Ignition/Tuner/ECM/Fuel Injection Need advice on ignition issues? Questions about a tuner? Have questions about a EFI calibration or Fuel Injection? Tips on Engine Diagnostics, how to get codes, and what they mean. Find your answers here.

SERT Pro info urgently needed. Please comment !!

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-2011, 04:33 AM
Aussie_Rocker_C
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default SERT Pro info urgently needed. Please comment !!

Quote below in bold is from another member of this site

Originally Posted by RK09RK
Hook the tuner to the laptop and open the map you have loaded. You can save the map as a new name so you don't overwrite the original map from HD (it's on the disc anyway, but i find it easier to rename the map for easier identification). Anyway, open the map and then expand the VE table front or rear and then select Smarttune and drag it over to a new field on the right. In this field you can open the data fiel you collected. Then hit the button to Generate new VE values. The software inputs what it determined during the ride and highlights the cells accordingly. You can then accept the values. Save the map, and then re-flash it to the ECM. Check Reset adaptive fuel box only, unless you want to collect more data and smarttune again. It takes a few sessions to cycle the bike through all the gears and cells in the map, so keep collecting data. Always press the red VCi button at the end of a ride to save the data onto the VCI. Learned this the hard way and didn't collect an hours worth of riding.... Have fun

My question, i have been working with my screamin eagle race tuner but i am having some problems. I will outline my situation and i hope someone can help. I own a 2009 Rocker c in which i have just installed a 107 c.i. engine with extensive mods (wont list them all as it is not really revevant to this question). My local HD dealer did the engine build for me. When the job was complete we obviously needed to change the MAP to compensate for the changes. I live in Australia and i am using the SERT (orange box) to make changes. Initially we selected a base map that was as close as we could get to my current engine. This was flashed to the ecm. From there we modifed it from 103 to 107 C.I. and changed the injector size to reflect my injectore (5.7 g/s)... Reflashed the ecm again. From there we moved on to the smart tune part of the procedure. This is where I have questions. To do the smart tune I followed these instructions :

- Download current calibration file from VCI
- Save file with appropriate name
- Re-flash ECM with EST and RAF checked
- Put VCI in "record ready" mode (red LED)
- Put VCI in "data collection" mode (flashing LED)
- Ride
- Put VCI back in "record ready" mode (red LED)
- Close program on PC
- Open program on PC
- Load file saved in step 2 above
- Download data from VCI
- Let Smart Tune software analyze data and recommend changes
- Re-flash ECM with ONLY RAF checked
- Save file currently loaded in Smart Tuning program with appropriate name

My question is about checking / unchecking the RAF and EST check boxes. The quote above suggests that i "check" the EST box if i am going to do additional smart tunes. I am very confused about when i should and should not check this box. It appears that i should always chech the RAF box but i am not sure about the EST box. What if i intend to do additional smart tunes. For example, ride, record, download, smart tune, reflash... then day or so later i decide to do another smart tune. in this case should i have checked the EST box ?? When is it not necessary to check the EST box. Sometimes i do a smart tune and reflash the ECM to find it is still not riding quite right so i therefore want to do another smart tune.. Does "unchecking" the EST box when reflashing mean i can now not do another smart tune on the calibration stored in the VCI. Do i always chech the EST until i feel the calibration is perfect then "uncheck" the EST box for the final calabration before the final reflash?? How does this EST check box work... PLEASE HELP as no one seems to be able to tell me what i need to do. What if i flashed the ECM with a smart tune, leaving the EST box unchecked but then later on i decide i am unhappy with the current tune, how do i do another smart tune on the calibration stored in the VCI as it has now been flashed with the EST box unchecked??

Brett

Old 09-12-2011, 07:24 AM
grbrown
Club Member
Received 2,852 Likes on 2,419 Posts

Quite frankly, I would get your bike to your dealer or a competent dyno tuning shop asap. You are trying to learn how to do something that experts get outside training to use!

In addition, to be blunt, your question goes beyond pretty well any technical discussion I have seen on HDF. You may not get any useful help on here. Best of luck and post the outcome.

Old 09-12-2011, 08:43 AM
thedonthere
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I agree with Mr Brown...........find a competent dyno man, get a professional tune and be done with it. Then ride it.

