Ignition/Tuner/ECM/Fuel Injection Need advice on ignition issues? Questions about a tuner? Have questions about a EFI calibration or Fuel Injection? Tips on Engine Diagnostics, how to get codes, and what they mean. Find your answers here.

2007 Roadking stop running intermittently

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-2011, 04:15 PM
RK_RIDER
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2007 Roadking stop running intermittently

My2007 Roadking stop running intermittently but I can get it to start and run for days sometimes months other times and only minutes other times simply by cracking open the fuel line at the quick disconnect at the tank and replacing it. It will not run until this is done or the bike sits for a very long time. This fix is consistent but looking for the cause could it be a bad quick disconnect or is the fuel system over pressured or something of the likes and me opening and closing the valve fixes this. Anyone ever have this happen.

Thanks in advance,

Old 11-30-2011, 05:25 PM
Aborigen2
Cruiser
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If i have to take a wild guess i would say the problem is in the quick disconnect valve.
Does the bike quit running all together, or just stumbles when this happen?
Clogged fuel filter (at the fuel pump) or clogged injectors could also cause such problems, but i doubt if your "fix" would have worked in such case.

Old 11-30-2011, 05:46 PM
ajayrk
Road Master
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Fuel pump filter housing cover warped or cracked.

OOPS, wrong year.

Last edited by ajayrk; 11-30-2011 at 06:04 PM.
Old 11-30-2011, 07:37 PM
RK_RIDER
Advanced

Aborigen2,
It quits all together and won't start until I crack open the quick disconnect or let it sit for hours

Old 11-30-2011, 08:20 PM
Aborigen2
Cruiser

Originally Posted by RK_RIDER
Aborigen2,
It quits all together and won't start until I crack open the quick disconnect or let it sit for hours
Thanks, Rider!
Would you be able to answer some more questions?
- Does it happen while riding, or only when idling?
- Quits suddently, or with some warning signs?
- When the engine quits and you cycle Ignition OFF-ON do you hear the fuel pump coming ON? (it should come ON for 3-4 sec. when you turn IGN ON with the Run/Stop in Run position).
- When you try to re-start does it fire up for a second at least, or engine just cranks and no start?

If your engine quits suddenly without warning signs and when you try to re-start the bike and engine never fires up even for a second then it looks like sudden fuel starvation (cut off). If when you turn Ignition ON and you hear your pump working but nevertheless bike won't start then it is either the valve at the quick disconnect, or you have some s---t moving around in the gas tank and plugging the filter on the fuel pump (sediments from bad fuel).

It is just a guess, sediments accumulation shouldn't cut off fuel all of a sudden, you should get several seconds of warning before the engine quits. Then again... who knows?

If i were you I would pull out the pump and inspect it and would flash the gas tank.
Also you can check the quick disconnect for presence of too much play.

Old 12-01-2011, 05:40 PM
CosmoKramer
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Good questions by Aborigen2!

I would add a couple more....how long has the bike been sitting / how often have you been riding the bike in the last 6 months? Is it the same tank of gas?

Also, if you are not hearing the sound of the fuel pump you could have a system relay that is going out. The system relay controls the fuel pump, power to the coil and some other good stuff. Sometimes they do not fail completely. I am not sure about the BT's....but on the sporty the system and starter relay are the same. So a quick check is to swap them. If the fuel pump runs then and the bike won't turn over then the relay is bad.

Old 12-01-2011, 07:38 PM
RK_RIDER
Advanced

Aborigen2,
It happens when riding and has happened on a couple of times at startup.
No warning at all runs great until it doesn't.
I haven't always listened for the fuel pump but the few times I have it would run for a few seconds.
Engine will just crank until I crack the quick disconnect.
Bike is 2007 with 62000 miles on it doesn't sit for long never more than a week except for January and February it may only get used a couple times each of those months I keep it full using CAM2 and a gas stabilizer that time of year I don't think gas is the issue. The bike runs great until it doesn't.

CosmoKramer I think you may be on to something with the system relay I have also had another problem in the past maybe 3 times in 2 years. I will start the bike and look down after riding a while and the alternator light will be on pull over turn the ignition off restart the bike all is fine.

Old 12-01-2011, 08:46 PM
Aborigen2
Cruiser

[quote=RK_RIDER;9099849]Aborigen2,
It happens when riding and has happened on a couple of times at startup.
No warning at all runs great until it doesn't.
I haven't always listened for the fuel pump but the few times I have it would run for a few seconds.
Engine will just crank until I crack the quick disconnect.
quote]

Oh, boy, this is a real brain-teaser!
Cosmo's suggestio sounds logical if it wasn't for one thing - it doesn't explain why just disconnecting/ reconnecting the fuel line "
fixes" the problem. Unless you are doing something else as well, or it was just a coincidence that the bike would start after that?

If the bike runs for several seconds most likely your fuel pump is kicking in on Ignition cycle and creating pressure in the fuel line. Then it could be that due to the vibration at cranking some connection opens up. If it was the System Relay then the ECM would have set an Error Code (have checked for that?). There is a chance that you have intermittent connction to the Fuel Pump and when you are messing with the gas tank that connection closes again and you can start. You may want to check the Fuel Pump connections.

Also, nex time this happens, can you inted of messing with the uick disconnect just tap on the quick disconnect or on the bottom of the tank and see what happens, would you be able to start?

Old 12-03-2011, 05:20 PM
RK_RIDER
Advanced

Aborigen2,
I am thinking along the lines of a fuel system power interruption bad connection at the fuel pump or system relay problem. No error code from the ecm except when the alternator light comes on the few times something about low voltage, which makes sense.
Have tried just taping the valve but only cracking the valve works. Thanks for the advice I have purchased a system relay today and will start there the next look will be the fuel pump connection which I will check while I do a fuel filter change as my dealer failed to do this at its 50,000 mile checkup.

Old 04-25-2015, 10:31 AM
emwolb
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

I'm glad to see that I'm not the only person who's experiencing the same issues.
A couple of weeks ago I bought an '08 Superglide custom and it's showing the same symptoms you described. Now I have an idea as to where to check. My 08 Superglide has 3,200 miles on it and is in pristine condition, and the fuel and/or ignition just started about a week after I bought it. April 18th of 2014, and had me stumped. Thanks guys. My '13 Roadglide ultra will spend some lonely weeks in my shop, cause this summer I'll be riding my yellow pearl fxdc.

Quick Reply: 2007 Roadking stop running intermittently