Ignition/Tuner/ECM/Fuel Injection Need advice on ignition issues? Questions about a tuner? Have questions about a EFI calibration or Fuel Injection? Tips on Engine Diagnostics, how to get codes, and what they mean. Find your answers here.

Bike fires up briefly then RPM spike and shuts off

Old 08-14-2011, 10:48 AM
WOS Bishop
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The very first set of flashes right after the initial 2 second light to me look like a series of 7 and 2?

Old 08-14-2011, 11:07 AM
WOS Bishop
Advanced
Old 08-14-2011, 11:14 AM
WOS Bishop
Advanced

If I turn the kill switch off then on, it will fire up briefly for a few seconds then RPM gauge will jump off and bike dies.

Old 08-14-2011, 01:45 PM
WOS Bishop
Advanced

Looks like the ECM could be going out. I sure hope not! If that's the case, it's gonna to be expensive, but I will have to switch over to a carb system

Old 08-14-2011, 04:42 PM
ajayrk
Road Master
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

You don't have any codes. It is just repeating code preparation check

The noise under the tank may be the idle control motor.

Remove the air cleaner box and watch the action of the idle control motor on top of the throttle body. Listen for noise which could mean damaged gears.

When you switch the ignition on the motor will move the throttle linkage off its stop a predetermined number of steps. It is a stepper motor. This opens the throttle for starting and fast idle. As the engines warms it steps back until the throttle is on the hot idle stop. When the ignition is turned off the motor will step in to zero and then step out in preparation for the next start. Switch on and off to check that the motor is working.

Old 08-15-2011, 01:47 AM
WOS Bishop
Advanced

Ok. I saw the motor moving back and forth and that is what the noise is I heard. Can't believe I don't have any codes. When the bike was running, the engine light would come on briefly when I switched gears until I got up in RPMs. I wonder if I reset the codes when I took the battery out to have it tested. The Harley mechanic said that the ECM wouldn't prevent it from starting.
I ordered the TPM sensor and will swap that out when it gets here, but that may not be until Wed or Thurs. Man I need to get this figured out.

Old 08-15-2011, 06:48 AM
ajayrk
Road Master

You are getting there. Not sure about clearing the codes, but if the light comes on briefly and then goes out it is a historical and not a hard code. Fifty starts will clear historical codes.

Also check for faulty grounds at the battery and inside the fairing.

And check the main circuit breaker. Although not your year it may be worth a check.

http://www.pvc.maricopa.edu/~preston/M1151.pdf

Last edited by ajayrk; 08-15-2011 at 07:48 AM.
Old 08-15-2011, 06:20 PM
WOS Bishop
Advanced

Well I be damn! I went out and checked the spark plug wires and just tried to push down hard on them and wiggle them and had the trickle charger on there for a couple days and it fires right up!
Only problem I'm having now is it still stutters at 4000 RPMs. It not throwing any codes like before. I'm thinking new spark plug wires, battery, TPS, or fuel lines. It runs kind of sluggish like it's having trouble breathing.

Old 08-17-2011, 06:54 AM
WOS Bishop
Advanced

Finally got a good code of 4 and 2 which says that it is the CamShaft Position Sensor

Old 08-17-2011, 11:42 AM
ajayrk
Road Master

Time to replace the cam position sensor: 32793-00

Not that hard. Remove timing cover, remove sensor screw, trace wires to where they plug in under the right side cover. Pull wires from the plug, attach a wire to the old wires and pull wires through the loom. Disconnect the wire from the sensor wires and remove old sensor. Install new sensor and pull the sensor wire back through the loom with the wire you pulled through the harness. Attach the wires to plug. Ride again.

Have done this before.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Bike fires up briefly then RPM spike and shuts off