Ignition/Tuner/ECM/Fuel Injection Need advice on ignition issues? Questions about a tuner? Have questions about a EFI calibration or Fuel Injection? Tips on Engine Diagnostics, how to get codes, and what they mean. Find your answers here.

SERT question

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-2013, 10:07 PM
Jager247
Cruiser
Received 15 Likes on 4 Posts
Default SERT question

I was at my LHS today looking at these tuners. They want $400 for them. I checked Ebay for new unopend ones and see them going for half or less. What's the deal with that? are then un-used never opened one a good deal?

I'm new to the whole EFI thing....

Old 07-16-2013, 08:54 AM
nhrider1
Road Warrior
Received 53 Likes on 51 Posts

Originally Posted by Jager247
I was at my LHS today looking at these tuners. They want $400 for them. I checked Ebay for new unopend ones and see them going for half or less. What's the deal with that? are then un-used never opened one a good deal?

I'm new to the whole EFI thing....
A lot depends on which bike you have. There are better tuners available at similar prices...if you have O2 sensors for feedback.

I don't think the SERT has O2 sensor feedback...its a dated product. The latest incarnation is the SEPST w/ feedback.

If you don't have O2 sensors you are better off with a simple Dynojet tuner or similar product, where you can use caned maps.

Old 07-16-2013, 02:32 PM
wurk_truk
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts

And... I don't think dude knows a SERT from a SEPST from a PV from a TTS.

What part number are you looking at OP? What year is your bike, OP? This EFI stuff is semi confusing to those that don't know whats up.

So, to determine what Tuner may be right for YOUR bike, we will need the make, model, and year of the bike.

What is an LHS? Where you were looking at tuners? Looking won't help, BTW, this IS shopping, on your part, based upon specs of the proper bike and the tuners that function the best for THAT bike. Also, do you wish to do this all your self? Do you wish to have someone else do a tune for you, like a Pro Dyno Tuning shop? It DOES make a difference. If going Pro? You will wish to buy what the tuner recommends and is comfortable with. If DIY, thats a completely different game altogether.

Do NOT spend money until you get a bit more educated.

Last edited by wurk_truk; 07-16-2013 at 02:36 PM.
Old 07-16-2013, 04:52 PM
Jager247
Cruiser

sorry, I should have told you guys what I have. I have a 2013 Road King. I have had it re-mapped after I installed my stage 1 air cleaner. The re-map was also set up for my slip on pipes, 33 inch fish tails. I am wanting something to be able to do future upgrades like full exhaust and cams and such. My local harley shop ( LHS ) has a dyno, but said they cant tune it with out a tuner. They recommended the screaming eagle race tuner over the street tuner for being able to make more adjustments.

That's where i get lost, I'm not sure about making those adjustments myself so paying them seems like a good idea. I see auto tuners as well, but the last thing i want to do is mess up something. The harley shop also said that the V&H tuner was another option.

Old 07-16-2013, 06:48 PM
wurk_truk
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts

If the tuning shop is used to using the Pro Tuner (SESPT), have them tune it with that. That tuner will allow for further upgrades later, too.

Old 07-16-2013, 07:04 PM
rooti
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

What is an LHS? Where you were looking at tuners? Looking won't help, BTW, this IS shopping, on your part, based upon specs of the proper bike and the tuners that function the best for THAT bike. Also, do you wish to do this all your self? Do you wish to have someone else do a tune for you, like a Pro Dyno Tuning shop? It DOES make a difference. If going Pro? You will wish to buy what the tuner recommends and is comfortable with. If DIY, thats a completely different game altogether.

Do NOT spend money until you get a bit more educated.
It is confusing and you do have to do your homework. I spent 6 months investigating (I was also saving up some cash) and I chose the TTS. May not be for everyone but for me the TTS and one of the best dyno tuners was a perfect match. Dropped it off in the morning, picked it up in the late afternoon and smiled the whole way home. I wasn't concerned as much about Hp as I was about having the best running bike possible. I got both...

Old 07-16-2013, 10:41 PM
Jager247
Cruiser

Originally Posted by wurk_truk
If the tuning shop is used to using the Pro Tuner (SESPT), have them tune it with that. That tuner will allow for further upgrades later, too.
Thanks I guess it's time to start saving and educating myself on these