Ignition/Tuner/ECM/Fuel Injection Need advice on ignition issues? Questions about a tuner? Have questions about a EFI calibration or Fuel Injection? Tips on Engine Diagnostics, how to get codes, and what they mean. Find your answers here.

Assumptions About TTS Mastertune

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2012, 12:22 AM
AK_Rider50
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Assumptions About TTS Mastertune

Am trying to make plans to upgrade from a Dobeck EJK and have been reading up on the different tuners, the TTS looks to me to be best for my situation, are my assumptions below pretty accurate?

Assumptions:
1. The TTS Mastertune is a tool that allows me to view what my ECM is doing, make changes to it on my computer then download the changes to the ECM.
2. The Mastertune does not physically attach and stay on the bike, it connects through cables, downloads as instructed and then is disconnected and put back in the toolbox (or desk drawer)
3. I can download new information to the mastertune and install on the bike via a laptop computer.
4. I will be able to make changes to fuel, timing, rev limiter, speedometer calibration
5. I do not need a dyno and do not have to go to the dealer for anything with the TTS Mastertune
6. Once married to my ECM the Master tune cannot be used on another bike unless I buy the two bike version or upgrade to two bikes (?)
7. The TTS Mastertune does not “auto tune”. All instructions are given to it via computer.
8. VTune is a recording program that shows engine information i.e. AFR, knock retarding etc. but my laptop must be hooked up to the bike while recording this during a ride.
9. The Mastertune has no known quirks like shutting off the speedometer, throwing false codes, etc.
10. The Mastertune is as reliable as the stock ECM.
11. As I am over 60 years old and what my kids call “technologically challenged” I will need to grab a teenager off the street to program my ecm for me.

Old 03-16-2012, 03:37 AM
scotty3
Road Captain
Received 22 Likes on 22 Posts

1. Yes

2. Correct

3. Sort of right the black box just acts as the link between your computer and the bikes ECM so you download information to your computer and upload to the ECM using the Mastertune software and the black box

4. Yes

5. In the right hands and with enough knowledge a TTS can get you to within 90% of a good tune and certainly beats a dyno operator that does not know what he is doing but the TTS in hands of a good dyno operator can get you and even better tune.

6. Correct

7. As long as your bike has stock O2 sensors you can use the Datamaster & V-tune portion of the Mastertune software to bring the VE's into line with the mods done to the bike.
It does not autotune while you ride like the Thundermax.

8. No V-tune just uses the recordings made by Datamaster to adjust your VE's which keep the AFR setting correct. It does not monitor knock or timing events.
You can use Datamaster to do different type of recordings to monitor knock but you need to adjust the timing tables manually.

9. Works great as it does not replace the stock ECM it only reprograms it.

10. See above.

11. 60 is the new 40 so read & learn as you might get in trouble if you grab a teenager

Old 03-16-2012, 09:46 PM
AK_Rider50
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks SCOTTY3, good info and probably save me jail time if I take your advice about #11!