Ignition/Tuner/ECM/Fuel Injection Need advice on ignition issues? Questions about a tuner? Have questions about a EFI calibration or Fuel Injection? Tips on Engine Diagnostics, how to get codes, and what they mean. Find your answers here.

Biketronics Smart Equalizer BT 801 questions.

Old 12-24-2006, 10:57 PM
AsahiToro
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Biketronics Smart Equalizer BT 801 questions.

I've installed Kuryakyn LED turn signals front and rear and also the HD run/turn module on my security (w/siren) equipped 07 Deuce and am having some issues. The problem is that I get normal signal blinking and then gradually it becomes rapid blinking. Also, my security light stays on all of the time. From Kuryakyn's site, I can add two load equalizers back to back, one of them their security compatible equalizer and my problems should be solved. Well, I spotted the Biketronics Smart Equalizer on Custom Dynamics site and am wondering if it alone can solve everything? I like the fact of having one plug-in (no splicing) equalizer that runs cooler and can handle everything if it will work. I plan on adding the HD LED taillight later this week as well. Will this one equalizer plugged into the run/turn module be all I need to handle both front and rear LED turn signals, my LED taillight and security/siren properly?

Also, how does the Biketronics equalizer compare to the Badlands Illuminator III and Ness Tranqualizer?

Thanks for any advice.

Old 12-24-2006, 11:37 PM
Shovelhead Bob
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 21 Likes on 4 Posts
Default RE: Biketronics Smart Equalizer BT 801 questions.

You should have gotten the Kury Run/Turn/Brake module with the Interface adapter for the addition of the TWO Load Equalizers you need......

Kury system needs one Eq for front and one for rear, PLUS you need the TSSM equalizer... (3 Total)....

It is a better setup than the HD, as the Kury RTB has the Brake Light Flash mode integral to it......

Not a real wise thing to do, cross-breeding systems like that, especially anything electrical........

As for the LED Rear light, go with the Kury unit also..... Good construction and seals up nicely....

Old 12-25-2006, 12:38 AM
AsahiToro
Advanced

Thanks for the reply Bob,

I'm not a huge fan of the Kuryakyn taillights. I just don't like the way they look (IMO). Also, I don't want/like the rapid flashing taillight function and I already had the HD run/turn unit (newest model) which does everything I want. The Kuryakyn turn signals are very nice and fit my Deuce HD bullets perfectly with the added benefit of the extra side/lighted ring. If HD would have a decent LED turn signal option, I probably would have gone all HD. I think it sucks that Kuryakyn is making me buy another $30 equalizer to get my alarm light functioning correctly (regardless of if I'm all Kuryakyn or not). If I need three equalizers one has to be that security capable one or I have to stare at my security light on all of the time. I've been doing some digging and I think I can get this working properly/safer with one 'smart' equalizer. I'm just looking for opinions and confirmation of this from people who have used these smart equalizers. This way I'll only have one small, solid state piece to add under my seat that will operate much cooler than the three Kuryakyn equalizers. My LED lights will supposedly be brighter as well since I won't be putting extra load on my electrical system. Oh, it will be nice to be able to operate my hazards without frying anything also. The Kuryakyn setup sounds more risky/complicated to me with the three separate equalizers, extra heat from them all and room taken for the install. I'd rather put that $30 that I'd need for the Kuryakyn security capable equalizer towards a smart equalizer. If the smart equalizer won't work, I'll probably just scrap the LED turn signals and go back to my stock units. HD will probably have an option out eventually to match their LED taillight anyways.

Here's a link to the Biketronics unit:
http://www.customdynamics.com/loadequalizer.htm

Thanks again for the reply.

Old 12-26-2006, 12:30 PM
AsahiToro
Advanced

Just got off the phone with Custom Dynamics and bought the BT801 from them. They said this unit will solve all my issues. Sounds like a no-brainer here:
-1 small equalizer handles everything
-solid state/basically no heat
-easy plug into my existing harness w/no splicing needed
-brighter lights since there is no load being produced
-turn signals, security light and hazards will now function properly
-works fine with the HD run/turn module

Excellent customer service by Custom Dynamics BTW. Very helpful and patient with all of my questions. They are having a sale right now as well so I saved a few extra bucks.

Hope this info helps anyone else who has a similar dilemma.

Old 12-26-2006, 06:18 PM
IndyRider
Road Captain

I had some issues with the Kuryakyn load equalizers and switched to justone BT801 and problems were solved on my 06 RK. My security light may flash just a time or two on a cold start but after that all is normal.

Old 12-26-2006, 06:21 PM
AsahiToro
Advanced

That's great news IndyRider,

It sounds like my lighting woes are solved.

Thanks for the input.

Old 12-26-2006, 07:07 PM
Qball
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I had the 2 equalizers from Kuryakyn and had issues. They sent me two more and staill had problems. I bought the Biketronics equalizer and solved my problems same one you have.) I did have to remove the Led's as the instructions stated and reinstall them to fully cure the rapidly blinking light issue.

Old 12-26-2006, 07:11 PM
tmitchellof PG
Elite HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I switched out my stock rear signals with Kuraksyn LED, flush strut mount, mini lights. I also installed a tailbones converter so the signals work as running and brake lights.
I had to call up Biketronics because I was told the new LEDs would require a load equalizer, even though the ad in J&P Cycles stated no additional load equalizer needed. Biketronics said that J&P had the verbiage in the ad wrong.
They had me momentarily disconnect the batteryand then press my right then my left signal switch.
They said my ECM should adjust for the new lights. It did and everything works fine, so I am happy with the tech support from Biketronics.
Tom

Old 03-16-2007, 11:45 AM
GPLRJBRAZIL
Advanced
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Dear friends, I installed a set of 4 LED Kuryakyn small turn signals and changed the tail light from normal to LED bulb 3157. Everything worked fine without an equalizer except that when I turn ignition on, my turn signals flash 6 times and stop also when I use the turn signals they flash normally the first 3 times than begin to flash faster. I bought a Biketronics BT801 equalizer and when I install it the tail light goes off, only the brake light works. I tried to clear the errors but did not work for me. My bike is a 2006 Night Train FXSTBI. I bought the BT801 at J&P Cycles and I live in Brazil which is not very easy to return a defective equipment. Please help me !!!!!