Ignition/Tuner/ECM/Fuel Injection Need advice on ignition issues? Questions about a tuner? Have questions about a EFI calibration or Fuel Injection? Tips on Engine Diagnostics, how to get codes, and what they mean. Find your answers here.

heritage delphi fuel injection year start

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2012, 01:37 PM
sigmund
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default heritage delphi fuel injection year start

I am interested in a 2001 softtail heritage classic with fuel injection, and I wanted to know if it has the mm injection or the delphi? What year did the heritage begin using the delphi? Any help is appreciated?

Sigmund

Old 02-27-2012, 03:24 PM
scotty3
Road Captain
Received 22 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by sigmund
I am interested in a 2001 softtail heritage classic with fuel injection, and I wanted to know if it has the mm injection or the delphi? What year did the heritage begin using the delphi? Any help is appreciated?

Sigmund
Softails never had the MM fuel injection.........never ever

They were the first to get the Delphi system in 2001 with the Touring line which is the only one to ever have the MM fuel injection getting the Delphi in 2002 while the Dyna's got it in 2004 followed by the Sportsters in 2007 when carbs were stopped all together.

The following users liked this post:
Phil H. (04-17-2020)
Old 02-27-2012, 08:28 PM
sigmund
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Scotty3,

Thanks for your knowledge. Very helpful.

Sigmund

Old 02-28-2012, 09:45 AM

I am not 100% sure that is totally true.

When I was searching for a FI heritage Springer I was looking at 01-03, as the 97-00 models were strictly carbureted. Once Jan 1st, 2012 hit, I realized I could no longer purchase an extended warrantee on a 2001 model, so I limited my search to 02-03.

With that, VERY few 01s were purchased with FI. However, I have read in the past that of the few that there are..... there were a few "leftovers" that were built with the Magnetti-morelli system in 2001. I think it is pretty unanimous that you dont want a bike with the MM system . In 2002, all the FI models were Delphi, which remained an option until 06 I believe. In 07, Delphi FI was standard on all softails, along with the new 6-speed transmission.

Again... if you find a FI 01 model.... it is likely the newer Delphi system... which is great. If you are seriously considering purchasing a FI 01 model, I would recommend you have a pro look at it just to "verify" it is the delphi system. If you happen to be one of the few unlucky ones with an MM system, that purchase could end up being a huge mistake.

Old 02-28-2012, 12:50 PM
scotty3
Road Captain

Originally Posted by ninefourteener
I am not 100% sure that is totally true.

When I was searching for a FI heritage Springer I was looking at 01-03, as the 97-00 models were strictly carbureted. Once Jan 1st, 2012 hit, I realized I could no longer purchase an extended warrantee on a 2001 model, so I limited my search to 02-03.

With that, VERY few 01s were purchased with FI. However, I have read in the past that of the few that there are..... there were a few "leftovers" that were built with the Magnetti-morelli system in 2001. I think it is pretty unanimous that you dont want a bike with the MM system . In 2002, all the FI models were Delphi, which remained an option until 06 I believe. In 07, Delphi FI was standard on all softails, along with the new 6-speed transmission.

Again... if you find a FI 01 model.... it is likely the newer Delphi system... which is great. If you are seriously considering purchasing a FI 01 model, I would recommend you have a pro look at it just to "verify" it is the delphi system. If you happen to be one of the few unlucky ones with an MM system, that purchase could end up being a huge mistake.
Mate no softails had MM fuel injection ever they were carb only until 2000 and in 2001 you had the option of Delphi EFI or carb and it stayed like that until 2006. In 2007 HD stopped all carb bikes.

Touring bikes were the only bikes to have MM efi and they had that option available on certain models from 1995 till 2001. In 2002 they also changed over to Delphi EFI and that was available along with carb bikes until 2006 and in 2007 HD stoped all carb bikes.

Yes some dealers might have had 2001 touring bikes available for sale in 2002 but that don't make them 2002 models!

I wasn't looking for used bikes 11 years after the fact I was around and riding when they released MM and Delphi and know first hand what years they went into the bikes.

So once more NO SOFTAILS WERE EVER SOLD WITH THE MM FUEL INJECTION period.

Besides the fact the MM efi ECM is to big to fit under a Softails seat and only ever fit on the touring bikes.

Last edited by scotty3; 02-28-2012 at 12:54 PM.
Phil H. (04-17-2020)
Old 02-28-2012, 01:59 PM

^^^ I believe you my friend.... I wasn't arguing. I know that MM was never "technically" available on softail models.

Simply reporting what I've heard, and what a long-term tech at the HD dealer in Pueblo told me. He said he saw one (2001 heritage springer, because that is what we were discussing) come in for service that had a MM system on it. The techs at the garage speculated that it was either an engine swap, or HD was "unofficially" getting rid of MM systems in 2001 in preparation for the new Delphi systems, by putting them on softails. They weren't "sure" either, but he did forwarn me that when it came my time to buy..... "if" i found an 01 I liked.... to make sure it was the new system.

I dont know.... I'm not sure I could identify an MM fuel injection system if I saw one up close. I was warned by an HD dealer.... I'm just passing on the info. For all I know... he was crazy. He was a rather old guy though, and I "believe" their lead technician.

Last edited by ninefourteener; 02-28-2012 at 02:02 PM.
Old 02-28-2012, 02:11 PM
scotty3
Road Captain

Originally Posted by ninefourteener
^^^ I believe you my friend.... I wasn't arguing. I know that MM was never "technically" available on softail models.

Simply reporting what I've heard, and what a long-term tech at the HD dealer in Pueblo told me. He said he saw one (2001 heritage springer, because that is what we were discussing) come in for service that had a MM system on it. The techs at the garage speculated that it was either an engine swap, or HD was "unofficially" getting rid of MM systems in 2001 in preparation for the new Delphi systems, by putting them on softails. They weren't "sure" either, but he did forwarn me that when it came my time to buy..... "if" i found an 01 I liked.... to make sure it was the new system.

I dont know.... I'm not sure I could identify an MM fuel injection system if I saw one up close. I was warned by an HD dealer.... I'm just passing on the info. For all I know... he was crazy. He was a rather old guy though, and I "believe" their lead technician.
Sounds like another dealer that does not know what he is talking about.

Harley were still building the MM systems into the Touring line in 2001 so no need to "Use up Parts" so to speak on Softails which had the brand new system so even what they were thinking is wrong.

They probably saw the MM badge on the TPS sensor on the throttle body and got confused.

MM still made the TPS for the throttle bodies up until 2006.

Old 02-28-2012, 08:41 PM
wurk_truk
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts

Scotty is correct, but for the OP... since you are worried about it... very easy to tell.

Delphis all have one fuel hose from tank to TB, all MMs have 2 hoses, IIRC.

Phil H. (04-17-2020)