Ignition/Tuner/ECM/Fuel Injection Need advice on ignition issues? Questions about a tuner? Have questions about a EFI calibration or Fuel Injection? Tips on Engine Diagnostics, how to get codes, and what they mean. Find your answers here.

Like a good challenge - RCK won't start

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-2012, 10:10 PM
KevinKruuz
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Like a good challenge - RCK won't start

2001 Road King with Magnelli EFI - will not start.

I replaced the fuel pressure regulator due to the dealership, after "diagnosing" the issue, told me that's what the problem was.

So far I have replaced the fuel line inside the tank, and the pressure regulator. Pressure seems fine, though I didn't test the PSI. I have a fuel filter kit ordered (it's been on backorder for quite some time).

I have tested for spark. Check.

Put a test light on the injector plugs, after engine turns approx 2 or 3 times, the test light pulses.

A mechanic plugged his diag computer into my ECM and it showed "No Response".

Will not start.

A quick squirt of gas into the air cleaner will cause the bike to run briefly telling me that the problem is probably between the pressure regulator and the injectors.

Could it be the injectors, could it be the ECM not opening the injectors....bad ECM? Crank positioning sensor?

Any ideas?

Thanks to all for your help (in advance)

Old 09-15-2012, 07:56 AM
ajayrk
Road Master
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

It is pretty easy to damage the small o-ring on the regulator nipple. That plugs directly into the fuel line and if it leaks pressure will be low. A little oil on the o-ring will make installation easier.

Old 09-15-2012, 04:07 PM
KevinKruuz
6th Gear

I've replaced the regulator and o-ring. Lubed the o ring prior to installing. I actually even took it back off just to make sure, and reinstalled it.

What other ideas?

Old 09-15-2012, 04:27 PM
Dallas 13
Tourer
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

I think a bad crank position sensor kils the spark...Dawg would know.

Old 09-15-2012, 09:01 PM
KevinKruuz
6th Gear

That's what I thought too Dallas. Rather than throw parts at it, I'm trying to eliminate every option.

What about bad objectors or ECM? Perhaps a bad ground on the ECM?

Old 09-16-2012, 08:06 AM
ajayrk
Road Master

Fuel in the intake starts the bike. You have a no fuel issue. Check your fuel lines for o-ring damage. Also check the o-rings in the tank where the fuel lines plug in.

After the system has primed, pull the fuel lines and depress the check valve in the line to check for pressure. Be sure the line is pointed away from you. Push on the tank check valves to be sure fuel flows in and out the tank.

Old 09-17-2012, 09:16 PM
KevinKruuz
6th Gear
Default Fuel Lines

I've definitely narrowed it down to a no-fuel issue.

When I turn the key to let the lines get pressured....I can disonnect the quick disconnect and it will spray out. I have even gone as far as to disconnet the supply and return lines (seperately) and kick the key on. Both squirted out with seemingly pretty good pressure. I would chaulk this up to everything I put back in the tank to have been done properly.

From the quick disconnects, I believe they connect with banjos. Is it possible for one of those to be bad?

Old 09-18-2012, 10:21 AM
ajayrk
Road Master

Originally Posted by KevinKruuz
From the quick disconnects, I believe they connect with banjos. Is it possible for one of those to be bad?
I don't think so. It is just a post with a cross drill hole with one end a blind hole. O-rings seal the post in the throttle body and exterior o-rings seal the banjo fitting which is held in place with a snap ring. The top plate holds the post in place.

Once again, how are the o-rings and check valves in the tank connection fittings?

Have you pulled codes with the on board tester? Three quick on-off turns of the ignition switch and leave the fourth time on and wait for the engine light to flash rapidly and then slow flashes. Count the slow flashes to get the two digit codes.

Check the condition of the Bank Angle Sensor under the left side cover. Check the condition of the terminals. Code 44 is the BAS.

Old 09-18-2012, 12:05 PM
UltraNutZ
Extreme HDF Member
Received 137 Likes on 108 Posts

have you checked the connection at the ECM? Pull it apart, look for corrosion or dirt in there. If anything you're likely to find green acidic build up. Clean out that connector real good and put some dielectric grease in it and mate it back together..