2001 but the wiring diagrams are not very comprehensive...

The last full wiring diagram in the book is labelled 'Wiring Diagram (1992-1993 Models)' but there is nothing to suggest that it additionally applies to later models; all the previous ones are very specific with regard to the years models they represent and further on in the book are Ignition Circuit only diagrams and they are quite clearly labelled.

With being a complete beginner, I don't want to start fiddling with things that are not fully clear to me so I wanted a wiring diagram to compare with the book to make sure I was looking at the right thing.

If you have any insight to offer, I'd be really grateful.

Thanks again

Alison

Old 06-30-2005, 11:54 AM
HDF Tech
Banned
Received 147 Likes on 41 Posts

Alison

Why not give us a rundown on what your problem is in detail ,and maybe somebody will jump in here that had the same problem with a solution

Old 06-30-2005, 12:27 PM
Alia1200
Advanced

Hi Bill,

I described the problem in a post of 26/06 called 'Sportster Help Needed' and then I read your your post of 28/06 called 'Engine Cuts Out - Ignition or Fuel?' and responded by email.

If you think that I need to leave more specific fault information, please let me know. But the response I have had so far pretty much tells me that I need to firstly rule out fuel problems and then troubleshoot the wiring, for which I need a wiring diagram.

Any help or advice however would be gratefully recieved.

Regards

Alison

Old 06-30-2005, 12:48 PM
HDF Tech
Banned
Received 147 Likes on 41 Posts

Alison

I found that post and will copy it here for reference
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I have a 2000 Sportster that started out as an 883; last year (July) my engine cut out whilst I was riding; I safely coasted to the side of the road and tried to start my bike again. Initially the starter turned over but the engine did not fire; after about 10-15 minutes it did eventually start and I managed to get another couple of miles before it happened again. I got the bike recovered to a shop and my mechanic suggested the problem was with the ignition module so I had a new one fitted; at the same time, I had a new coil, plugs and leads. Sadly this did not fix the problem and it has happened with amazing regularity ever since. I only get about 10-20 miles before it happens, and then the bike cuts out and will not start again for about 10-20 minutes. It does not happen when the bike is idling and the lights are unaffected.

Unfortunately the problem has not gone away and to date (as well as the above) I have replaced the circuit breaker and kill switch, and had a second ignition module. Incidentally I have also had new 1200 barrels and pistons!

I have taken it to two different shops and neither can find the root of the problem; although both seem to think the problem is electrical.

This is breaking my heart as I did 37,000 miles in the first 4 years of ownership and have managed less than 500 since last July!

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The first thing I would look at is if you have spark at the plugs when it is in this no run condition, and also if you can, check if you have fuel delivery at that moment. This will tell you where to head to look for the problem. If you unscrew the gas cap when this happened will it restart then? The most difficult thing to isolate is the system responsible for the stall (fuel or electrical), once you are SURE, only then do you proceed to troubleshoot it. If you aren't sure of how to check these systems, let us know and we will explain it for you. I didn't go back and re read all the replies so I hope this isn't redundant to you. Keep us posted after you check out a few things as to what you find for the above suggestions.

The following users liked this post:
MrMe24 (03-19-2022)
Old 06-30-2005, 02:07 PM
oldgeezer
Grand HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Alison, You know, it almost sounds like it is vaporlocking but I've never heard of a bike doing that. You didn't mention if you had a stock carb or not. That might help.

Since you've replaced the critical electrical parts, I can't imagine that the problem is with the electrical system with one exception. You don't by chance have one of those cute little chrome covers over your voltage regulator, do you? If so, it may be causing the regulator to overheat and fail. When it cools, it may be back functioning as normal.

I reckon if it were me, I'd pull the carb and give it a good cleaning, pull the fuel valve, drain and flush the tank and clean the fuel valve screen that's up in the tank, then give it another rip on the road.

Hopefully, some of the motorheads on the forum can come up with a solution. Sorry, I know it is frustrating.

Pat

Old 07-02-2005, 03:18 AM
mikeisglidn
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

this is just my 02 here but im pretty sure you have a vaccume (spelling sucks) operated petcock that has a diaphram, sometimes the diaphram goes bad or gets trash in it. its something you might check out, good luck with your problem

Old 07-02-2005, 10:19 AM
rwb
Novice

Check your coil when its hot, see if it isn't dieing. My brothers did this whenever we went for a long ride. We ended up putting the coil in the oven at 200 degrees for about 15 to 20 minutes then checked it with a VOM. (Voltage, Ohm Meter) Easy to do and it only takes a few minutes.