Old 09-12-2011, 08:05 PM
harleytuner
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 216 Likes on 129 Posts

Originally Posted by Aussie_Rocker_C
Quote below in bold is from another member of this site

Originally Posted by RK09RK
Hook the tuner to the laptop and open the map you have loaded. You can save the map as a new name so you don't overwrite the original map from HD (it's on the disc anyway, but i find it easier to rename the map for easier identification). Anyway, open the map and then expand the VE table front or rear and then select Smarttune and drag it over to a new field on the right. In this field you can open the data fiel you collected. Then hit the button to Generate new VE values. The software inputs what it determined during the ride and highlights the cells accordingly. You can then accept the values. Save the map, and then re-flash it to the ECM. Check Reset adaptive fuel box only, unless you want to collect more data and smarttune again. It takes a few sessions to cycle the bike through all the gears and cells in the map, so keep collecting data. Always press the red VCi button at the end of a ride to save the data onto the VCI. Learned this the hard way and didn't collect an hours worth of riding.... Have fun

My question, i have been working with my screamin eagle race tuner but i am having some problems. I will outline my situation and i hope someone can help. I own a 2009 Rocker c in which i have just installed a 107 c.i. engine with extensive mods (wont list them all as it is not really revevant to this question). My local HD dealer did the engine build for me. When the job was complete we obviously needed to change the MAP to compensate for the changes. I live in Australia and i am using the SERT (orange box) to make changes. Initially we selected a base map that was as close as we could get to my current engine. This was flashed to the ecm. From there we modifed it from 103 to 107 C.I. and changed the injector size to reflect my injectore (5.7 g/s)... Reflashed the ecm again. From there we moved on to the smart tune part of the procedure. This is where I have questions. To do the smart tune I followed these instructions :

- Download current calibration file from VCI
- Save file with appropriate name
- Re-flash ECM with EST and RAF checked
- Put VCI in "record ready" mode (red LED)
- Put VCI in "data collection" mode (flashing LED)
- Ride
- Put VCI back in "record ready" mode (red LED)
- Close program on PC
- Open program on PC
- Load file saved in step 2 above
- Download data from VCI
- Let Smart Tune software analyze data and recommend changes
- Re-flash ECM with ONLY RAF checked
- Save file currently loaded in Smart Tuning program with appropriate name

My question is about checking / unchecking the RAF and EST check boxes. The quote above suggests that i "check" the EST box if i am going to do additional smart tunes. I am very confused about when i should and should not check this box. It appears that i should always chech the RAF box but i am not sure about the EST box. What if i intend to do additional smart tunes. For example, ride, record, download, smart tune, reflash... then day or so later i decide to do another smart tune. in this case should i have checked the EST box ?? When is it not necessary to check the EST box. Sometimes i do a smart tune and reflash the ECM to find it is still not riding quite right so i therefore want to do another smart tune.. Does "unchecking" the EST box when reflashing mean i can now not do another smart tune on the calibration stored in the VCI. Do i always chech the EST until i feel the calibration is perfect then "uncheck" the EST box for the final calabration before the final reflash?? How does this EST check box work... PLEASE HELP as no one seems to be able to tell me what i need to do. What if i flashed the ECM with a smart tune, leaving the EST box unchecked but then later on i decide i am unhappy with the current tune, how do i do another smart tune on the calibration stored in the VCI as it has now been flashed with the EST box unchecked??

Brett

The EST (enable smart tune) box should be checked ONLY when you are wanting to do data runs. When you check EST it changes your AF tables to 14.6 pretty much across the board. The reason it goes to 14.6 is because that is the setting that turns your o2 sensors on, (closed loop). For Smarttune to work the bike needs to be in closed loop throughout all the Map load and RPM ranges. You will be done "tuning" it when smarttune doesn't recommend any changes over .5 in any of the cells. Then you can re flash the ECM with the EST box UNchecked. When you don't have the box checked you will be running the air fuel table that you have in your MAP, I will attatch a copy of an a/f table that I typically load when I am done tuning a bike. You can change your AF tables to this when you are done if you like. the red cells are where the bike is in closed loop, which is mainly your cruising area. You'll notice that it gets richer as the RPM's and the load demand gets higher, An a/f MAP like this will pretty much give you the best of both worlds, fuel economy for cruising and richer where needed for performance. There is a sticky in this section about the SEPST that gets into your tuner pretty good, if you want to read up and post further questions in there.

Attached Thumbnails SERT Pro info urgently needed.  Please comment !!-modified-afr.jpg  
Old 09-12-2011, 08:07 PM
harleytuner
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by grbrown
Quite frankly, I would get your bike to your dealer or a competent dyno tuning shop asap. You are trying to learn how to do something that experts get outside training to use!

