Ignition/Tuner/ECM/Fuel Injection Need advice on ignition issues? Questions about a tuner? Have questions about a EFI calibration or Fuel Injection? Tips on Engine Diagnostics, how to get codes, and what they mean. Find your answers here.

Bike fires up briefly then RPM spike and shuts off

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-2011, 07:07 PM
WOS Bishop
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Bike fires up briefly then RPM spike and shuts off

01 Ultra Classic with stage 1 fuel injection
Brand new Double Platinum Screaming Eagle Spark Plugs
Cleaned Air Filter
43K miles
Aftermarket Battery Tested good

Voltage drops from 12 to around 8-10 when cranking.

Bike started out running starting up ok, but when I would start riding and come to a light it didn't want to stay idle. I replaced the spark plugs and cleaned the air filter. I seemed to run fine after that and it would keep an idle better. I've been having trouble with it starting right up. It would take a little while to start sometimes. I would sometime have to give it a minute and then retry it and it would fire up. This morning after I got it to start after numerous tries I took it to the store and topped off the gas tank. After filling up it started sputtering when it got to 4000 RPMs. If I shifted or let off the throttle it was ok as long as I was below 4K.

When I got home I literally rolled up to the garage and it the tachometer spike up to 4000 RPMs and shut off. Now, IF I get it to start, it will run for a few seconds spike up (w/o engine noise) and die.

Any suggestions?

Old 08-13-2011, 07:20 PM
Race freak
Intermediate

Have you changed out the fuel filter at all. Take off the gas cap and turn on the ignition switch to RUN ( Do not start it) and listen for any hissing in the tank. if so you might have a pin hole in a fuel line.

Just a thought.

Old 08-13-2011, 08:56 PM
WOS Bishop
Advanced

No I haven't changed the fuel filter out. That was my next thought to change that out, but I didn't really want to tear that apart without knowing if that was the problem.

Old 08-13-2011, 10:00 PM
ajayrk
Road Master
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Have you checked for trouble codes?

Have you cleaned the throttle body? The hole at the top of each runner controls idle air and can become gummed up.

Could be a bad crank position sensor or a bad camshaft sensor.

Old 08-14-2011, 08:06 AM
WOS Bishop
Advanced

I have not checked the codes yet. I'm waiting for my friend with the machine to become available. I did remove the air filter and spray the throttle body with carb cleaner. Someone said it could be the regulator or rectifier, but I don't know how to test for that.

I will check into the sensors you mentioned.

Old 08-14-2011, 08:27 AM
soft 02
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,570 Likes on 2,888 Posts

Originally Posted by ajayrk
Have you checked for trouble codes?

Have you cleaned the throttle body? The hole at the top of each runner controls idle air and can become gummed up.

Could be a bad crank position sensor or a bad camshaft sensor.
Crank, IAC, TPS, speed sensor, oil pressure, head temp, MAP and maby a MAF sensor. could be TPS sensor and for 28 bucks id give it a try.

Last edited by soft 02; 07-22-2012 at 07:36 PM.
Old 08-14-2011, 09:35 AM
ajayrk
Road Master
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

No cam sensor. Crank, IAC, TPS, speed sensor, oil pressure, head temp, MAP and maby a MAF sensor. could be TPS sensor and for 28 bucks id give it a try.

99-01 magneti marelli efi has a cam position sensor but no MAP. marelli is an alpha N system.

Check for fault codes:

Be sure the engine run switch is ON (right handlebar), then turn the ignition switch ON, then off a total of four times, leaving it ON the fourth time. After a two second fast flash of the engine light, there will be an error code of longer flashes, one second each, two second between numbers.

Count the flashes. First set of flashes is the first number then a pause and the second set of flashes is the second number. Write the numbers down and post.

44 - bank angle sensor
52 - RAM ecm failure
53- front coil - ROM ecm failure
54 - rear coil 54 - EEPROM failure
55 - tachometer - other module failure
56 - crank pos sensor 56 - cam & crank mismatch (ghost code)
42 - cam pos sensor

Last edited by ajayrk; 08-14-2011 at 09:45 AM.
Old 08-14-2011, 10:24 AM
WOS Bishop
Advanced

OK, I will go out and try getting the codes. Thanks. Be back in a bit.

Old 08-14-2011, 10:39 AM
WOS Bishop
Advanced

It's hard to tell it looks like a long series of flashes. 12-14 each. I'm gonna take a video and post it. Is there somewhere I can post the video or email it?

Old 08-14-2011, 10:43 AM
WOS Bishop
Advanced

There is a weird grinding like or winding noise when I turn the ignition on and then off somewhere on top of the motor. Sounds like under the gas tank on the right side somewhere.

Quick Reply: Bike fires up briefly then RPM spike and shuts off