In addition, to be blunt, your question goes beyond pretty well any technical discussion I have seen on HDF. You may not get any useful help on here. Best of luck and post the outcome.
The smarttune feature of the SEPST is really user friendly, and it does a pretty good job. As I understand good dyno shops are rare in Australia, so he might be limited in his options.

Old 09-13-2011, 01:54 AM
Aussie_Rocker_C
2nd Gear

Awesome information, thank you very much "Harleytuner" so from that i assume i continue to leave the EST box checked everytime i do an ECM smart tune reflash until very few cells are being modified. Then the final reflash is done with the EST unchecked. For some reason i can not view the image file you attached, it says my account has insufficient accesss, is there any chance you could email it to me at btmt@bigpond.net.au please. The AF table you are suggestion i use, is it "generic" for want of a better word, i am assuming (as you dont know my bike set up) that it can be applied to any configuration. One more thing, and i am sorry for asking so many questions, how do i then modify my AF table with yours. Do i load the stored config table from the VCI and cut/paste yours over mine?? if that is the case how do i then save your table? do i need to check any boxes like RAF or EST... the procedure you are suggestion is out of my knowlegde range here. I am looking for my bike to make good power. Regards and many thanks Brett

Old 09-13-2011, 04:32 AM
grbrown
Club Member
Received 2,852 Likes on 2,419 Posts
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by harleytuner
As I understand good dyno shops are rare in Australia, so he might be limited in his options.
We all have to operate within our limitations, or those available to us! I live in the UK and like the Aussies we don't have access to the same levels of Harley expertise that you do! Restricts what we can do and it doesn't pay to over-stretch. However, regarding my earlier post you are providing some excellent advice. As an Aussie might say, goodonya!

Old 09-13-2011, 05:47 AM
harleytuner
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by Aussie_Rocker_C
Awesome information, thank you very much "Harleytuner" so from that i assume i continue to leave the EST box checked everytime i do an ECM smart tune reflash until very few cells are being modified. Then the final reflash is done with the EST unchecked. For some reason i can not view the image file you attached, it says my account has insufficient accesss, is there any chance you could email it to me at btmt@bigpond.net.au please. The AF table you are suggestion i use, is it "generic" for want of a better word, i am assuming (as you dont know my bike set up) that it can be applied to any configuration. One more thing, and i am sorry for asking so many questions, how do i then modify my AF table with yours. Do i load the stored config table from the VCI and cut/paste yours over mine?? if that is the case how do i then save your table? do i need to check any boxes like RAF or EST... the procedure you are suggestion is out of my knowlegde range here. I am looking for my bike to make good power. Regards and many thanks Brett
You got it Brett. Continue checking the EST box untill little or no changes are made. Then change your A/F table to the one I will e-mail you and load it. Yes the one I have is pretty much "generic", it will work on all bikes no matter the build. You will have to manually enter the values in the cells though, the one I will e-mail you will just be a jpeg image so you will not be able to cut and paste it. When you load your final MAP you will NOT check the EST box but you will check the adaptive fuel (RAF) box. Keep one thing in mond though, some MAPs have differn't load percentages and RPM's than the one I will send you, if yours is differn't, just average the cells around it and you'll be fine.

Old 09-13-2011, 06:00 AM
harleytuner
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by grbrown
We all have to operate within our limitations, or those available to us! I live in the UK and like the Aussies we don't have access to the same levels of Harley expertise that you do! Restricts what we can do and it doesn't pay to over-stretch. However, regarding my earlier post you are providing some excellent advice. As an Aussie might say, goodonya!
Thanks for the kind words. We (here in the States) are fortunate, as far as dynos are concerned. But you'd probably be surprised at how many shops that have dynos don't know how to use them properly.

Old 09-13-2011, 08:45 PM
Aussie_Rocker_C
2nd Gear
Thumbs up Tuning my Rocker

Harleytuner you're the MAN. I hope everyone watching this post is sensible enough to use your expert advice. My bike is now running better than ever, and getting better with every smart tune. The emails you sent me explained everything perfectly leaving nothing to "question" at all. The next step now is to get a couple more smart tunes done then change the A/F map based on the one you emailed me. Thanks so much for your advice, this is what forums should be about, good advice, perfect answers achieving the needed outcome. It is GREAT to have experts like yourself here to help at HD forums.

Thanks again !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Last edited by Aussie_Rocker_C; 09-13-2011 at 08:48 PM.

Quick Reply: SERT Pro info urgently needed. Please comment !!